or Connect

Posts by v5v

I can't imagine why they would, unless buyers of higher capacity models really are subsidizing the base model so that Apple can advertise a lower "starting at..." price. If that's actually what's happening, and we have no way of knowing whether it is or isn't, it's just your "might be" explanation for the huge price spread from bottom to top capacity, one COULD argue that it puts Apple in the same category as the car companies that offer a base model at a very...
  I didn't say eliminate the lower capacity models. I said reduce the spread and/or even out the profit margin. Why would you or anyone oppose that approach?
  No one is disputing any of that. What many of us ARE saying is that the spread is too wide and puts too much of the profit burden on those who want higher capacity.   The bottom line is that a $300 hit for a few GB of flash is not a good value proposition for the consumer. I'm sure Apple is perfectly happy with the arrangement and I'm sure they've carefully calculated the best way to maximize their sales and profits. None of that matters to ME as the buyer though. I'm...
  You think? Recent generations of low-end pro / upper-end prosumer video cameras are moving to Class 10 SD for storage, and that's for 50Mb/s streams. The higher-end cameras still use dedicated systems like P2 and SxS, but it's starting to look like the trend is towards the cheap/small consumer formats. That makes me wonder how much of a speed and reliability loss there is compared to on-board storage.         There's no reason to span across multiple cards, is there?...
  I can see how a cloud system might mitigate storage requirements somewhat, but it doesn't reduce the amount of memory the system needs to run efficiently. I don't understand that statement.   As for storage, there are a couple reasons I'd still rather have lots on-board.   First, I spend most of my life in places where WiFi is not available and cell data is weak, slow and intermittent. Cloud storage is simply not accessible most of the time. That's probably not true for...
  So if you're only tracking a couple guitar parts, why would you need the extra storage capacity? I think that's the point -- that using music recording as a premise for increased storage seems kinda strange. If you're doing work that requires tons of storage, the portability of an iPad probably isn't going to provide much benefit, and in a situation where the portability of the iPad is an asset, you're probably not going to need that kind of storage.   I suppose you...
  Fair enough, so bear with me as I present it another way: I resent having to subsidize the cheapskates in order to get a higher capacity device. If the exorbitant margins on the higher capacity devices are, in fact, necessary to allow a lower base price, then yes, I think the entry-level models are priced too low.       One of my pet peeves, so I can't help myself here. "Begs the question" does not mean "logically leads one to ask." If an argument is based a flawed...
  Understood. Of course, over the period of time that the mouse went from "optional" to "essential" the UI, software design and OS all evolved significantly, so that using a mouse was no longer a real inconvenience, and all major apps continue, to this day, to provide keyboard shortcuts for most functions.   I would expect touch on laptops to follow the same path. Just another alternative for now, used mostly in collaborative settings, perhaps becoming more commonplace...
  You said you wanted to live in a world with no zinc, Jimmy!
  Actually, there's been a fair amount of discussion in these forums about the potential benefits and liabilities. The objections are "gorilla arm" and a UI that's not really tuned for touch input, while those who want it say that some touch input is better than none, and that having it doesn't mean having to throw away your keyboard and mouse. It's just one MORE way of interacting with the machine, not a replacement for anything else.         Then don't touch it. Just...