or Connect

Posts by hmm

The problem in recent ones is presumably bad soldering between the GPU and board, which may not even be under AMD's or NVidia's control. I'm skeptical that we'll actually see skylake this year, but this repair program runs for a while. If I have another notebook death after that, I won't touch a Mac (notebook) with discrete graphics. Intel graphics don't have to be perfect. They just have to be close enough to mid range notebook GPUs. Even gaming notebooks rarely go past...
 It's unlikely that Apple is anywhere near the biggest customer of either AMD or NVidia. If anything their survival requires that they outlast intel. Just look at the current lineup. The macbook air doesn't contain them. A small percentage of 15" macbook pro configurations contain NVidia. The minis do not contain them, and they have been removed from the least expensive imacs. As it is now NVidia isn't in that many Macs. AMD effectively sells two per mac pro, but I have no...
 They could have declared this before any lawsuits were ever filed. If you look at the models listed, they include the ivy bridge retina models, which presumably don't have the same rate of failure. They haven't filled hundreds of pages of Apple discussions threads as you saw with the 2011s, yet they're still part of the repair program. I'm going to see if I'm eligible to claim a refund on depot repair for that problem, since it was less than 2 months ago. Unfortunately...
 I kind of hope it's thrown out. Non-compete clauses are one of the most ridiculous things, intended to lock employees to a job and limit future leverage as long as they can be considered valuable to an employer. NDAs are different, but I wonder if they actually took company IP with them.
I glanced through the link. It mentions non disclosure agreements and non-compete agreements. In almost all cases non-competition clauses or agreements are unenforceable in California, which is really the way it should be. Placing a significant leave on people makes it nearly impossible to change jobs. On page 12 they claim that the employees took company IP with them. The former employees are named as defendants along with Apple. If you want to read the actual claims,...
There's no way to tell, but it would almost certainly push an update to next year, as it's unlikely that DP 1.3 support will be ready on that timeline. It's not even confirmed to support DP 1.3, although I expect it will.  Broadwell EP will be out next year, but that means skipping Haswell EP even though they use the same chipset/socket. Basically if they want to wait, the next practical time for an update could be well into next year due to the number of things that...
That is true, and as I mentioned it's not yet confirmed that TB3 will support displayport 1.3, especially at launch. It could be held up by driver issues, but if they are actually interested in making mac pros, it shouldn't be precisely tied to thunderbolt updates.
You are probably correct on that, but recall the amount of time it took to see implementation of displayport 1.2. Apple was one of the last to get it due to being tied to thunderbolt, but it still took a couple cycles to see adoption by other companies. Note that it was finalized in 2009. As of right now I can't find confirmation of whether thunderbolt 3 bundles support for displayport 1.3. it's possibly still an unknown. Thunderbolt 3 looks like it won't ship before Q3 of...
Apple plainly states that this is unsupported. They don't use a standard displayport 1.2  protocol here. Note that The mac pros support up to 4K. There is some amount of custom work done here, presumably in terms of drivers. It's also an embedded design rather than one that is limited to whatever bandwidth can be run over the current thunderbolt. Also what does Xgrid have to do with anything? Xgrid died a long time ago, and it related to distributed computation. You may...
That sounds excellent. I watched a portion of the old series, but I never finished it.It's practically in unofficial beta at this point. Just a few months ago the compiler had major bugs. I think this will change soon though.  I definitely plan to watch it when I have the time. I stopped watching television a couple years ago to give myself more time for reading and stuff like that. You've never experienced an earthquake? I came across something similar while searching for...