or Connect

Posts by hmm

Mine gets quite hot under load too, although I was never burnt by its surface. You can always look up whether any processes are hogging cpu via activity monitor. Just so you know, the Tjunction of that cpu is around 93C, so these internals can get quite hot. I am not suggesting they should be that hot all the time, and I don't know how well other components take it. 150 out of 500 is enough that it would not overwrite anything critical due to lack of space. It might be...
Well the thing about CMYK is that some well engineered displays can get reasonably close on colors that are within gamut. You'll still have a higher deviation for colors that are out of gamut, which encompass a lot of maroons and certain cyanish colors assuming we're talking about a high quality stock. That doesn't change anything about the monitor profile. The gamma slider shouldn't be on there at all, because the underlying hardware can't be tuned in a meaningful way in...
LUTs just work with what's available in terms of the underlying hardware. Even then you aren't going to reach such a gamma value without omitting certain encoded device values. Err.....where did you get that? This is a sticky subject, and I'm not that great at explaining it, but there's a lot more to it. What should be noted is that your display may not precisely match your target space in either scenario. The color preferences should be what matches the native response of...
 I figured they would be using the displayport 1.2 protocol internally anyway, as it has specified behavior for that circumstance. It seems that may not be the case. The only reason I can think of to go for 5K over 4K at this time is use the retina doubling, so each pixel is replaced by 4 pixels occupying the same approximate area. I thought they might do something like that with 4K using doubled dimensions from 1920x1200, but I've been wrong quite a bit lately. Part of...
Recent revisions of OSX don't seem to do well with HDDs for whatever reason, but I've only seen things slow down to that degree with very little free HDD space or firmware issues somewhere. How much free space do you have and what else is attached? Those are the most likely causes, with the next most likely being a bad ram upgrade. With a ram problem, you would probably see kernel panics  in addition to these symptoms. If it was something such as a logic board issue, one...
That does happen, but it doesn't always happen where people expect it. For example people are always concerned with graphics apps. Most of those require very little from the gpu. They encounter problems if the machine is really low on memory in a shared memory configuration, which can cause odd behavior. It's not really the same as being reliant on strong graphics. It's also a somewhat common problem when it comes to running external displays. As for me I'm all for better...
That is a bit too absolute. It depends on your uses. For basic uses even the cheapest integrated graphics of the current generation are adequate. There are also many use cases where people think they need graphical power yet benefit very little from it. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was relatively even on cpu power. As it is two years later the thing takes a hit in one aspect and a price increase of $100. As I mentioned the $500 model has no direct ancestor. You might...
Your numbers are off. Note they're using the HD 5000 at the low end at this point.
They used a 45W chip in the 2012 mini. The 2011 supported a 35W chip  + underclocked midrange discrete graphics. I say underclocked because IIRC the 6600 chips were underclocked 6700s. It wouldn't be any different than what they used in the past. Regarding the chip cost, I can retype my prior comparisons if you like. The steepest price increase by far was at the low end of the lineup, where I didn't think $600 would hold. It didn't. The mini that tracks the 13" macbook pro...
 Blah. Lightroom is better in a lot of aspects anyway. It's still nowhere near what it should be in color processing, but that's due to decisions on Adobe's part such as their committing to prophoto RGB, which makes me very sad.