or Connect

Posts by v5v

I've been told that even Thunderbolt 2 is only about one-THIRD the bandwidth of a PCIe slot, so external boxes are not really suitable for things like super-high-end graphics cards, and that even cards with lower bandwidth requirements may be a problem when you need a few of them. The six ports on the Mac Pro don't necessarily mean that there are six discrete busses, or even more than one.   I've also heard there are issues with drivers for many graphics cards. Is that...
  Oh, I know. As a CPTK user myself I'm one of them, and I voiced my objection earlier in the thread. In my comparison of that to the FCPX situation I noted that the difference is that Avid only dropped ONE major feature, not several, and it affects only a very small group of mid-range users, not the entire upper end of the market. The other difference is that at least with Pro Tools I can get that capability back just by throwing money at it. FCPX users had no recourse...
  Two factors affect the outcome of the behaviour drblank described:   1. The finished mix goes to mastering before distribution, so many of the deficiencies in balance caused by the inferior monitoring is corrected there.   2. Lots and lots of released material sounds like crap but consumers don't care. As long as they buy it, there's little incentive to strive for better.   The music business is not like the medical profession -- doing it for a living doesn't...
  Not at all. Avid and Adobe know I make my living with their products and have shown respect for that. Both have managed major revisions WITHOUT leaving the upper end of their market in a bad situation. In fact, they actually managed to improve their products support for collaboration and multi-level workflows as part of the rewrite.   Of course, Adobe and Avid don't build computers and smartphones -- they have a much more limited focus which is perhaps why they...
  Because it's supposed to be a *PRO* app, not a consumer product. The rewrite was a plus and I commend them for it, but it's not acceptable to sacrifice critical workflow features to do it. Avid just completed a rewrite of the Pro Tools engine and it didn't become a prosumer product as a result.   Yes, Apple did eventually finish the app, but it took them two years to do it.   The only thing I don't understand is why those who rely on certain features of the "old" FCP...
  The "littlest thing" can sometimes be a really, really big thing. Losing just one codec or breaking one link can bring down a production workflow. Our system is completely dependant on a feature that most users don't even know about or understand. If Avid suddenly dropped it because most users will never need it we'd be screwed. The availability of features like that are part of the reason we use a "pro" app and not a consumer "equivalent." Avid gets that. Apple...
  Mostly "maturity." The product has been around a long time, so the interface and the processing have evolved to where they're really good. The results of applying a process in Pro Tools often sounds better than performing the same function in a "consumer" app. Kinda like 3ds Max vs. Cheetah3D.   Pro Tools also includes some more esoteric, "only pros need 'em" features like the ability to open the audio portion of a video edit session directly, link multiple machines for...
  If you're talking Pro Tools, Native" *IS* a PCI card. It's between the software-only product and the full-DSP HDX cards. I guess o one at Avid thought THAT ingenious naming convention would cause any confusion...    There are still benefits to HDX, like lower latency monitoring. There are other benefits too, but you gotta wonder if they're worth it. I'm running PT10 with just CPU (no HDX, no Native card) doing post for spots, and I can't find a way the hardware would...
  What I said is that it's not a "fact" that Apple can't build a bigger screen phone that meets the criteria Cook outlined. As it turns out, I misunderstood what stelligent meant so there was actually no claim of that even BEING a "fact" in the first place!
  Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were calling Cook's claim of insurmountable trade-offs a "fact." I get what you meant now.