or Connect

Posts by hmm

Quote:He mentioned doing fine with 4GB of ram before, but I don't see how that's the case. Activity monitor would show a high level of memory pressure just due to browser activity if those windows represent much more than plain text. I can personally notice a pretty significant difference when memory pressure is high, regardless of of what I'm doing. I would say that Snow Leopard was the last time I would have considered 4GB of ram. Even then it was really pushing it,...
They typically maintain some amount of differentiation between the lines. Graphics would be one point. For a lot of things the difference between the two won't make any difference. Things aimed at a broad range of users tend to balance for lowest common denominator scenarios.
 I'm skeptical as to whether they'll actually hit that target, but apart from that Apple is usually around 60 days after intel's official launch. This may be due in part to shipping numbers right at launch. I wouldn't personally anticipate skylake preceding even the next iphone update, especially with intel's track record over the past couple years. It's probably quite difficult to maintain these continued process shrinks.
While I find their targets a little ridiculous, how many times does it need to be stated that nothing works like this? Apple cannot "take themselves private", because they don't own themselves. Basically they would need investors with the cash to buy out existing shares. If they bought them back slowly as some of the more misinformed posters have suggested, this would merely result in outstanding shares that are inflated in value. Those shareholders would still own 100% of...
I'm highly skeptical of suggestions that it will be $10k+, because that goes against Apple's biggest successes. Their successes have pivoted on making things accessible to more people rather than promoting a feeling of exclusivity. In terms of clothing brands, I would view them more like Benetton than Prada. Things Apple makes tend to be priced somewhat high relative to other mass market brands, yet low enough to be accessible a very large number of people. I can't really...
I would imagine their target numbers differ quite a bit. Apple typically has to sell quite a few of a particular product to justify its continued existence.
 Assuming it doesn't get pushed way back, I'm waiting for that. There have been too many generations with graphics problems, and each time the refurbished boards don't seem to hold up as well as new ones. Battery service is also costly, but getting back up and running is a much simpler process. I agree with you that if those targets are in fact realistic, Apple will probably skip Broadwell in its entirety. Some chips officially launched in October. If Apple does unveil...
In the end I don't care where the problem lies. It creates a problem in the design either way. When this repair program is over, we should be approaching skylake. I will upgrade at that time and explicitly avoid discrete graphics. The majority of what I do now leverages the gpu in some ways, yet I think they'll actually be acceptable. Current integrated graphics probably outperform the 6750m on some tasks, but it's not the best time for me to drop $2k at the moment. We're...
The complaints have gone on for more than 2 years on the 2011s, yet they were also able to validate the 2012-2013 model problems during a similar time frame. I think you are extremely biased on this one.
 The problem in recent ones is presumably bad soldering between the GPU and board, which may not even be under AMD's or NVidia's control. I'm skeptical that we'll actually see skylake this year, but this repair program runs for a while. If I have another notebook death after that, I won't touch a Mac (notebook) with discrete graphics. Intel graphics don't have to be perfect. They just have to be close enough to mid range notebook GPUs. Even gaming notebooks rarely go past...