or Connect

Posts by hmm

CPUs haven't gotten much faster at equivalent core counts. The bigger gains are from core count increases. Notice how Apple's up to switched from 2 x 6 to 1 x 12. The gains at comparable price levels have also been arguably weak. Power consumption isn't that much lower at the Xeon EP level, maybe somewhat with Ivy. It's a much bigger deal with servers than workstations. AMD never chased the computation market prior to tahiti. The firepros were really built to add extra...
You should make sure you view his words in context. He mentions the continued use of big iron, even though they aren't Macs. He acknowledges that one man shops may need a single more powerful station, although in terms of raw power, it's not quite possible to match the current imac on a mac pro 1,1. Even with 8 core setups the old fsb can be a slight bottleneck. They didn't go any higher prior to replacing it with quickpath interconnect. There are clarifications. I've...
It's not healthy to be angry about everything. In the context of the mac pro, its last real update was 2010. Even today the bottom option contains a 2009 era cpu option. The gpu is 2 generations back. I don't think they are making many at the moment, so it shouldn't be a big deal. With the imac they could have pushed it back and kept the old one on sale. They set up their own problem there. Even after invoking the osbourne effect, they could have maintained minimal...
I think he was referring to this.
  I would suggest it could be all branding. On Windows it varies by card. Some get better OpenGL performance on Windows, and some have bugs that aren't seen under OSX. It could be as simple as a branding issue. I think going by existing firepro model numbers may be unrealistic due to pricing structure. It could be similar to that 5770, yet branded differently. For computation workstation cards aren't always faster. They usually contain ECC ram, and they don't typically...
Most billionaires don't really do that. I'm not sure of the exact cap, but home loans are unusual above 10-20 million or so. That isn't the case with commercial real estate, but that's totally different. I'm not sure of the entire breakdown on sales and income gain vs capital gains in cases of multiple home ownership, so I can't comment there. Someone lend me a hand with this topic.
I'll still use Pandora.
I meant you would need one for E3s and one for E5s. E3s even have some pricing overlap with the most expensive one being $885 for a 1290. They aren't that common of a workstation processor choice, although Dell uses some of the cheaper ones in their T1600s line. I suspect it wouldn't be that logical for a company who would only use them in one model out of one line, but it would literally be the headless imac. If they were crammed into a mini case, you wouldn't get the...
I was thinking in context of Apple. Apple is well known for dumping certain features and functionality on lower cost models while retaining them as higher price tiers. I was saying that the 13" mbp is likely too significant to do something like that. I'm not really against APU solutions at all, but I don't think they are mature yet for all use cases. They are getting better. I mean the Iris pro was in no way tangential from the GMA chips from a few years ago. It is an...
I expect better logic from you sir! The problem with an E3 is it requires an entirely different logic board / chipset to use a cpu that costs the same as an entry level Xeon EP 1620. They're both around $300. If you saw a quad version, it would be an E5-1620  in a v2 version. To suggest they would go with an entirely different socket is just so far beyond silly. A likely E3 candidate would be something like an E3-1245  as it's about the same as what they use in 27" imacs....