or Connect

Posts by hmm

It's still only the dual EP solutions that allow for some of the corner case configurations. 32GB isn't far out of line for many professional use cases if they're buying a new machine today. It's not always a matter of whether you absolutely require it either. With 2x8 kits floating around $100 or less, it's often worth going for that. Some of the 100GB+ HPC configurations aren't really available on the mac pro. With Lion it was still limited to 96GB. I don't know if...
I remain highly skeptical. Here is what I find implausible about the use of E3s. Their primary difference in the context of a workstation compared to the i7s used in imacs would be the ability to use ECC ram. E3s could be used in an xmac type machine if they felt the need to maintain some kind of solution that preserves ECC ram. Most people never experience problems from bit flipping or even understand that parity based correction only applies to single bit errors. It's...
Did I really need to clarify appropriate for the mac pro? The only haswell Xeons that come out early basically coincide in performance with the imac and are poorly aligned with Apple's product line. Apple uses integrated graphics to hook in thunderbolt. E3s lack the igpu and instead have 4 more PCI lanes available. They allow for ECC ram, but other than that performance is identical to those used in the imacs. The hardware you could see at that time is the type that is...
I don't think there has been enough evidence to say that they get early access of any kind. As I pointed out one of the cliche examples of this was due to accepting a hotter batch of chips. I would be amazed if they announced such a thing at WWDC, simply because there are no obvious cpu hardware rollouts either preceding or within weeks of it.
Google Glasses seem weird. I initially thought their goal would be to integrate such a thing into existing eyewear. Even then it seems pretty invasive.  I'm not that big on wearable items unless they partially displace the use of something else. More people would wear watches if they displaced some phone functions. The reason this has been coming up lately is due to shrinking hardware. They can hit the level of good enough on basic hardware performance in increasingly...
That is a false assertion. For example the 2007 version was much hotter than those adopted by other oems months later. In 2008 or 2009 (can't remember which) it was maybe by a month, but I'm unsure how that happened. 2010 they can out 4-5 months after the other oems. When people bring these things up, it reminds me of the "everything will be updated at WWDC" rumors. It's an attempt to extrapolate a pattern from extreme corner cases.
Stories posted on here suggested Apple contributed a connector. Co-developer seems a bit strong. It's never been suggested that Apple has any ownership beyond holding the patent on the connector. I know at least Sony tried to run it over usb3, but that was a failure. I don't know why you guys think Apple is tied to it forever. Adoption is likely low enough that if they wanted to go with something different, they wouldn't be hindered by legacy products.
  Blah I will never move away from firefox. It takes too much ram, but so does safari. That seems really unlikely. There aren't any hardware releases that really align with WWDC either prior or a few weeks out.
Given how quickly Apple turns over their inventory, I doubt that is a problem, especially on one of the less expensive models. Aside from that, they have offered 13" models at $1000 before. They just weren't post unibody 13" models.
I'm not sure what kind of blur you mean there. Common ones would be depth of field, which would depend on some way to define z depth, or motion blur. Motion blur requires samples from other frames too. If it doesn't sample far enough out. you get weird effects.  I would have to look up how many pieces of software render blur that way. While it's shifting, most of the heavy lifting remains cpu bound. The really significant things are those like Premiere and its playback...