or Connect

Posts by vvswarup

I've seen Apple end up on the wrong side of a double standard enough number of times to stop holding my breath for Apple to get a fair shake in the press.  People have a short memory. Google's handling of Glass is nothing new. That's the way Google has been doing things for years.
The price tag is high. There's no doubt about that. But this deal can't be worse than Google buying Motorola for $12.5 billion and selling the company for $2.9 billion and barely breaking even on the deal in the process.
 A corporation's job is to maximize shareholder value. If shareholders can earn a greater return on cash than the corporation can, the corporation is doing a disservice to shareholders by refusing to distribute the cash. Apple's cash balance exceeded $100 billion in April 2012, when Apple announced a dividend and buyback plan. Apple had repeatedly said that they have more cash than they need. Explain to me how that wouldn't have been the case had SJ been CEO. Whether or...
Let's not get too carried away with conspiracy theories that Wall Street's estimates are based on a nefarious scheme to shaft Main Street. The tools that you describe for fundamental analysis such as SWOT analysis and present value of future cash flows are the same tools that Wall Street analysts use to come up with their earnings estimates and price targets. The reality is that unfortunately, you and I have the freedom to do what we want with our analysis but Wall Street...
There is nothing wrong with a company attempting to develop core competencies in other areas. If Google wants to try to develop a core competency in hardware, that's okay. If Google was trying to compete against Apple in hardware, Google was going about it the wrong way entirely. For years, Apple has been derided for its model of vertical integration. The fact that Google bought Motorola's phone business and manufactured a phone was Google going against its own philosophy...
If you thought Apple was being shareholder-unfriendly despite buybacks and dividends, I'm afraid you have no idea what it means to be shareholder-unfriendly. The Googles and Facebooks hold the first-place trophy. Google split its stock a year ago in a weird way in which they created a new class of shares called Class C shares that carry no voting power. As it is, Class A shares don't have the same voting rights as Class B shares, which are held by the founders. Class C...
 Who said they can't use Google Maps? I don't think Google will block Samsung from Maps. Samsung is the dominant smartphone manufacturer and in the Android space, they're the only one making money. Google isn't Apple or Microsoft. Google needs users' eyeballs looking at ads. Eyeballs are eyeballs. It doesn't matter if it's an iOS or Android user looking at ads. I doubt Google will refuse to allow Samsung to use Maps.  They're not evil. They're being smart business people....
I don't know what prompted the co-founder to say Facebook is a better home than Apple but I'm not surprised he thinks that way. Why would he bite the hand that fed him? 
Google has spent years cultivating the image of Android being "open" and it has used this to paint Apple as the big, bad, evil corporation with its "walled garden" and "closed OS." Yet for years, there have been many whisperings about how the Android platform works which cast serious doubt on the openness of Android.   There is a mounting pile of evidence to indicate that Android isn't truly "open," at least not in a way that's of any benefit to the customer. Android is...
Is this a real post or a troll post?Apple amassing a cash pile of $100 billion+ is "wasteful" but buying a money-loser for $12.5 billion only to sell at a loss isn't wasteful? And you call Apple a tightwad when they're executing massive buy backs and paying huge dividends. What does that make Google. They've never paid a dividend and for all the news about self-driving cars and other stuff, Google has only one true engine of growth-ads. In fact, Google is executing a stock...