or Connect

Posts by v5v

Nope. If you take the comment in CONTEXT, as opposed to tearing down any statement into tiny little bite-size pieces that obviously don't hold up in isolation, you'll see that I was responding to TS's claim that $30 is the MAXIMUM one should expect to pay for an optical drive. His words, not mine.   So, either that was bullshit and there is a case to be made for the price range of $60-100 observed by the original poster, or Apple's device is priced outside the realm of...
  So, then why did you argue with OP's price range of $60-100? You said $30 max. If that's genuinely all that's required, then all that other stuff you mention above is obfuscation.   You can't have it both ways. Either your claim that $30 is the maximum one should spend was stated only to counter the OP's price argument and isn't actually true, or the Apple offering is priced outside realistic boundaries for the application. Which is it?
  So, further to the ongoing discussion of whether or not some Apple upgrades/add-ons are "overpriced" compared to third-party solutions:   The OP cited a price range of $60-100. You're saying this one for $30 is more than adequate. If $30 is the "max" one should be paying for an optical drive, how do we rationalize Apple's own version costing more than TWO-AND-A-HALF TIMES as much?!   Thankfully optical drives are an area in which the user still has a third-party...
  I wonder how much of the present developer weighting towards iOS is for practical reasons and how much is just inertia?   It's really only in the last year or less that any attention has been given to the idea of Android being a serious contender for user mindshare. That makes me wonder if development is still largely focussed on iOS at least partly because that's what developers are used to, and may shift towards Android as they see increased potential on that platform?
  I suspect that enterprise doesn't give a crap about Retina. It does nothing to increase the utility of the device. To see how much corporations care about pretty pictures, take a look at the monitors they dish out with user workstations.   Besides, even the non-retina screens look so much better than the average desktop display that I doubt anyone would complain.
  True, however my purely anecdotal, unscientific observations of my tiny little microsection of the world suggest a shift away from iPhones to big-screen devices.   I started taking the train to work in September. I was surprised to see that almost everyone, sitting or standing, was doing something on a phone. I was also surprised to see that almost ALL of them were iPhones. There were a couple of non-Apple phones, but not many.   Now, just four months later, I see lots...
  With due respect, no insult intended, I honestly think you may be the only person in the world who doesn't.   We get bigger TVs so we can sit farther away because TV size is a lower priority than room layout.   We buy bigger TVs now than we did when TVs used CRTs because we can. Great big CRTs didn't exist so we compromised our preference for practical realities. Now that one can get a big TV for short coin, we don't have to make that compromise anymore.   We buy bigger...
  Thank you for the detailed explanation of how capacitive screens work and what can cause them to NOT work. I appreciate it!
  First, I think Evilution's assessment of screen size benefits is... um... well, let's just say "not inclusive of a large segment of the population." (S)he thinks if you want a big TV because you have a big room or bad eyesight you should just sit closer. I don't understand how putting the couch in the middle of the room, or, in the case of a phone, holding it one inch from the end of your nose, is a better solution than just making the screen bigger. I understand the...
  Is "conventional" AppleCare (i.e. AppleCare Protection Plan, NOT AppleCare+) even available for the iPhone? It looks like they offer only AC+ for iPhones and iPads, and only APP for Macs etc.