or Connect

Posts by hmm

I don't debate your words on the mac pro, but I do debate the wisdom of this purchase overall. The OP has a 2007 era lower end box. He now thinks a mac pro is a requirement. A mini with 16GB of ram would fly for this stuff. My notebook (not my only machine) is specced comparably. I'm typing from it right now. For the absolute vast majority of that stuff, it flies. The OP is just so low on ram that he's probably hitting scratch disks constantly. He thinks it's something...
You really should forget about the futureproofing issue. It's the most clueless possible concern, and it's going to strain your budget with little return. You could probably obtain a mini, then get a nice display for it later. There's nothing about your work that explicitly requires a mac pro. The older ones had certain advantages. You had room for extra drives and had more options when it came to connecting an NAS or DAS for storage/backup, as for a designer opening large...
 I don't think they'll go for a 32". 24 - 27" is pretty close to ideal for a large number of users, including those involved in most media editing. Past a certain size it becomes difficult to take in most of the screen simultaneously and navigation becomes more awkward. If it was something cintiq like, the navigation aspect wouldn't be such an issue. I found the old 30" displays to be a bit awkward. Dell released a 24" at $1400. The price has already started to come down....
Quote: I'm actually with Marvin on this one. Intel will do their mid cycle bump. Apple will probably bump the macbook pros at that time and bump the mini while at it. Broadwell isn't showing up anytime soon. Winter is probably unhappy with the way games run on his current one, but I think it may be a couple more cycles before gaming is truly comfortable with integrated graphics. If the value of a mini drops slowly, it could be possible to resell the old machine with each...
They could be an effective means of protection if not terribly common. If most people don't use them, thieves aren't likely to bring tools for the occasion. They can just look for an easier target. As always anti-theft devices are primarily about deterrence. If it's feasible to circumvent them and they are too common, they're ineffective.
Oh I didn't notice that. I'll re-read the article again later. I'm aware of the issue of physical residence. There are countries where a given company may not own their distribution channels. It could just be Company A --> third party resident company within that country --> retailers. I'm not actually sure how they're set up in Australia. My main point there was to mention that they could claim a credit against taxes paid there, so they would not actually pay that amount...
That isn't something I can answer, but your most obvious alternative would involve a drastic shift in business culture. I don't see that happening anytime soon. The negative PR may cost them something, but not enough that it dissuades such practices.  Taxes paid in other countries are credited against US taxes in almost all cases (may be exceptions), as long as the company applied for refunds of overpaid taxes where applicable. That is at least in the US. This is different...
Corporations all do that. It may be problematic and grant the largest businesses an unfair advantage, but it needs to be dealt with via updated laws. As Frood pointed out, Apple just happens to be big enough to attract attention. I would add that Apple clamors for press attention, so it happens to include negative attention when they engage in something that should be admonished.
 It's obvious that you're trying to represent an arguably silly viewpoint that you don't personally support.
  How would you account for inventory under such a system? Many companies would have to massively rethink distribution, yet under your suggestion they wouldn't be able to write off those costs. This is a problem with scrapping everything and starting over, not to mention the conceptual problems with your entire theory Mr. Economist. You also ignore why the article was published. If they use a big brand like Apple, it gets attention. Apple is incredible at managing PR and...