or Connect

Posts by v5v

Whose office is that? Not ours. Ours involves dozens of people all working in the same media management software simultaneously. The app includes scripts for every item, so it's typing intensive. I would humbly suggest that an iPad is less well suited to that task than a simple desktop computer.   I would also respectfully suggest that what you list as tasks do NOT actually represent the typical 21st century office. Sales people access inventory and contact management...
Sorry, I'm not understanding how this works. HD Audio is still a "voice" technology that requires a "telephone" as opposed to just a data device, is that right? It uses some technology that is not part of the "data" allotment?   If the above is correct, why do the carriers continue to invest in voice-only technologies like this? Wouldn't their long-term options be better served by moving everything onto the "data" stream?
  LOL! Nicely phrased! Thanks, Marvin!   Does it need to be a crossover cable or will any ol' ethernet cable do?   I've never used Migration Assistant. Sounds like... um, "fun."   What I'm hoping to avoid is the week or two of moaning associated with "Aw dammit, I had it set up JUST the way I like it before and now I have to do it all again..." and "Password? This has a password? Damned if I remember what it is..." and "It wants to know the incoming server name for my...
So when my wife gets her new Mac, my intention is to restore from a Time Machine backup of her old machine, but now I'm wondering if that's a good idea. Is any of the Time Machine image hardware-specific? I remember years and years ago taking a system drive out of one computer and dropping into another and it barfed because it was trying load files for hardware that didn't exist and failing to load files for hardware that did exist and overall it just didn't go at all...
  1. Price of the machine. With 16GB RAM and 750GB storage, the Reitna costs half-again as much -- around $1000-ish more.   2. Price of storage. She liked the idea of SSD until she found out how much it costs.   3. Ports. The non-Retina model still has Firewire and Ethernet. Not deal breakers, but handy for our situation.   4. She seems to think she'll use an optical drive (she won't) and prefers having it built in over using an external.   5. The Retina display doesn't...
  "Tell?" Yes. "Evangelize?" No. I've sometimes found tools that I thought I should mention to others because they were very useful to me and others might not know about them, but whether or not others choose to use them doesn't matter to me.   BTW, my comment wasn't meant to criticize, just to state that I don't understand it. Similarly, my mentioning that it seems (at least to me) to be more prevalent among Apple enthusiasts wasn't a shot at Apple users, but just...
  I read that to mean they were using the SGO system the way you or I would use After Effects. I couldn't find anything in the article that mentions what was used for the final hi-res 3D cut. Not that it matters really, since it sounds like all the "creative" was done in FCPX and whatever they used to assemble the final was just following an EDL.
  Thanks!   I always start with OWC too, but for some reason always seem to wind up buying from Crucial, probably because in addition to coming from a known supplier, it's usually a little cheaper.   In case it should ever come up, and for the benefit of others who may read this thread, I don't recommend that Canadians make Newegg their first choice. Despite having a .ca web site, the product comes through American distributors which may result in warranty headaches. I...
  Cool! Thanks a million for the help!   I know a lot of people on AI have preferred vendors for RAM, do you? I've always used Crucial and haven't had any problems, but I'm open to suggestions.
  "Yep" it can support 16GB or "Yep" there's a reason Apple only offers 8GB?