or Connect

Posts by hmm

Ahh that misses my point. Perhaps I should have said I found some to be more insightful than others. Would that make you happy? I can think of one of the mods on here that regularly points out more interesting references in his posts than some of the writers.
I wouldn't bother arguing with him, because it's not really reason against reason. It's whatever you say vs whatever translation of the Bible or whatever other religious book. They absolutely deserve the right to congregate, but there are other relics that should have disappeared long ago. For example we offer tax exempt status to discriminatory organizations. Like a lot of other problems, that is one that specific lobbyists have fought to continue.
 It didn't previously appear on all money. It's very silly, but the implementations of those words always came out of desperate times. The first was either during or post Civil War. It was added to all money as a piece of Cold War propaganda. Beyond that just mentioning this doesn't really add to the discussion of anything. It's merely pandering to the emotions of a subset of individuals. I don't even understand why religious individuals like it. Printing that seems...
I don't see that. Right now this is just one of my background windows. I'm viewing from firefox in Lion rather than from my phone. I am a bit zombified today due to little sleep, but no I still don't see a tag that states that. It may be that I didn't click on it from the front page. Anyway it's not a terrible article or anything, but I'm still not a fan of overly emotive language. That is kind of why I typically read the articles here rather than some of the more "tribal"...
The reporting on here can be a bit preachy, but I don't think that matters here. There are people of many different religions within the US. There are also many atheists, some of which still attend various churches for social reasons. It's not fair to legislate the beliefs of any one of them, because they are not up for debate. They also can't be altered with reason. For devout religious individuals the words in their scripture are more important than any reasoning anyone...
Apple registers all kinds of patents. If you look at the sheer number they register in a given year, you'll notice that they can't be reliably used to predict what is coming with the next refresh. In the past I haven't seen Apple apply major design changes more than once every 3 years, which would mean this year is unlikely. Broadwell will likely get a nice gpu boost. If the price of NAND drops far enough to either bump storage again or they can ease the 13 and 15" back...
Even if you think he's trolling (I merely skimmed the thread after reading the article), the article is not an exact reporting of details. It reads more like an Op-ed with the emotive language.
Some of the graphics hardware components used by Apple have seen OpenCL support from other vendors. I looked it up some time ago. The reason I don't expect it soon is that they allowed GLSL compute shaders some time ago. I'm not sure they would have allowed that if a more readable method was being finalized. The difference in performance is enough that people still use that method, but it's definitely more difficult. GLSL isn't that pretty, given the need (to the best of...
 There are things where it would be useful beyond gaming, although gaming is arguably the largest market that takes advantage of it. I still want to see them support OpenCL as opposed to trying (and often failing miserably) to write things in shader code.  There aren't a lot of transparent libraries that use the gpu wherever possible, or at least none that I have come across. I don't know about private APIs, but so far I haven't found any evidence of this. Most of the...
 I usually have that problem when I can't find certain features or things are poorly documented. I would say it was easy compared to C++. You mentioned being from some sort of engineering background, so you probably have many years with C++ compared to Objective-C.