or Connect

Posts by lightknight

@disturbia last time I checked, construction deals can go very nastily wrong.
This. Also, I find very telling how polarising the news seems to be, with highly respectable posters professing very different views. The core seems to be a debate between individual freedom versus social freedom, corporate culture and social responsibilities, and a general view on human behaviour. Also, I think that the role of grandparents gets heavily neglected in this debate. From what I can see around me, the best people have had both great parents and great...
  About the fairness and materiality leave, some countries have paternity leave, which allows expecting fathers to assist their wife. In the case of gay couples, I have no clue how exactly it works, however, but in the general scheme of things, I believe it should be mandatory. If your wife is pregnant, when she needs to pause her job, you need to pause yours. End of gender differentiation. Might start some new issues, such as employers demanding you be single, but that...
At least two real women replied already. Besides, do you need to be black to speak about race equality? It kind of sounds like it breaks the concept of equality to me, doesn't it to you? Anyway, I'm off to try and work. Make a career and hopefully be rich enough I can solve that small problem of male pregnancy, so we can all have an opinion on pregnancy and not be useless ;)   Actually, come to think of it, that _is_ one thing I've always wondered about. What would happen...
I think he was not blaming the women. I read it as "companies and society, disgustingly manipulated by big money, are brainwashing women in having babies later because we scientifically can rather than fix society's differences, immorally abusing equality discourses to get women's rights advocates on their side". I may of course be misreading him because that's pretty much how I see think. Do not forget that in the 5 richer countries, the major advocates of "work as a...
 But, statistically, he's a blip. If the world was made of Steve Jobs, it would be... interesting and unbearable, I guess. In four words: agreed, agreed, partially disagreed, partially agreed. For the latter two, it all comes down to "are these possibly harmful rules done possibly harmful because they were done wrong", and "how much later is a little later". All in all, some people seem to have brought very interesting and scientifically motivated answers to this thread...
Or she tells him she's on the pill. Or the condom breaks. There are many scenarios where the perfect world doesn't happen, and "not having sex with people you don't want babies with" sounds like "not having sex with people you aren't married with" which is an awfully reactionary thing. I find interesting how some very catholic-Church, patriarcal ideas seem to come back under "women's rights" clothing. The wolf is never very far from the sheep, I guess. Talking of...
Actually, it was more like a tangentially related fact ^^My main gripe is the fact that having babies later, for men as well as for women, is not a good thing on a population basis. Anyway, I made my general opinion pretty clear, and I understand very well why some people would disagree. The rest of it is not in my hands nor theirs, but in the hand of our friends Society, Democracy, and History, who I hope will do a good job of finding out what's best for us humans ^^
But this doesn't solve the problem of "who gets to decide who can have the babies". This sounds horribly like "the ones with the most guns" or "the ones with the highest tech". Anyway, higher tech is bigger guns, right?  Unless I'm very mistaken or have been brainwashed (always a possibility), "white man" has already done sterilization, forced or manipulated, on Indians, American Indians, Africans, and even, in the case of Switzerland, on ethnic or social groups which "did...
No, not really what I mean. It's not about women not being able to decide, it's more about men not having any say about babies anymore, but all sorts of responsibilities inherited from the time where they had the power. Case in point, the ex-Minister for Justice in France, Rachida Dati, who had a baby with a man who apparently stated he did not want her to keep the baby. She had a legal right to have the baby, since it's her body. Fine by me. However, the Minister got the...