or Connect

Posts by hmm

On another note, incoming litigation against trash can manufacturers.   http://kotaku.com/garbage-can-that-looks-like-the-mac-pro-is-a-hot-item-i-513060072   Don't read into this. It just made me laugh.
That is actually interesting, although Apple can still do anything with it in terms of market strategy. I mentioned component sharing because that is the only possible significant point of savings in using i7s, and it only really covers 1 cpu. The othe thing that always comes up is ECC ram. In 2003 ECC alone meant a much higher cost. I'm going to say the base configuration is likely to be 8GB as 4x 2GB dimms. I say that because it's the lowest feasible amount with quad...
  Much of that is that you're talking about an incredible piece of software, although you can't achieve those results without very powerful hardware. It's the only piece of software that can really handle all of that in 3d. Previously it would have been individual photoshop files for each 8K UV map. As I mentioned somewhere on here, 8K is the largest a lot of software can read, so beyond that they go to multiple maps.
You really are clueless with this repeated i7 nonsense. Did you note that the $800 mini uses a cpu  that costs more than the one in the base mac pro option? Arguably the discrete gpu is an additional cost, but they're closer than you might think. An "i7" version would have one cpu option. It's the same one used in the top spec imac. I'm not sure whether it would improve volume discount, as I don't think that is exactly the most popular imac option. Below that you move...
I don't personally use Mari, but they made the exact same claims a year ago. In fact that's how they marketed the software from the start. It was designed for pelting huge textures. Pixar probably runs more maya seats than anything. I doubt they are houdini heavy there. Maya's maximum texture map size is 8k. These things have to deform uses pixar's version of subdivision surfaces and would be projected based on their normals, so they have to hold up to a lot more than a...
I was basing it on a likely very conservative clock speed. I'm not sure how ivy will work out. With Sandy the 1600s chips didn't go past 6 cores. The 8 cores were at least 2600s (when I say 2400s it's me rambling things off the top of my head) chips, the type that are made for dual socket machines. The 2687 is as fast as it gets. Two of them here geekbenched 45000. That is somewhat faster than I remember from other similar tests. I don't regard geekbench as a great...
That's not totally true. Memory chips are made here. SSDs have been made here. I'm not sure about now. Intel still makes cpus here. Intel has manufacturing facilities. Samsung has plants in Texas. There's Micron. As for assembly, I know Boxx is in Texas. Obvious the US has way less of this than Asia. Note Asia, not China. It goes beyond one country.
It adds at least $500 for a decent JBOD box. They all add some noise. The cheap ones are terrible in that regard. Not all of them are seamless, as you're placing the device behind another layer hooked up through whatever port multiplier. Thunderbolt also isn't the same as SATA or PCI. The certifications are totally different. You must be able to unplug it without causing kernel panics. With a PCI card, the card stays in all the time. It's not here nor there. I'm just...
Yep. It's the same line of thinking adopted by those that think i7 is automatically cheaper than Xeon 6GB of ECC ram somehow tacks hundreds onto the price. The only truth to that would have been if they did a direct transport of the imac internals to a headless case, because of how many parts could be reused. I don't think a lot of people get which chips are labeled i7 or the array used under the Firepro label. In fact many of those are just Radeons with different...
You're suggesting this occurred prior to this email surfacing as a part of the investigation? It's highly unlikely that they obtained that by illegal means. Also what does it have to do with the second amendment? Somehow I'm guessing it's a reference to some topic from political outsider. I don't read that section, but it's obvious you didn't mean for that to be interpreted literally. I'm guessing it's a joke about recent second amendment press?   I would agree with that.