or Connect

Posts by hmm

That is kind of funny. My main issue with them was consistency and changing service appointments. I had a billing issue with them once when moving and cancelling service. They kept billing me, and I could not get a consistent response. You end up with a lot of partly independent local branches with consistent branding, yet only partial unification at the regional or national level. It just makes for an inherently bad experience. I'm not actually sure how it looks from the...
 People hate them because it's difficult to deal with service providers of that size. Many of these companies bought out local and regional carriers over time. If you call due to service problems, there are times where even in a major metropolitan area, you may be put through to a national help desk. Frequently there's little they can do over the phone, because there are so many different municipalities with differing infrastructure and supported equipment. It seems worse...
Both intel (from your favorite review site) and AMD updated their lines late in 2014 with suitable components. Apple clearly opted not to use them. That actually doesn't make a lot of sense to me, because the cpus used the same socket and chipset. The AMDs are a nice step up. In fact the imac and macbook pro have chips based on their updates. Thunderbolt 3 may not be out for a while, but Broadwell EP would require a logic board update either way. I was surprised that they...
Intel actually updates chipsets once every two cycles, so technically they could use the same board for Haswell + Broadwell but not Broadwell + Skylake. Intel has increased price alongside their core count increases, so I wouldn't expect to see the use of anything such as 18 core chips. It's likely to be similar. As for AMD, I haven't looked at what they have out now. This is still probably a small number of units for Apple, so they don't update it very often. Updating...
You might still end up waiting a while. I don't think Apple would have updated the gpu and trackpad if this wasn't meant to last for a while.
I'm not so sure about that. Around the iphone 4 or 4S they mentioned a high percentage of first time purchasers. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. It means they draw new people to their base. I'm more skeptical as to what they'll do with the watch. I've mentioned it before, but it doesn't bring the same level of consolidation as we had with the iphone, especially the 2nd generation and on.
People always hope another update is right around the corner when they're disappointed. It is definitely possible, but I doubt it. This just confirms that Broadwell would have been too short a release, which doesn't make that much sense to me in spite of recent details. I figured intel's release of Broadwell H type cpus (which seems to be happening) would mean that those specific cpus wouldn't be out before next year in skylake form. It's not very typical of Apple to...
It increases power consumption somewhat. In a notebook it shouldn't be that critical. Graphics switching probably involves some duplication of back buffer and whatever other stuff, but in shutting down ram, you would have to copy everything down to unused blocks in the lower chips and update any applicable virtual address space. It sounds like a terrible idea to me. I don't think power consumption was the issue here, especially as memory requires a small fraction of the...
There are plenty of examples where intel's official shipping date preceded new macbook pros by several months. They tend to slate things into their preferred release windows. Usually it's early to mid fall or February to March. They don't typically release things right on top of the holidays or immediately following them.
That isn't accurate. First you have to allocate a significant portion of that to the OS and installed applications. Out of what's left, it's not advisable not to fill all of it. It creates potential problems with the disk and disk caching, even with SSDs. Time Capsule is also more of a backup solution, or do you not believe in backups?