or Connect

Posts by v5v

Me? Honestly? "What am I missing? What the hell do these people want? What is missing from my product offering that's keeping them from buying? Features? Service? Price?" That's what I'D ask, but I don't have Tim's experience.   I understand your points. I just don't know how a guy like me makes Apple aware of the trigger issues for "stale buyers."   I haven't purchased an iPhone since the 4. By the time I was out of the contract, other players were offering bigger...
  I get that, and it's part of the reason I'm clinging to an old iPhone 4, hoping Apple will soon offer a 5"-or-bigger iPhone, rather than just buying a Samsung.   That's starting to erode for me though, as the so-called "eco-system" just isn't RELIABLE.   Is it just me, or have others experienced these things?   - Message app ignores some messages, displays others only after several minutes; displays messages out of order; fails to send some messages at all; fails to...
  Based on the many, many, many expressed desires stated on this very forum, I strongly disagree.
  It demonstrates what many have said but many others continue to undervalue: that Apple's so-called "eco-system" is a significant part of what drives their brand and deserves more attention when comparing Apple's products to those of its competitors.   For example, I really, really like the idea of a phone with a bigger screen than the iPhone, but I have not purchased a Samsung because of the time, money and effort I have invested in phones, computers, peripherals and...
  I'm sure that's part of it, but it goes deeper than just not understanding the intricacies. Let's take a few examples:   Aspect ratio? Apple has already deviated from a path of consistency with the iPhone 5, so that argument seems odd, but if it's actually even an issue at all, it's not all that great a challenge to just pick a size and pixel count that work well with existing models. Or finally just ditch the bitmapped system that imposes such limitations in the first...
  If there's a better argument for a voice-enabled iPad, I can't imagine what it would be. This is the winner! Great point.
  Which seems odd, because they obviously understand the need for more than one kind of "traditional" computer. I'm not sure why they seem to feel that there should be any less diversity of usage scenarios and buyer preferences when it comes to hand-held devices.   The the idea of having both smaller and larger iPhones, or an iPhone and an iPad with voice, is no more or less preposterous than the existence of both MacBook Air and MacBook Pro. The buyer is given a choice...
  Without getting into the semantics of who falls into which category or which devices fall into which category, I would suggest that the huge number of people buying large-screen phones is a pretty clear indication that there *IS* demand for something that serves the purposes of both compact tablet and telephone. Take a ride on your nearest subway and look around. They're everywhere.   Resisting integration also seems inconsistent with, or even contrary to, the direction...
  If they did this we would have added two Airs to our Apple arsenal by now. For the things we want to do with a portable computer the flat form factor of a tablet makes it awkward to use. A tiny, light "laptop" style device is much better suited to our needs, but there's no WiFi where we would use them.   I think we're at a point in personal computing where having at least a cellular option for laptops makes sense.
  What's harder to carry -- a 7" smartphone or a 7" iPad *AND* a telephone? If one is carrying an iPad anyway, why not consolidate the two?   The whole point is that the device is not ONLY for phone calls. That's one function among many. A size that's good for a phone is lousy for a handheld computer, and, to a lesser degree, vice-versa.   If the desire is to have only one device that serves multiple purposes, trade-offs have to be made. *I* would prefer to trade...