or Connect

Posts by v5v

In our house, the line between the home entertainment system and our computers is blurring. In fact, one of the sources in our HEC *IS* a computer.   All of our sources feed an AV receiver that acts as a source selector for the speakers and the display. Those sources are a cable box, a Blu-Ray player, an Apple TV and a Mac Mini. The Mac doesn't see much use as a source of entertainment media -- the Apple TV takes care of that -- but since the role of that computer is...
  In my case, voice calls are no longer the primary use of the device, but that doesn't mean I don't use it as a phone at all. That means an iPad, which is not capable of standard phone calling, is rather obviously not an option, don't you think? If they add a telephone to the iPad Mini, THEN I will buy that instead.
  Excellent question. She doesn't. I just noticed that the difference in price between 8 and 16 is small enough that as long as I have the machine open anyway I might as well pack it full. Same reason we're going with a 750GB drive when 500 would probably be fine.
  I dunno. Why is there an iPod without apps? Or why is there an iPod WITH apps? Why does the 15" MacBook Pro have a discrete graphics card while the 13" doesn't? Why does the larger iMac have user-accessible RAM slots and the smaller one doesn't? Why can you get a 7200RPM 500GB drive in the server version of the Mini but not in the standard version?   Like I said, I don't know why/how/if Apple would implement such a plan... that's not what I'm addressing. I'm saying that...
  So what are the fundamentals of a smartphone? Voice, text, web? Media player? Something else?   Consider the iPod Touch the equivalent of the current iPhone. The Nano could be a model for a less expensive iPhone. Still a phone and media player, but without Apps.   I'm not saying that's what they will or should do, I'm just saying that it's not at all "un-Apple" to offer varying capabilities and price points within a product line. The iPod line is an example of how they...
  iPod Shuffle, Nano, Touch. Good, better, best. Cheap, affordable, "Ouch."   So there's at least some precedent for that approach in Apple's history.
  That would be one of the issues for anyone doing multi-window work. Many "clerical" people already have dual monitors, so the screen real-estate provided by a tablet is one of the obstacles to be overcome.     I agree with your points about there being no inherent obstacle to multi-user environments or accessing outside data, but there's still the issue of enterprise-level software developers making their products available on portable platforms.       If we're talking...
  Thanks Marvin! I appreciate that info!   Just wondering... any idea why "migrating" large files is slower than copying them? Not that it matters, it is what it is, but I'm curious.
  My take on it is similarly anecdotal and unscientific -- observing what people are using on the train to and from work, and the streets downtown (where everyone has their nose buried in a screen as they stroll aimlessly into traffic and bump into each other).   The 50+ set in my sample seem almost invariably to carry two devices -- a reader and a phone.   The majority of the phones are so far still iP4/4S but that margin is shrinking.   The segment that is growing is...
    There's no such thing. The storage may be free, but the data plan for transfer to and from it isn't.   His point about accessibility is also valid. My day involves extended periods with limited or no internet access (subway anyone?). I understand the concept and would love it if I never had to carry local files, but I don't think that vision is really viable yet.