or Connect

Posts by hmm

I think they have some flexibility. The chips in workstation gpus are largely the same as those used in gaming cards. Markups are much higher, but they have to make back development costs based on smaller numbers. I'm not sure workstation card sales are anywhere near the percentage of profits for AMD that they are for NVidia, and I suspect the costs of cards like the W9000 may come down by late in the current year or early next year anyway. Workstation gpus are typically...
  Thinking of any in particular?
  That is unlikely. It happened last time because intel didn't release a complete westmere lineup. All oems filled in with nehalem. Ivy still has a quad core model, so there's nothing to gain by going with the prior generation. I would be surprised if quad ivy was much more expensive than quad sandy.
You would need a mini displayport to dvi adapter. Thunderbolt specific stuff doesn't work for non- thunderbolt displays unless something changed. This was well documented early on. You might be able to use displayport daisy chaining with compliant models once thunderbolt 2 hits, as it's supposed to support displayport 1.2. Displayport 1.2 has that protocol. Of course the display itself has to support that. I'm not sure whether different color profiles register properly. I...
I would add Apple isn't the only one that has offered older devices at reduced pricing alongside the newer ones. I would definitely grab a $400 phone off contract with pre-paid rates. I don't care how the outside feels. It just goes in a case anyway. I wouldn't have worded it exactly like that, but yeah doesn't India have some of its own brands with little to no international presence? Many of those people are just spouting random opinions without the ability to...
It could be the base model depending on how they structure it. Intel is likely to maintain a quad core in their Xeon E and EP lineups for Ivy. I suspect it depends on how Apple is going to organize and price the line. The really big gap is around the 12 core level. That could be an $1800 chip. The typical upper mid range Xeon 1600 chip that Apple is likely to use for their 6 core dropped to $600 mid westmere and stayed with that through Sandy. I suspect it will still be...
Pre-production / engineering sample geekbench scores have leaked before. They've changed somewhat with live hardware, but not that much. I think it's important to note that many of these users wouldn't have purchased something at the cost of the top spec 12 core. I would wait and what this one is like. If the machine is unsuitable due to tco or performance, you can always look at alternatives. I don't think they intend to throw the cost to performance ratio further out...
I typically avoid rev 1s, but I could make an exception here if I end up needing it. That is another story. I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone touch the current ones. With aging hardware, eventually some part will lose vendor support. That isn't such a big deal if you plan to keep it in semi stasis with accompanying hardware and software. That would be unrealistic for me. I don't think it's a huge deal if they aren't on a 12 month cycle, but if it is 2015, Apple might...
First you don't really have enough information to render a final verdict here. Second if you believe this year's macbook pro is 50% faster, you are out of your mind. The major gains of that magnitude have been accompanied by core count changes. Going from 2 to 4 cores is huge. As for the mac pro, it depends on pricing and if the extra GPGPU power is really leveraged. Assuming we're looking just at X86 performance, much of it comes down to price. If it's 10% faster in the...
Sigh forum always eats my posts. Issues can arise with oem batteries too, although they're at least better documented most of the time.