or Connect

Posts by hmm

There is also the option of Areca if you don't mind doing your own drive installation. It's not difficult to set up a raid. Just don't match inappropriate drives with anything that relies on parity to rebuild. My own results with support from some of the external drive oems hasn't been that great, so I mostly avoid them.
 What amuses me about that is that this looks more like a trashcan than the mac pro due to the lid. Aesthetic design doesn't influence purchasing decisions for me. It doesn't surprise me that peripheral vendors would want their complementary devices to match the base device. I just found it amusing.
You missed a couple things with the 860m comment. The first is that these chips are being made with both Kepler and Maxwell parts. The second is that Apple has been moving increasingly toward integrated graphics. I think it'll be another case of the base model running on integrated only, and unless you have a resulting bottleneck at the gpu level, it isn't a big deal. They cost a lot considering the use of integrated graphics and modest internal storage. In a notebook...
yes.... and now the thread zombies hunger for brains.
Well digital cameras (basically the only kind now) use bayer arrays that contain 2 green pixels per 1 red and 1 blue. The sensors themselves are monochromatic. They're filtered for a specific range of wavelengths and arranged in square shapes like that. Some processing electronics are in between these things. Basically there is a lot of interpolation involved in producing an image from that. In my little square shaped thing, R = red, G = green, B = blue. They're just...
 PSDs offer some minor amount of compression, but there are too many issues that can cause them to fail to expand. Compatibility mode merely embeds a flat copy within the encoded stack. lzw is the most common type of tiff compression. I think it relies on collapsing to pointers much like jpeg. It's slow and not everything can open them. EXR is nice because where support is implemented, it's consistent in its behavior. With compression you sometimes end up at 30-50% the...
Yeah although the reason I suggested it was that it saves at 16 or 32 bpc without taking up a huge amount of space on disk. It's often much smaller than a typical tiff file and where properly supported much more malleable. 
Yeah it's just that you're more likely to attach them to something other than a smartphone. Phones still do not provide the same amount of flexibility. Some of the dslrs such as recent nikons are really quite impressive. There's a difference in fine details and difficult gradation, but they're quite workable. I don't know who would buy this. You lose the camera that fits easily in your pocket, yet still lack slr features.  I'm surprised we haven't seen more fully linear...
It would be nice to see lower off contract pricing, but I don't see any reason why it would be necessary to buy a new phone ever year. They went with the 5c over the 5. It may have been cheaper to produce the c. If they don't determine that to be a failed strategy, you are more likely to see a revised 5c with the 5s discontinued.  I think it's reasonable to say need at the basic level.  It doesn't have to be a smartphone. You can get a flip phone for $30 with a cheap...
It's likely that it's more complex than that. They may have cost sharing arrangements set up between US and overseas subsidiaries. Apart from that they do claim credits on anything paid in other countries assuming that they filed for refunds where applicable. If they didn't, the expense could be disallowed, unless that changed in the last couple years without my ever becoming aware of it.