or Connect

Posts by v5v

Apple decided to create a display system that no longer uses the industry-standard display format. For marketing reasons they kept it secret, so developers did not have advance opportunity to adapt. Apple is the only manufacturer to do this and its users are only 10% of the market.   If I'm a manager at a software company whose job is prioritizing work, I'm not sure making my title "Retina Compatible" would be high on the list. Between not feeling particularly inclined...
  By HiFi, do you mean sound system? What sound system do you have? For it receive a stream from an Android device it must have some kind of receiver built into it. It's the equivalent of having an Apple TV or AirPort Express, except that it happens to be built-in to the sound system.   This isn't a case of Allshare working while AirPlay doesn't, you just happen to have purchased a sound system that has an Allshare receiver instead of AirPlay. You could have just as...
  Internet into the home shouldn't have any effect on AirPlay stalling, since AirPlay only involves devices on the LAN.
  The newer/faster Time Capsule here.   When I switch into blind speculation mode I imagine lots of scenarios that might be the root of AirPlay occasionally becoming AirStop, but every time I try to fix one thing it just results in two other things breaking so I'm better off leaving it up to Apple to find a remedy!   For now it's not a big enough problem to bother me that much, so I just accept living with AirPlaysForWhileThenStops.
  I don't know why, but it happens here, too. iTunes on the MBP playing through the ATV. Music plays for a while, then for no apparent reason it just stops. If I pause iTunes and hit play again it resumes, but I'd sure like to know why I have to do that. Scratch that. I don't CARE why. I just don't want to have to DO that.   We never had that problem with the old Airport Express, at least not at our house.   I wonder if it's the timer on the ATV thinking it's time to...
  Yes, if it's less than a year old.   Age of hardware may be another reason adoption of AirPlay is low. In our house we have two iOS devices and four Macs. Of those, only the Mac we bought last week supports AirPlay. As the other devices are replaced over time, our use of AirPlay will increase.   EDIT: I'm wrong. MIRRORING requires a very recent Mac. AirPlay via iTunes is supported on machines up to four years old.
  YES!!!   By the time the Harmony goes through all the steps to switch from my wife's soap to the Apple TV, we've lost interest in whatever it was we were going to Airplay. That's with a programmed, single-button=to-switch remote. People with more conventional setups are even LESS likely to bother.
  No they're not. In fact, their revenue projections are up thanks to the subscription model.   http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/19/us-adobesystems-results-idUSBRE92I14520130319
  No. Apple's construction responsibility is not related to fixtures and layout, it's basic infrastructure. The building is not yet to the point that a tenant can come in and build out their space.   As stated in the article:     There is a two-storey-high space in our building in with a "loft" second floor covering approximately one third of the space. The new tenant is in the process of tearing that out. If they got half-way through and stopped, the space would not be...
  I have some spare keyboards if you need one with a working period key...