or Connect

Posts by v5v

ALL CPUs are more powerful than the ones available several years ago, no? They're not any more expensive though.       I was thinking about that recently. WHY are they using mobile CPUs? Why not use a desktop CPU in a desktop computer? Why 2.5" drives instead of 3.5"? So it can be smaller? No wonder people accuse Apple of putting form before function.   The only part of the size that matters is the footprint. Once it has "tied up" a certain area, whether it's...
  I'm not complaining, but I'll admit to being confused...   Often new components are released with compromises that are said to, among other things, reduce cost. Yet the products into which these components are installed are not any cheaper. For example, using HD4000 integrated graphics in the mini in place of the dedicated GPU supposedly reduces the build cost, yet the machine didn't get any cheaper -- it just got slightly not-as-goodier.   I know shareholders want...
What I don't get is how Office apps -- ANY Office app -- matters to iPhone users? What kind of work can you possibly do on a screen the size of a playing card?
  The sales numbers for this model, unless really low, will be all but meaningless. It's been so long since Apple updated the Pro that people will be buying them just to have SOMETHING. They'll have to really hate it (or the price) to NOT buy it. There's a backlog of demand for a powerful Mac.
  To confirm: Apple's web site states quite explicitly that it will use Xeons. End of conjecture.   Moving on...
  That's complete nonsense. Hard Drives, even 5400 rpm versions, far exceed the capability of USB2. If they didn't, there would have been no reason for the existence of Firewire 800 drive enclosures, and outboard USB2 drives would be just as fast as internal drives.   There's absolutely no excuse for not upgrading the port on the Airport to USB3. It tarnishes the brand with the appearance of petty cheapness.
  Gigabit Wireless will run circles around USB2. A USB3 port was definitely warranted and its omission is cause for derision.
  Because there needs to be change for the sake of change. Otherwise the line is "stale."   Besides, a vertical format will place the antennas higher which is more important to wireless range and speed than where the device itself is physically situated, as evidenced by the new AirPort.     /s   I actually would not be at all surprised if a new mini DID adopt that form. I'm not saying it will, just that it seems plausible.
  I felt that way too, until I thought about it for a while. Now I don't really understand what difference it makes whether the storage is internal or external?   In a laptop it matters, since external storage affects portability. I even get the objection in the case of an all-in-one like the iMac because it's a device that sits on a desk in a home or office and people want it to look tidy. But when we're talking a production tool, what difference does it make? There's no...
  So, add $1000 to the price of the computer if you use Pro Tools. Unless the Tube is $1000 cheaper than the old model, this is not an excellent value proposition.   I'm okay with using outboard boxes instead of cards, I just don't wanna devote a quarter of the equipment budget to kludges. For this to work, device manufacturers need to board the Thunderbolt bus quicksoon.       True, and I'd accept that. HOWEVER, that hulking mass of Big Mac sits under the desk with...