or Connect

Posts by hmm

You win the award for dumbest theorized juxtaposition of the year. It would make more sense if they were aimed at the same consumers. The price alone ensures that is not the case, and if anyone is debating macbook air or mac pro, they have a very poor understanding of their own needs. I could understand a bit more if it was a 1,1 that happened to be overkill at the time. Even then software almost always gains weight over time, so even with minimal growth catching up to...
Regarding ram you should look at the total cost. These will never go past 16GB anyway. I don't care how many uninformed people told you Ivy supports 32. 16GB sodimms haven't been tested on this, so you can't assume they will work or even be available here. 32GB does work in notebooks that will take 4 sodimms. 16GB sodimms aren't as likely to appear in a form that is compliant with current chipsets, so the question with the current model is whether the price is acceptable...
I'm going to quote myself here from another thread. Do you see a discrete north bridge on any of the ivy boards?  
It's nice to see someone on here acknowledge that there's more to pricing than manufacturing cost. It was $2200. They had a 2.6 version with the 1GB 650m for $2200, which was in line with prior pricing strategies. If you saw something else, they could have changed it more than once, but they've stuck to $1800 and $2200 as their price targets for some time. It seems like in cto form, you can upgrade the cpu for $200, so it's almost the same thing. I'm not sure why they go...
People buy it on the Mac. It would probably be a higher concentration of enterprise customers. Whether you choose to acknowledge it, this is one area where MS is firmly entrenched. I suspect it will show up on the iPad at some point.
It's less common for them to trim pricing mid cycle. Usually you see these things happen around refreshes. I guess they could always move away from that to even out demand somewhat as demand will naturally be high at the start of a product cycle, around fall college courses, and around the holidays. According to my own memory and everymac, it was always $1799. That appears to be the base 15" spec. Anandtech also liked the Asus one, although they mention caveats and Amazon...
There are only so many things they can spend it on anyway.
    Unless you've read actual logistics or similar case studies, you're making things up.
They used 45W cpus in the quad models this year. Last year that price territory was covered by a 35W + discrete graphics. If it's just a couple watts worth of difference in tdp, they will likely test if it works properly and limit turbo slightly if there is a risk of drawing too much power. I suspect they have to leave a little headroom either way. I'm also unsure what their power supply can handle in extended use rather than peak use. As to 35-37W QM chips that Winter...
  Can you think of one case where such a thing was proven based on analyst speculation or predictions? Also do you personally think it would have reached $700 last year if the market was betting on them simply continuing with their existing product line? Their biggest successes have always involved markets with room for expansion. especially markets that allow for some level of diversity. Right now they're ridiculously tied to the state of the phone market, yet we may see...