or Connect

Posts by hmm

That is old news in itself. They're different chips entirely. The only thing that is the same is the name Xeon. Notice how the "enthusiast class" i7s also met with delays. Those pair up with some of the lower Xeon EP models. E3s basically use the mainstream chips that go into most desktop machines. They came early with nehalem then slipped later Sandy. I'm curious whether more of the high core count stuff will go to GPGPU on the desktop and workstation end. 12 core X86...
I don't think I ever owned a Vaio. My PowerPC macs were the ones that failed early or started to experience problems. That was a long time ago, and it's anecdotal either way. When people mention bsod or the mac equivalent, I typically ask them if they upgraded ram prior to that. If they have I ask if they've ever tested it. Sometimes it's a much less expensive fix than a motherboard/logic board replacement.
They are the equivalent of what goes into the imac. They have 4 more pci lanes and support ECC ram. but they lack integrated graphics. Everyone on here tends to view thunderbolt as a high priority, as the mac pro is the only machine without it. If that is the case you only really gain ECC ram using these. Thunderbolt would probably be easier to implement on the i7 versions. The E3s are equivalent in performance to an imac of the same generation. Some have hyperthreading...
Have the "everything will be refreshed at WWDC" rumors ever held up?
If you already have disk warrior, you may as well use it. The disk has to be up to date for whatever OS you're using. If the OSX partition is fairly full that would increase the amount of time the system waits on the HDD, sometimes increasing beachballs. I've never liked partitioning. Also disk warrior doesn't technically defragment data.
I have highlighted on that in the past. If everything else is growing and one line is flat, that puts it in a bad spot. The workstation market is smaller overall, but much of it is a matter of what portion of that market goes to Apple. It will probably never be their most important product line, but I do not think they would produce something without a strategy in mind.
There are a lot of interesting things that can be done, but it comes down to whether companies have a viable business plan and a way to fund these ventures. Doing it really well might involve further software development to include desirable features, and ideally you want younger designers who came out of college using smartphones (probably blackberries at the time) yet have some understanding of print layouts (not just magazines but brochures, tech packs, bus wraps,...
So Apple's manufacturing contracts should contain a skynet clause of some kind?
Are you referring to the opinion portion or the reference to the judge's order? The judge was very detailed in her reasoning. I'm not going to argue about their broader goals as it's a pointless argument to me.   http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=2012110322254380#Order
It might work either way. I suspect it's easier to integrate if the GPU is on the motherboard. That's less of a longer term design constraint, as thunderbolt seems like it was designed with highly integrated hardware in mind.