or Connect

Posts by v5v

No, but I think Tim and his crew may have different priorities than many smartphone buyers.   For example, one of the things they might have to sacrifice to get a larger screen is color accuracy. To Apple, that matters. To many buyers, it doesn't. People aren't using colorometers to calibrate their 4" movie viewing experience. Heck, they're not even comparing black levels when choosing a 50" TV. To that buyer, the ease-of-use provided by a larger screen may be a higher...
  Therefore it doesn't matter if Apple's service works or not.   Or is that not what you meant?
  I don't know how things work at Apple so I have no idea whether Cook is a consensus guy or not. I do know that willingness to listen doesn't have to mean ruling by committee though. I work for a guy who will listen to my opinions and respond with either "That's a good idea" or "I understand what you're saying, but I still think this is the best way to go." He's secure enough to realize that others may have good ideas too, but confident enough to reject them if he...
  I am by no means qualified to comment on matters related to the market or management of a multibillion dollar corporation, but as a customer (as opposed to an investor) I actually feel more comfortable with Cook at the helm than Jobs.   Jobs had imagination that may or may not still exist at Apple. He "invented" entirely new categories of products the world had not imagined before he created them. I always felt like he was telling me that he knew better than I what's...
  In Canada the smaller carriers are trying something along those lines and it seems to be well received. They offer a "tab" that one pays back at $X/month until the device is paid off. Cheap devices require no initial payment, the full price is amortized over the tab period. More expensive devices require a lump payment up front in addition to the tab payments.   It's not really much different than the subsidy model except that ones' bill is reduced once the device is...
  I gotta be missing something here... I also defeated the security code because, like igriv, I found it a nuisance to have to enter it every single time I use the device. Get a text, enter the code to respond. Put the phone back in my pocket. Get another text, enter the code again. Got an email. Enter the code. Wanna check what time the game starts tonight, enter the code... you get the idea.   I understand that this is obviously necessary to provide security, but like...
I don't understand why Apple doesn't just make their own head unit. A double-DIN chassis with a place to snap an iPhone into the front bezel. Most "integration" systems unnecessarily duplicate the screen and touch controls, and provide a less convenient and intuitive user interface. The phone itself already provides everything needed. Maybe include a big knob or two for volume/bass/treble/tuning etc.   Provide interface units for common steering wheel controls, or...
  I understand that, but don't see how it contradicts my point. If the iPod Touch sells 20% more units than the Nano, does that mean the Nano is not a justifiable product? Why does the cheaper phone have to match or outsell the top model to be "worth doing?" What's wrong with 27 million iPhone 5 and 15 million iPhone Lites?   Further, how many of those iPhone 4/4S sales are buyers that Apple would otherwise not have had at all? In other words, if their only choice were...
  We don't have breakdown figures for 4 vs. 4S -- could be 90%/10% or 50/50 for all we know -- but it doesn't really matter. The point is that cheaper units are selling just as well as the expensive unit. If that's not a solid indicator of demand for a less expensive Apple phone, I don't know what is.         Why do you automatically assume "crappy?" Was the 3G crappy? How about the white MacBook? A plastic back is hardly the ultimate arbiter of a device's durability,...
  Lemme know how that works out for you on the subway. Or in rural Saskatchewan. Or in my "as bad as a Faraday cage" workplace.