or Connect

Posts by hmm

Early 2011 used a 6750m on some models. Just the $1800 model had the 6490m, which imo was ridiculous (use of a distinctly low end gpu for what it cost).
Some of you can never understand the point on mp3 players. It's just one item in your list, but it bugs me. Apple had a complete and well marketed system there. Quality had nothing to do with it. It was difficult to get battery service. Sound was no better than average. Their earbud designs from that era were horrible (note the updated design). I owned a couple of them, including a nano. In both cases they were a lot better with a pair of foldable sennheisers, but as...
The combination of 6750m/6770m and quad cpus drew too much power for the adapter used. The problem was probably not as severe with the 6490m, although it may have been there. I never had any direct experience with that model.
Offline rendering doesn't leverage the gpu unless specifically stated for that render package. Even then they are extremely hardware dependent. It makes no difference unless it tells you that it supports gpu rendering and lists your gpu as supported. It also requires that your scene and textures fit within the hardware frame buffer, which is limiting in itself. Otherwise don't worry about it. The typical use of gpus in 3d graphics was real time drawing. They were...
  Intel's list prices are higher for iris variants. That's why I said it's not terribly synergetic with desktop solutions where the use of integrated graphics remain due to cost effectiveness. There are still $100 desktop cards that can deliver superior performance. It's much more appealing on a notebook if it helps usher in the ability to leave the power brick at home. Speaking of Apple's power bricks, they don't deal well with discrete graphics. The 2011s were the worst...
I thought the joke was regarding the "add to reputation" button.
That doesn't represent many data points. It's a mass market item, so some variation is to be expected. I have no opinion whether or not there is a power button issue.   How so? Perhaps if its serial suggested it as one of the first 100 produced and it's still both aesthetically pleasing and working one or two decades from now. Otherwise I don't agree. Collectors typically want something pristine, working, and as unique as possible.   It would backfire in that companies...
None of the low cost options are perfect imo. Cycles has a certain amount of potential, but it can't handle things that would be easy enough in mental ray, vray, etc. With some coding skills you could also go with one of the renderman types. Out of those, Vray is probably the easiest to optimize and offers a lot in the way of sampling overrides out of the box. It's decent on memory use and just really easy to set up with some basic knowledge of raytracers. I never got too...
Trade-in programs never offer retail value. While this one seems underwhelming, you can just choose not to use it. That's ridiculous. I've never met anyone who thought of it that way, nor have I seen any statistics suggest it. If they are tied to a plan that costs the same amount either way, it may affect the way the value they place on the phone. It can also affect the demand for used devices.
  Well integrated graphics on the desktop are still primarily a cost cutting solution. You don't have the issue of battery life there. I've always suspected at some point people who use their notebooks in public will no longer have to locate power outlets for extended periods of use. Looking at the chips that incorporate iris pro graphics, it's unlikely that the cost savings is significant over some of the less expensive discrete chips. I can't say for sure as I haven't...