or Connect

Posts by hmm

The person who bought one misunderstood the intent of the design if they were expecting a gpu ugprade to be simple. You're limited to mobile parts anyway. The difference isn't as great as it was. It's often 30-50% today comparing to top mobile gpus. It used to be well over 100%. The 680mx is basically a very underclocked version of the 680. The Z1 is designed to be easily serviceable with HP parts so as to minimize downtime. The machine doesn't have to go anywhere. It...
I have brought up the same thing before. It's always "use thunderbolt if your drive dies" yet thunderbolt it also suggested for many other things. The imac has 2 ports. If I wasn't comfortable swapping out a drive, it would make me a lot more hesitant to buy a machine. I hate flaky drives more than anything. By the way IIRC the K3000m was defined by using different memory than the 1000 and 2000. That amazon price is a lot cheaper than what some oems charged for the...
While I thought it was a silly comment anyway, you did miss the ¡ used to indicate sarcasm.
It's too bad they didn't release a 7970 mac edition considering the price. My point was that I would own a notebook anyway, it just wouldn't be quite as up to date.
  His blog post still suggests big iron for a small shop with only a couple stations. It's about what I recall reading last time. He started with the imacs for offline workflows and slip edits. He doesn't mention getting rid of big iron entirely.   From the blog post and     It's clear he sees a spot for them. I like his posts, but they aren't quite so polarizing in favor of "must be all imacs". One man shops have mostly gone for mac pros in my experience, although I have...
  I was unaware of that. I know a couple of Dell's displays. I don't currently know anyone who uses one. It's typically NEC and Eizo. If they aren't using one of those it's an Apple display, in some cases an old aluminum one that is well past its prime. I'm not insinuating that my personal experience indicates anything about the broader market. It's just what I know.
I suspect they've done the same thing in the past. Prices are consistent throughout a cycle, so examining it at a broader scale rather than micromanaging each purchase would seem to make more sense for a company that isn't having cash flow issues. I'm skeptical of IGZO overall. Blogs have used the term to generate traffic for the past couple years regardless of Sharp's state (which I haven't looked into lately).
Then don't sign up for it. Trade-in programs never pay the full retail value of the item. They might be selling these off in bulk at wholesale rates themselves.
Well they weren't the only ones to drop the 30" lines. Every brand basically went to 27", even if their implementations differed. I will probably stick with NEC regardless. You got me on the additional stuff. I don't own one, so I hadn't thought of any of that. 27" to me seems like a good size to scan visually. You mention the Wacom. I like the Cintiqs due to their mapping. Your hand and cursor are in much better synchronization. I've used them, but I don't own one...
They require framerates. 3d app performance is entirely different. It's first a matter of what you're doing. If it's a specialized role, that role is what matters. Texturing requires a lot of memory if you want to display texture maps in 3d. Modeling can really lag if the poly count is too big for the card. Animation is just about being able to evaluate at 24 fps. The viewports themselves do not behave like game engines, and some cards can really suck. I won't say that...