or Connect

Posts by hmm

I've kept up with this thread, and it reads like a list of things I would like to buy, yet will never see. When it comes to certain subsets of the product line, it really does feel like the elusive "Apple tax" through certain outlier model pricing and what they do or do not make.
I may try it at some point. Right now I use google docs, because it includes Latex. That way I can type math symbols and fractions.
I must look at the haswell lineup. Ivy had 0 quad i5 models in their mobile processor line. These were limited to desktop variants, where quad i5 was differentiated through disabled hyperthreading.
 I point this out whenever the topic comes up, and no one seems to have a response. The Xeon used in the base model at $3000 costs the same amount as the one they used in the cheese grater at $2500. It has been that way since 2009, and it costs less than any of the other mac pro cpus that preceded it. It costs marginally less than a high end i7. It also costs less than several of the mobile cpus used in the 15" rmbp. I suspect the price barrier you envision is really...
 You mean dual core? That's how it works with the mobile skus. The hyperthreading enabled/disable thing only applies to the desktop variants. I'm not entirely sure on this one. The mini initially borrowed its hardware configurations from the 13" mbp, but over time it took on more things from the 15" mbp. The 2011 model was gimped on video memory, but its gpu was clocked higher than the lowest 15" from that year which used a 6490m, which was the low end of AMD's lineup at...
 It isn't entirely unprecedented. The original mini was $499 IIRC. It has seen price increases and increases in capability relative to the rest of the concurrent line. I haven't read enough about DDR4, but it wouldn't surprise me to see SODIMMs go this way for the most part.
 It seems like kind of a non-story. The link shows the iPad rated highest on everything but price. Considering the minor difference, the predominant thread argument seems to come down to chest beating rights.
I just mentioned that because Marvin mentioned Iris pro benchmarks and the rmbp. If they are dependent on OpenCL or CUDA for that matter, the issue of framebuffer size is a big deal, because there is no virtual memory system available in gpu based computation. I don't know if that will change, but it is what it is for now. Going 2012 rmbp --> 2013 with discrete card seems like a fairly expensive proposition.
What Marvin points out in terms of performance could be an issue of drivers, but I wouldn't say an overclocked rebadge of what you own should be motivation to upgrade. The 750m is only available on the upper configuration. They did bump vram to 2GB, which can help with computation if you run a lot of GPGPU applications that are in fact memory bound. In that situation I would suggest the imac though, as the card used there gets 4GB, which is actually significant.
   I don't see the correlation here. I can be really annoying, and I'm not gay. What you describe sounds more like an issue with the individual.