or Connect

Posts by v5v

We're using a current-generation Time Capsule as a router. We periodically lose our internet connection for a minute or two. Access to other device on the LAN continues to work so we can still copy files, etc., but no browser action. The lights on the modem indicate there SHOULD be internet, but one of us won't be able to open a web page. Our ISP reports 100% uptime on our modem with no dropouts whatsoever.   The weird part is that it's computer-specific. My wife's...
  It was probably designed by somebody who tried fitting an oddly-shaped vertical device into a stack of home entertainment equipment. I very much prefer the design of the new unit over previous styles. It's more elegant and less "boy racer" and can also be STACKED with other devices in a home entertainment system.     Um, not quite "enuff" for this particular slowpoke. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Help me out.
  The operative phrase being, as you mentioned, "with options to disable this" or perhaps even better, an option to "back out of last update." I'd appreciate what you've described on my machine at home, but it's too risky for the ones at work. On one occasion an update to iTunes made it incompatible with the music licensing service we were using to put songs to air. A "back out" option would have made it much faster and easier to go back to the previous version while we...
  That old wag is a tiresome excuse apologists use to dismiss any critical remark as a "concern troll."   The premise that stating one's experience automatically makes them a troll completely ignores the notion that a critical comment from a real user is actually quite likely to be framed in context, i.e. "I usually LIKE Apple products, as evidenced by my owning every single product they've ever made, so you know I'm not just bashing Apple when I say I really don't care...
  I still have the Sony Vaio I used for three years before we switched. It's still going strong. And unlike our old Macs, the optical drive still works!   Resale value matters when you drop close to two large. It's less of a concern when the original purchase is less than half that. Whether an extra thousand bucks winds up in my wallet via resale value or savings on the original purchase doesn't really matter.
  We have that now. They're called "reporters."   Oh, you mean software... that would have the advantage of only requiring the focus of the story to be punched in once...
  Heck, even "not good enough" is good enough, and has been for years. 20 years ago news crews were reporter, camera and audio. Audio was replaced with auto-level control on the camera. It screws up and sounds awful as often as not. Nobody cares. Now we use IP-based systems for transferring material which introduce all kinds of compression artifacts - pixelly images and gurgly sound. No one cares.   Lower-budget stations have now even eliminated the camera operator so the...
  VERY true in our house. We just replaced my wife's MacBook Pro, and I have to admit, as much as I prefer OS X and like the handy features like sync and AirPlay, we were REALLY tempted to switch back this time. Other brands scraping by on razor-thin margins may be bad for them, but it's GREAT for me, and it really heats up the decision making process. I understand the arguments about why a Mac costs as much as it does, but no matter how you slice it, it's a whack o'...
  Gotcha.   BTW, I wasn't trying to challenge you, I was genuinely interested.
  Long hold on the what now? We went up and down through layers and layers of menus. Are you saying there's another way?       LOL! Whoops...