or Connect

Posts by hmm

There may be some volume discounts that influence some of Apple's choices in low end models, but the Xeon used in the base mac pro has the same list price as the top imac cpus. Its list is also significantly lower than many that show up in the macbook pro. I've linked the same things before, and it never adds up. It's mostly the 8 core and above that are extremely expensive. Their base quad lists for $300. The upward shifts in pricing also tend to occur on the higher end...
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see that in python. Python has a number of libraries that are just thin wrappers around C code for the more expensive functions. As long as the time spent in those functions isn't trivial relative to the number dispatched, it isn't that bad. It also has reasonable threading options, so GPU compute wouldn't be a big stretch. As you mention it's not just used in computing graphics related tasks. They work well enough with anything that can...
It will more at the lower price points than the higher ones. I doubt you have ever worked with a cintiq. The larger ones are heavy for a reason. It provides a large stable surface that can be angled, much like a drafting table.  That might seem like an antiquated concept, but if you have to spend hours interacting with it, you are likely to appreciate good ergonomics and lack of shoulder pain.
Means of identifying drones and/or R/C models do help with some things. They don't help with criminals, but they do help with jackasses (note my California wildfires example).
  I doubt you'll see that kind of law. There have been some very stupid drone owners though.Drones impede air battle against California wildfires. Then of course people have shot down drones that they believe are too close to their property. Firing into the air is illegal in quite a few situations. I'm kind of surprised he got out of that one. The second is probably an uncommon event. The first is something that will definitely end in legislation.
That surprises me, given that CUDA is still simpler than the other approaches. I recently tried to write compute shaders for some stuff, because that's basically the lowest common denominator across hardware. They're annoying though.
Repair permissions mainly resets permissions on certain files and/or folders that are altered during various software installation processes. When you give permission to install something, it may need write access to a directory that is normally read only. Relaunching finder won't change anything, because those permissions bits are still set a certain way.   You can change this by right or control clicking on the folder, changing its permissions, clicking the wheel icon,...
 You're just throwing words together here or at least it sounds that way. Intel has those processors set up to allow 40 lanes per cpu. It only seems constrained because Apple attaches a lot of stuff to one socket.
I really have no idea regarding that. Apple's size probably affords them some protection in that patent holders are unlikely to sue if they don't think they have a sufficiently strong case. The litigation itself is expensive for both sides, and in Apple's case they could simply outlast a lot of smaller companies.
It means they weren't found to infringe on the aforementioned patents, yet they were also unable to invalidate them.