or Connect

Posts by v5v

People may not "expect" touch capability, but I can imagine there might be a fair number of people who are surprised that it isn't more common. Between phones, tablets, a touch-friendly version of Windows and a handful of touchscreen laptops, it wouldn't be a stretch for people to wonder why their PC doesn't support it.   I know you think it's a stupid idea and I don't want to get into another debate about gorilla arms, I'm just saying that, while I think timgriff84 is...
  I have the incredible good fortune to live in an area where I have choice of TV provider -- a cable company, a telephone company and a satellite provider. All three bundle channels. Different bundles on each, but the same model across the board. Not surprising then that putting together a package that fits what we want costs about the same from any of 'em.
  Despite the iPhone capturing video that looks better than it has any right to, I just can't stand using it because of the constantly shifting white balance. I would much rather deal with the consequences of a setting that's not ideal for every angle than put up with the abrupt, annoying color shifts every time the lighting changes a little. It's maddening. I'm not asking for presets or threshold adjustments -- I'm fully aware of how amazing it is to have HD video...
  Well, we're not allowed to read iBooks, maybe we're not allowed to listen to iRadio either.
  I'm sorry, I don't know what a "small city pro team" is. Are you talking about sports? Production crews?
  Both. Using cameras as an example, since that's the focus of the discussion, you can't get a fisheye effect or super shallow DOF without the right lenses, so creative is limited by equipment. A low-quality wireless mic will limit how far from the camera the talent can wander, limiting shot choices. I'm sure there are better examples, but you get the point.     Responses to those who suggest that skill is the principle limiting factor when using low-quality gear. I...
About a million years ago I was using Corel Draw and Paint for reasons I no longer recall, when someone suggested I try Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop instead. I couldn't see any reason to do so, because the feature lists were nearly identical. I quickly discovered that wasn't the point.   While both Corel Paint and Photoshop provided nearly identical methods of cutting, painting and blending, such operations invariably yielded better LOOKING results in Photoshop...
  I don't know how you get from "some will fail" to "it won't work." Why do smaller channels need to be "protected?" If they fail they obviously weren't popular enough to warrant their existence. We don't force patrons of popular restaurants to take a certain number of meals from smaller, less popular restaurants. It would be ridiculous. If a restaurant isn't popular enough to survive, then it goes, even if the few people who DID like it are disappointed.   If a channel...
  Actually, the case of a camera with no optical zoom strikes me as the best application for as many pixels as possible. That way I can crop the image down to the intended subject while still retaining sufficient resolution for good detail.
  I semi-agree with the first part of that sentence and disagree with the second.   In my work I am sometimes forced to use equipment that is lower quality or less fully-featured than I would like, but most of the time I make sure that the "tools available" are of high enough quality to satisfy the requirements of the project without significant compromises. Part of my job as a professional is making sure I have the right gear for the job.   I don't see any reason not to...