or Connect

Posts by hmm

I'm not sure I would read into it that much. I haven't personally used it in quite a long time, but I don't like to turn that into data.
If people are still buying the old ones or they can't get the newer ones down far enough in price at the desired margins, you will just see another round. There's nothing wrong with it. The only thing I truly hated about optical drives was the amount of extra physical garbage they created. I hate wasteful use of materials.
It wouldn't surprise me. First the market it covers isn't one that cares about shape in most circumstances. Some probably would have liked "rack-friendly", but I don't know percentages. This is likely one of those things that will be far better fleshed out in revision 2. I'm a little surprised they didn't leave space for a small array of internal sata express storage. Wizard actually touched on that idea a number of months ago as an array of pci based ssds, and there is...
They are probably being somewhat aggressive in design due to the length of time the design must last. If sales were healthy we probably would have seen a refresh of the old one with Sandy and the new design after Ivy. I'm still surprised they didn't design it to accommodate more sata express ssds in the future. If it wasn't for the growth in mobile devices, I might expect more hybridized solutions. Current HDDs use ram caches. There is little reason you couldn't have a...
It depends how it's allocated when shared with displays. A lot of what I dislike is relevant today, but at some point it will be good enough. In terms of general success, it's a matter of if it adds value for the majority of users where it appears. They dropped the express card slot because no one used it. I used it a bit on my notebook, but admittedly Mac support was terrible on those cards. I'm not sad to see it gone, although I would have liked to see 2 ports from the...
  That isn't their problem. On the PC side the people who make heavy upgrades just start with after market cases. There's no reason to buy from an oem in that situation. Oems also use a lot of proprietary sizing to interrupt that. Sometimes it's a custom size for a power supply or board or whatever. They want to push  all in ones more to guarantee a higher minimum sale and reduce the number of parts they must validate in a given year. High fixed costs dedicated to...
Typically if the risks are high, those guys are going to be more conservative when it comes to major hardware changes. That is normal, but they represent a small enough fraction of users that they probably aren't required to determine the viability of the line. This means more of those users could be later adopters without killing the line. I don't expect this to sell in high numbers from day one. I doubt Apple is expecting that.
Yes. Of course you could argue that compact fluorescents  were invented later or that LED lighting is likely the way of the future, but 2.5" and 3.5" SATA drives were not invented in 1954. It's just not that relevant to pick out factoids regarding the predecessors of current technology.
Shall I look up the year the light bulb was invented?
It can also be an issue of yields. They have to be able to produce the number they would sell at $1799. I don't think they will go regressive on core counts. The flow in terms of bundled specs has been pretty consistent, and the high end dual cores aren't that cheap either. Integrated graphics actually sounds more likely to me as the notebook lines have always reduced gpu configuration first as a budgeting measure. Anyway