or Connect

Posts by vvswarup

This is sounding exactly like what happened with the iPad 2. There was a post on an obscure Taiwanese blog called Yunatsu, which said that it had sources that confirmed that the iPad 2 was pushed back to June. As far as I'm concerned, this is nothing but rumors, and if someone is trying to get their hands on Apple stock, then this is market manipulation, plain and simple. My verdict is: Talk to me after a more credible source (e.g. Wall Street Journal) can confirm...
Apple is creaming everybody in profits. That's what matters. Google can preen ad infinatum about doubling and tripling its market share. Profits tell a different story.
Apple wanted to make the iPhone available to every carrier, but only AT&T would agree to Apple's terms. People can trot out market share figures saying that Android is clobbering iOS. The fact remains that Apple still owns the top spot in profits and profit share. Market share is not going to pay for R&D on a new product or pay taxes to the government. Profits will, though.
This is exactly how I see it. It's exactly why Apple is vilified so much. Take the Flash debate for example. A lot people think that the reason Apple excludes Flash is so that they can protect revenue from the App Store. Many call this attitude greed. I am amazed when people condemn Apple for being greedy. If Apple wants to protect its App Store revenue, that's its prerogative. Adobe is doing the same thing with Flash. Adobe has been stalling the standards committee on...
Are publishers being forced to do business with Apple? Also, here's how I see the subscription policy. Let's take Netflix as an example. I have a subscription to Netflix. I had it before I got the app. I downloaded the app, and I can watch film on Netflix using the account that I already have. In this case, Apple would not get a cut of the fees I pay to Netflix. In the same scenario, say an iOS user downloaded the Netflix app. As I understand it, the rules are saying that...
Maybe after YOU get a software patent, maybe YOU don't have to innovate because you can just sue people who produce that same piece of software. But what about people who try make something BETTER than what you've patented. The existence of a software patent has forced others to circumvent your patent, which likely leads to something better. As a result, your patent is now a worthless piece of paper. So no, I don't think patents make people lazy. Maybe it gives someone an...
Are you serious?It's pretty likely that you are simply being an Internet troll for the sake of being an Internet troll. But in case you arent, do really think Google keeps its algorithms secret to "protect innovation." Did I mention that Google accused Microsoft of copying search results in Bing?
You seem to be missing the point entirely. Patent trolls are companies that buy up patents just to use them as weapons against other companies. MPEG-LA never bought any patents relating to H264 patent pool. The member companies own the patents. MPEG-LA is an organization that the member companies have paid to manage the H264 license and the related patents. In this role, MPEG LA is doing its job by looking for violations. It's looking out for its clients' best interests.
You seem to think that patents stifle competition. That's completely false. Let's say someone patents something. Others can't produce that thing. However, say those "others" have the drive to beat the dude who has the patent. The others will focus their energies on creating something better than the patented thing.
Way to take things out of context. The feature you seem to be talking about is something different. Apple wanted to work on an embedded SIM chip, which would do away with the requirement for customers to obtain a carrier-specific SIM. Not wanting to be even more marginalized, European carriers killed the project by threatening to cancel subsidies on the iPhone. I've heard this too many times to count. I'm willing to be money that if anyone besides Apple were to do this,...