or Connect

Posts by v5v

That's great. I really like some of the features Maps already has and will get with iOS7 and Mavericks.   Shame they won't do me a damn bit of good since the information it supplies, or more accurately, DOESN'T supply, makes the entire app useless to me.   I live in Vancouver (the Canadian one, not the one in Washington). For some reason I thought this might be the kind of non-USA place Apple would want to focus on, because it's one of the small handful of Canadian...
  I wonder. From time-to-time we see a story that references a carrier's objection to Apple's "daunting" contract requirements. We almost never get details about what said contracts demand or what objection the carrier has, but maybe it's stuff like what's reported here -- commit to a certain number of units over the life of the contract and pay for them whether you sell them or not.   Conditions like that might be part of why Japan's largest carrier still thumbs its nose...
  Really? That's freakin' fascinating. What the heck it has to do with what I wrote, I have no idea, but thanks for the update.     I don't recall ever implying any relationship between that scenario and the new Pro at all. Hang on, lemme go re-read what I wrote...   Okay, I'm back. I was right. I didn't suggest that this was a shortcoming of the new Mac Pro.   You can lower your shields. I have no idea what you think you're arguing against, but none of what I wrote was...
  Normally that would be a sucker bet -- everyone knows Ive has this bizarre fetish for anorexic computers -- but this time they might, just might, take the sensible route for a change.   Both the just-released Airs and rumors about new iOS devices suggest that battery life is the pet design trend at Apple right now, so there's hope...
  13"? You mean 17 inch! What kind of actual WORK can you do on a screen that small? I watched some kid using a 13" Air on the train, and I swear he spent as much time shuffling menu windows around so he could see various parts of the screen as he did actually working.
  I think I'd be willing to pay the premium.
  That depends. If you're starting from scratch, yes. If, like me, you've accumulated external drives one at a time as needed, one winds up with what Phil illustrated. The drives stack very neatly, thank you, but the cluster of inflexible Firewire 800 cables and unruly pile of line lump power supplies make keeping it all tidy practically impossible. I just can't justify the cost of an array unit when I already have this stack of working storage with a resale value of...
  You don't believe calling users "children" and "whiners" is insulting?     I already addressed this: it's NOT about retiring old technologies, it's about dropping support for CURRENT, in-use systems with a vague promise to add it back later. The former is understandable and reasonable. The latter is a "downgrade."       I don't understand what you're getting at. I don't get what the revision of the Mac Pro has to do with the change to...
  Yup, and your iPhone says "5" even though it's actually not the fifth iPhone.   The current version followed version 7. There was no version 8 or 9. You're right though, I shouldn't have referred to it as "version 8" and instead called it the eighth version or incarnation or something.
  Y'know Wiz, I've really enjoyed this exchange but I challenge you to back away from your insulting tone towards users until you've walked a mile in their shoes. You sympathize with the developers' challenges but not those of the users, even though the latter are the ones paying the former!     Of course not, but what relevance does that have to the discussion? FCPX is not a 1.0 product. It's version EIGHT! The product it replaced was not a first or second generation...