or Connect

Posts by hmm

Intel has encountered trouble with process shrinks just like pretty much every other company at this point. IBM was significantly behind intel in performance, which isn't the case here. Your speculation relates to the Core M, which currently represents a small portion of Apple's lineup. In fact they only just introduced a model that utilizes Core M. If they were going to use ARM, especially in the near future, they could have debuted it with that. If Intel just now has...
They don't always help. They indicate the contents of a running process at the time something unrecoverable occurred. Sometimes looking through them reveals things such as the mention of a specific driver that may have caused the exception. Many people are fine with 8GB. Apple's markup is a bit steep on the 8 -> 16 option.
The graphics don't take up that much memory. 8 vs 16 depends on how much memory your applications consume. If you don't have a high level of swapping at any given time, it won't affect much. There are a lot of things that can benefit from more than 8GB, but this has been true for a long time. The number that benefit from more than 16 is far less. It's not a consistent speedup. Memory reduces the need for swaps. Memory is many times faster than even an ssd, and roughly 100x...
Adobe CC doesn't benefit as much from that as you might think.  Further OpenCL doesn't just opaquely offload things to the gpu. Code has to be written for that framework, and it's somewhat complicated. Apple also went a different direction on the idevices relative to Macs. You can use either Metal or OpenGL ES, both of which have compute kernel features.   I haven't tested the current generation. This was not true on the 2011s. The 2012s were a bit better. A 2011 could be...
  Quote:Which laptops use 60-90W just for the chips? The rmbp can't possibly approach 90W for the chips, as that alone is more than the charger can supply. Chargers themselves are often rated on maximum throughput, so I don't know how much it can output sustained, but they have operated at a power deficit on some generations. I don't think they would anywhere near that great of a power deficit, as any moderately demanding task would draw from both charger and battery.
That is kind of funny. My main issue with them was consistency and changing service appointments. I had a billing issue with them once when moving and cancelling service. They kept billing me, and I could not get a consistent response. You end up with a lot of partly independent local branches with consistent branding, yet only partial unification at the regional or national level. It just makes for an inherently bad experience. I'm not actually sure how it looks from the...
 People hate them because it's difficult to deal with service providers of that size. Many of these companies bought out local and regional carriers over time. If you call due to service problems, there are times where even in a major metropolitan area, you may be put through to a national help desk. Frequently there's little they can do over the phone, because there are so many different municipalities with differing infrastructure and supported equipment. It seems worse...
Both intel (from your favorite review site) and AMD updated their lines late in 2014 with suitable components. Apple clearly opted not to use them. That actually doesn't make a lot of sense to me, because the cpus used the same socket and chipset. The AMDs are a nice step up. In fact the imac and macbook pro have chips based on their updates. Thunderbolt 3 may not be out for a while, but Broadwell EP would require a logic board update either way. I was surprised that they...
Intel actually updates chipsets once every two cycles, so technically they could use the same board for Haswell + Broadwell but not Broadwell + Skylake. Intel has increased price alongside their core count increases, so I wouldn't expect to see the use of anything such as 18 core chips. It's likely to be similar. As for AMD, I haven't looked at what they have out now. This is still probably a small number of units for Apple, so they don't update it very often. Updating...
You might still end up waiting a while. I don't think Apple would have updated the gpu and trackpad if this wasn't meant to last for a while.