or Connect

Posts by v5v

Sure, for the base model with only 16GB storage. Bringing it up to 128GB will add an incomprehensible $300!
 For effects rendering, is the benefit of a better GPU limited to improving the number of frames per second that can be played in real time or does it actually do part of the computation that would otherwise be done by the CPU? In other words, if I have two systems that are completely identical except for the GPU, and I tell them both to render a complicated effects sequence to disk, with the further assumption that there is no disk speed bottleneck, will the one with the...
 2008 Mac Pro 2.8 Quad with 10GB RAM using an internal 7200rpm Seagate drive. A typical file is around 10 seconds or so, output from After Effects using the Animation codec. 1080p, 8-bit x 4 (RGB+A), all keyframes (i.e. no intra-frame compression). If I try to play it with Quick Look or QuickTime it'll play only the first 15-20 frames. The progress bar will continue to move, but the video will be "frozen" on whatever frame it played last. Sometimes it will manage to spit...
 I don't know if I've been given bad information or if I just misunderstood what i've been told, but either way I was obviously wrong. Thanks for the help. It makes sense that having to "reconstruct" a compressed video feed would be more demanding than playing an uncompressed file, but then why are modest systems able to play movies from the iTunes Store just fine while being incapable of even a few frames per second of XDCAM or Animation-encoded material? Is it really...
 I'm confused (as usual). Please bear with me -- I try hard but I'm just not that bright. I thought drive speed was only half the equation. Assuming a drive that can deliver enough bytes per time interval, a working system then requires a graphics processor capable of figuring out which pixels go where and assigning them all spots on the screen sixty times per second. My understanding is that uncompressed video places much higher demands on the GPU than something like...
 That would be enough for 90% of what we do because most of the time the editor gives us a "screener" (compressed) version of the video, but every so often we have to work with the same video the picture editors do which means either an animation codec (just one small step short of uncompressed) or XDCAM. In those cases having to use HD4000 would be maddening!  NOOOO! Then I'll have waited for nothing! They'll give us at least 5000, won't they? Please say we'll get SOME...
 We're getting new Macs for various Pro Tools systems at work. The radio studios just went with minis. We probably would on the TV side too, except that we occasionally need to play high-bandwidth video on ours. I'm not convinced the HD4000 in the mini is up to the task so we're waiting for a Pro. If not for that single demanding requirement, I think a mini would have been perfectly capable of hosting a professional audio-for-video workstation. Speaking of minis, has...
 Right, not considering typical human impatience, of course. If the waits were a lot longer I would undoubtedly become impatient even though there's no reason a job has to finish at any particular time. Fortunately, because the tasks I use it for are CPU intensive and one can get a mini with a decent CPU, it does a decent job.  The latter. Mine's headless. It's connected to the living room TV via HDMI but that never gets used. I control it with my laptop via screen...
 I have one machine dedicated to transcoding and rendering. I used to use a Pro, but it was overkill since that kind of work is really CPU intensive and doesn't benefit from the dedicated graphics card and swappable storage in the Pro. I now use a mini. At $1500 it's half the price of a Pro and is almost as good. I don't care if a render job takes 20 hours or 26. I might care if I was chasing deadlines or if the difference was much larger, but it's just personal stuff so...
 Well yay for you. I assume you produce videos for several different series and load multiple episodes of each on your iDevice for proofing and showing clients? Oh, you don't? Then what the funk do YOU know about how iOS7 handles TV shows from sources outside the iTunes store? You've never had Safari just completely freeze up and refuse to open ANY page without a reboot? If that's what you claim you either use Safari very, very little or you're dropping a little white...