or Connect

Posts by hmm

That mac pro volume is unlikely. This was obviously a busy quarter for the Mac Pro, given that it was the first major update since 2010. Marvin had a decent breakdown estimate. AMD is estimated to have shipped around 20% of all workstation GPUs for the first quarter, up from 15%. Even if that was entirely attributed to Apple, they ship 2 per workstation. 250K would actually be a high number, and given the lack of updates last year, I don't think they sold anywhere near...
I don't expect intel will release one architecture 6 months after the other, even if they say delays in one won't affect the next. They almost never give it less than a year. They say one thing. It changes a few months later. You'll see articles about delays and other random news later on. The current gpus can technically handle 4K. It's more a matter of drivers. I could see them going to integrated only on more machines to cut costs with a retina model.
They have been including more of the half generation refresh cycles, meaning cpu increases .1 ghz and possibly other small changes. They used to ignore many of these extremely minor spec bumps from intel. The gpu model on the Airs is slightly different, but I don't know what the performance difference is like. If they're refreshing imacs now, I doubt we'll see broadwell before early next year.
Oh sorry I thought we were including other taxes as well given the discussion. By that I mean that people often mention that people are the ones who pay corporate tax, which is why I said it's one of many factors in determining final pricing. Anyway you are correct. Sales tax is paid for directly by the consumer, although it sometimes influences purchasing habits. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.
 I actually don't quite understand this one. As far as I am aware there are two issues that might be claimed with one being copyright infringement in the case of code theft and the other being patent infringement if a company runs afoul of a patented feature regardless of whether the code itself is original. Code theft could be either a case of downloading company property to personal devices or hacking it via a disassembler, which granted can be useful for trying to...
In that case I'm sorry I overreacted. I browse through this section at times, but the left/right comments have a tendency to irk me, as I've always viewed that as a horrible way to view other people. It seems like much of how we arrived at this point comes back to people voting against the things they hate most. When it comes to voting for representatives at the state level, I look at their stance on warfare in general as anything but a last resort. I don't really care so...
^^ I know that's a passive aggressive response to my comment (even though I think calling everything left and right is abject nonsense). There's an assumption that it only happened to political opponents. I personally hope they all do it when it comes to anyone trying to circumvent rules that apply to 501c4. Also thanks for the generalized ad hominem. At least I was trying to be civil.
Blah I meant to respond to this one too. Note that a large percentage of it is around Austin, which isn't a highly "conservative" (I hate that term, but I can't think of a better word here) area. It lacks the beautiful weather and nice beaches of California, and in terms of cities I prefer San Francisco. Seattle is a very nice city with a number of tech companies and other corporate hubs, yet it has a very low tax rate. There are a lot of things that contribute to these...
That one still comes up due to the number of lives and the sheer amount of resources consumed by that invasion. As you know the costs of that war will be around for decades or longer in some form whether it's an issue of veterans' benefits or other things. In case you want to bring up the VA since it loosely ties into that, no one apparently cared about veterans getting the shaft for the past 20 or 30 years. The issue there was promised VA reform, at which time the VA...
 That is an overly simplified view of it, because demand isn't entirely elastic. Using a rather extreme example, Apple could in theory price each iphone at $10k today. This would offer a higher gross margin per device, but it's unlikely that they would sell enough of them to maintain a viable product line. Changes in taxes can affect the price paid, but it isn't the only factor. They do in fact have to balance what is considered an acceptable margin against how many would...