or Connect

Posts by hmm

It doesn't burn that many calories. It's a silly urban myth. Do it because it's fun.  I read through this post too quickly. It made it much funnier than intended.
Possibly the Airs. 15" macbook pros and possibly some imac configurations won't have available chips for a while longer.
We don't have both in place to compare, so anything is speculative.  If Vulkan actually materialized as something stable, it would probably be the popular option due to being cross-platform. You mean Khronos? Apple is actually part of that group. They're listed as one of the contributors, but I don't know whether that is just marketing of their affiliation with Khronos or they are actually on board with it. It may have been under development before this where the reaction...
I'm not entirely sure what they'll do this time. Apple doesn't typically update more than once every 6 months. This was a slightly more significant update than the typical .2 ghz spec bump. The discrete gpu model gained 5K support, and both obtained new trackpads. That makes me think they don't plan to make further updates until next year. It's odd though, because Broadwell quad cores were just  released. Intel would have shelved that release if they were almost ready to...
Why do you regard development using Swift as resource intensive? It had some compiler bugs in its initial release, but I don't understand your concerns. You could write for it on any Mac that supports the latest development tools. I assume "silver" means the older mac pro. I wouldn't purchase one of those for development, because it's not possible to know how long Apple will retain support. A PC is not a very good idea for Swift, because you will require development tools...
If a Broadwell update was impending, I don't think we would have seen any recent changes. They updated the trackpad and gpu, which is atypical outside of a change in cpu and logic board.
Which version? It's not PCIE 3.0 at 16 lanes. I think the chips are meant to drive 4. Some people have obtained okay performance from these solutions, but any of the semi affordable enclosures come with weak power supplies. You're likely to spring for an enclosure, possibly make modifications to it, then run an external power supply to get this thing working. Most don't support hot plugging, so you have to ensure it's only plugged or unplugged when your machine is fully...
 Intel has encountered trouble with process shrinks just like pretty much every other company at this point. IBM was significantly behind intel in performance, which isn't the case here. Your speculation relates to the Core M, which currently represents a small portion of Apple's lineup. In fact they only just introduced a model that utilizes Core M. If they were going to use ARM, especially in the near future, they could have debuted it with that. If Intel just now has...
They don't always help. They indicate the contents of a running process at the time something unrecoverable occurred. Sometimes looking through them reveals things such as the mention of a specific driver that may have caused the exception. Many people are fine with 8GB. Apple's markup is a bit steep on the 8 -> 16 option.
The graphics don't take up that much memory. 8 vs 16 depends on how much memory your applications consume. If you don't have a high level of swapping at any given time, it won't affect much. There are a lot of things that can benefit from more than 8GB, but this has been true for a long time. The number that benefit from more than 16 is far less. It's not a consistent speedup. Memory reduces the need for swaps. Memory is many times faster than even an ssd, and roughly 100x...