or Connect

Posts by hmm

I typically avoid rev 1s, but I could make an exception here if I end up needing it. That is another story. I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone touch the current ones. With aging hardware, eventually some part will lose vendor support. That isn't such a big deal if you plan to keep it in semi stasis with accompanying hardware and software. That would be unrealistic for me. I don't think it's a huge deal if they aren't on a 12 month cycle, but if it is 2015, Apple might...
First you don't really have enough information to render a final verdict here. Second if you believe this year's macbook pro is 50% faster, you are out of your mind. The major gains of that magnitude have been accompanied by core count changes. Going from 2 to 4 cores is huge. As for the mac pro, it depends on pricing and if the extra GPGPU power is really leveraged. Assuming we're looking just at X86 performance, much of it comes down to price. If it's 10% faster in the...
Sigh forum always eats my posts. Issues can arise with oem batteries too, although they're at least better documented most of the time.
NAND has been somewhat flat lately, but it decreased considerably prior to that. Your misconception is that parts directly drive pricing. Anytime there is a change in overall costs across however many components, they decide how to distribute that. It's possible for lower costs to simply drive higher margins.
Yeah I'm slightly amused to see AI advocating sales tax evasion. That is the real term.
I think you'll have to wait until at least 2015 for a real update. Looking at the last couple cycles, Westmere came out mid to late Q1 2010 with some parts drifting into Q2. I'm going by official launch dates. Shipping dates may have been later. Sandy Bridge EP didn't ship in volume until late Q2 2012. Ivy is looking like late Q3 2013. A 15 month refresh like Sandy to Ivy seems feasible. Haswell had some bugs, and there's no way of knowing if we will see reverberations...
NHT says $8000. It often differs depending on how you arrive at that configuration, and I know HP tends to be the more expensive of the cliche oem comparisons. There are some things I specifically dislike with the new mac pro design, but given that I wouldn't have ordered a 24 core workstation anyway, it comes down to price, performance, and options in the sub $4k range. I might be able to squeeze out a bit more for ram and things, and I would have to expand on external...
Gaming rigs never chase the high core count parts unless the buyer has some weird egotistical fetish with that. Gaming gpus are likely to be faster when gaming. Workstation gpus tend to be tuned for OpenGL and double precision floating point math at the driver level. What I don't understand is why you would want to acknowledge the fanbois. They're irritating. All fanbois are irritating. (Edit: not a jab at anyone on here, just not sure why you can't simply ignore the...
Ivy wasn't a huge gain in performance per clock cycle. I doubt Ivy Bridge EP will be much different in that regard. The real gains seem to be in terms of core count. On those you're looking at 16 core machines. There will be some 24 core machines using the same processor that showed up here. I don't think they're going to chase that. I am interested in seeing what they do in the realm of OpenCL support and modernized OpenGL implementation. I'm also interested in what all...
I'm still not sure how well that would work. We may see more proof of concept pieces when the machine hits the market as we have with thunderbolt in general.       Huh? I don't follow on that one. The Areca card I linked wasn't terribly expensive. It wasn't a higher end version or anything. My thoughts on the Pegasus are that it relied on showing up early. It's not particularly well suited for Raid 5, but I don't think Raid 5 is really necessary for smaller storage...