or Connect

Posts by cws

He rented that tux.
As much as I admire D.E.D.s brilliance when it comes to analyzing technology trends, I'm afraid he is getting a little out of his depth when he ventures into financial analysis. The correct financial term to apply to most of the "investing activities" shown on Apple's cash flow statement is "capital expenditures", not "acquisitions". The vast majority of these capital expenditures represent tooling and other equipment used at Apple's contract manufacturers' facilities. ...
 Please read the section of the Wikipedia article that distinguishes between the paper "of public record" and the paper, simply, "of record (by reputation)".  For your convenience, I provide a quotation, here: Newspapers of record (by reputation)[edit]The most common definition of a "newspaper of record" (also known as a "journal of record", or by the French terms Presse de référence and de référence) is not defined by any formal criteria and its characteristics can be...
And to you, I say this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper_of_record There is only one American newspaper of record.  It is the New York Times.
Thanks for being a gentlemen.  As for Bloomberg, just because it doesn't strive for the same level of journalistic excellence that the NY Times does, doesn't make it horrid in my opinion.  They simply have a different mission.  They are young, and their roots are in being, first, a purveyor of data to the financial industry and, more recently, a purveyor of (largely) business news.  News is different from journalism in that it is more of a commodity geared toward a less...
Okay.  Here is your evidence. The Pulitzer Prize is the gold standard for determining the journalistic quality of an American news publication. The NY Times has won far more Pulitzers than any other paper.  The survey you cite is a mere popularity contest, on the order to the voting one might see on American Idol.  The members of the Pulitzer Committee are experts, focused on evaluating the true journalistic excellence of a publication and its...
The survey you quoted is obviously nonsense.  It ranks Local TV News as the most credible news source!!!!  And then goes on to rank the "Daily Newspaper You Know Best" and "ABC News" well above the NY Times and NPR.  Clearly this survey only demonstrates that there are vast hoards of ignorant people out there who don't know the difference between serious journalism and commercial or ideologically biased garbage.  Just because McDonalds is the most popular restaurant in the...
The New York Times is the most respected paper in the world -- not the Wall Street Journal.
As an AAPL stockholder, this concerns me as much as any other risk the company faces.  It is quite conceivable that the company and its co-conspirators could be held liable for tens of billions of dollars of additional compensation to current and former employees going back years.  The fact that the companies engaged in this behavior don't even seem to be much in dispute.
The percentage increase in IOS 7 adoption probably reflects the large number of new devices sold for the Christmas holiday -- not any significant increase in the number of existing owners upgrading their devices to IOS 7.