or Connect

Posts by hmm

That would be great. Snow Leopard had its problems early on, but it shaped up nicely. Apart from the slipping OpenGL that really started prior to that, it was probably the best overall release of OSX. It's not practical to stay with forever, simply because that locks you in time in terms of features and framework updates. I definitely tend to stay longer with really stable releases whenever possible, just not typically more than a couple versions back.
  Desktop displays are often produced at 16:9 to allow for some reuse of parts initially designed for televisions. As of today those are mostly 1080 components. You would have a much greater component overlap if both went to 4K compared to today where a high quality 27" display is 2560x1440. Desktop displays in general tend to be a very conservative point in terms of panel technology relative to notebooks, phones, tablets, etc. If you start to see enough 4K televisions,...
  PNY put out an after market Quadro 4000 for the Mac Pro. Early drivers were absolutely terrible and caused kernel panics. Supposedly the later ones were good. It outperformed other applications in some software, but it varied. OpenCL 1.1 support was added later in spite of this being an after market card. The hardware would have been identical to the Windows version with whatever driver development. A lot of people have mentioned generic NVidia cards having received...
New computers still have a real northbridge?   Every other oem shipped it as a discrete component. My point was that they would have to test third party ones anyway if an updated thunderbolt display is to include it.   Doh forum chopped my post again and I'm not rewriting all of that. That was the one time I forgot to copy before submitting.
Thanks. I was unaware of that.   Again I missed that. I'm not aware of any native support from intel there, but they can probably reuse some of that work for the thunderbolt display updates.       I just looked through each chart. Keep in mind I hate using gaming benchmarks. Typically the prime function of these things is high precision OpenGL used in 3d apps, engineering applications, and some scientific work. That aside the difference you speak of is mainly seen on...
This arguably already happens. Either NVidia or PNY went back and added OpenCL support for OSX on the Quadro 4000 where it didn't exist initially. Their cards also support OpenCL under Windows. Some of the workstation cards aren't always tuned for it. In fact I've seen a lot of solutions that strapped additional cooling to gaming cards, simply because some calculations are very fast on them. Typically with workstation gpus you have certain driver features enabled and...
I never personally thought that. I mean what they did with the Xbox isn't bad. It should have been obvious things would go to the phone as far back as the Handspring Treo, speaking of which Microsoft had earlier phone products. They just didn't pursue that area hard enough or utilize it to its potential.     I do know what it covers. You can deduct the cost of Adobe's rental model too without amortization. I really don't like what Adobe did, but I think the complaints are...
I think they went with whatever was available and stable at the time of development. If I remember correctly, the raytracer in After Effects uses technology that is published by NVidia. NVidia also owns the remnants of Mental Images and just a lot of graphics and rendering related technology. I don't think it was a move they made for no reason. Adobe has added OpenCL support in some applications, and they will probably continue. As to the subscription thing, it's still...
It gets more interesting around the W7000 level. There are two cards, but there's no reason to expect linear scaling. Much of the time I'm writing down suspicions based on what data is available. As I've said it will be more interesting to see what comes from a shipping unit. I think they only did the preview due to how long the old one has gone without a true update. I also wonder if we'll see additional scalable thunderbolt storage solutions beyond what we have today. I...
Yes I've gathered that. I've followed both for a very long time. NVidia overall has been really aggressive in expanding their market as you pointed out. I don't see that as a bad thing. I think it was only logical that they tuned things for their own hardware. They wanted to squeeze as much performance and stability as possible out of it. I see no motivation for such a company to do the major R&D work to get an open standard off the ground. They don't sell as many, but...