or Connect

Posts by v5v

Got a source for that?   It sounds like it might be an exaggeration of a story from Taiwan, where trade officials, not the courts, are investigating Samsung for paying some students to post phoney "reviews" on a web site.   That story made it to BBC's site, but it's pretty lean on details -- nothing about which web site they were posting reviews on ("a local web site") or how Samsung recruited them. Either there's more to the story or it's rather poor...
  So Kevin Peterson who signed up here the day the article was posted and has exactly one post, in defence of Path, may I humbly suggest that referring to someone who has had trouble with an app as "an idiot" is not exactly the way to win converts to your... um, 'path."
  Huh? It was stated right in the article this posting is about. He specifically refers to using Android.
  Seriously? You want to compare operating the touchscreen of a portable computer to the century-old method of holding a telephone? We may not have enough common ground to warrant further discussion.
  Almost undoubtedly. The absence of an up-to-date Pro is what prompted them to look elsewhere in the first place. They probably wouldn't have bothered if there had been a current model available. The Mac tower has always just been a given.         ...and go way up from there. While these might have been less expensive than a Mac Pro, it wouldn't have been enough to matter all the much in the context of a system buy. The change wasn't to save money, it was to fend off...
  Your implication being that making the iPhone screen wider would result in "[...] a piece of absolutely worthless crap, usable by no one," a position I vehemently contest. I submit that if what you say is true, the iPad must be a piece of absolutely worthless crap, usable by no one, because it employs a less-rectangular/more-square aspect ratio.   The only argument I can see in defence of a tall, narrow screen is being able to reach corner-to-corner with a thumb while...
  Lemme see if I have this straight -- you don't want a bigger phone because it has to fit in your pocket, so for browsing you take along an iPad. Now you have TWO devices to carry around, one of them being large. How is that better? Personally I'd MUCH rather have just one, larger device that serves both purposes.   I agree with you and others who have opined that an iPad mini is too large to be a convenient phone replacement. I would prefer something sized in between...
    ...and they did. Our primary Avid suite, once the foundation for Apple technology in our plant, is now running on HP machines. Engineering refused to pay premium coin for woefully outdated hardware so they went with Windows instead. On the audio side, the latest version of Pro Tools offers serious workflow improvements but won't run on our 2009 Mac. In the absence of a "new" Mac Pro the fear is that we'll wind up with Windows machines, too.   Inertia is hard to...
  Based only on the 15 minutes or so I spent comparing while waiting for my turn at the Genius Bar, my reaction was that the Retina display looks better than the standard display, but not so much better that it would matter to me one way or the other.     You're right. Illustrator and Photoshop have been updated with Retina compatibility. The other two titles I use from time to time, After Effects and InDesign, have not.
  Lightning cable? Is that a mistake? Why would it connect with a Lightning cable rather than a Thunderbolt cable?       Isn't the USB3 spec 5Gb/s? Is this an error or are the USB3 ports really only capable of half speed?