or Connect

Posts by vvswarup

Couldn't have put it any better.
Processors using older technologies are produced in fabs outside the country, such as China, since that IP is not very important. Processors based on newer technologies are fabricated in US fabs. For example, apparently, the Core 2 Duo processors are manufactured in China or other countries where it is cheaper to produce them.
I'm not denying that at all. Intel has a fab in China and other countries in the world, but most of its fabs are in the USA. I don't doubt that. All I'm saying is that don't think that Intel keeps its fabs in the USA out of some altruistic concern for American jobs. Intel wants to protect its IP, and it's easier to keep an eye on fabs if they're in the US.
Intel doesn't keep its fabs in the US because of some altruistic concern for the US economy. It's just that there is more protection for IP in the US than there is in other countries, e.g. China. Intel doesn't want its IP getting ripped off in another country. That's why even though they have to pay higher salaries to do it in the US, they can at least keep an eye on the fabs to prevent someone from walking off with proprietary technology. I heard this from a friend who...
I totally agree with you. BES is a big competitive advantage for BlackBerry devices. Enterprise customers like BlackBerry because of BES. If BES works for other devices, then people don't have much of a reason to buy BlackBerry phones. Also, what's so great about the new Bold? It's the same as the old Bold except that the screen is a touchscreen and it has a keyboard, except that you have half the screen real estate that you'd normally have on full-size touchscreen phone...
You can think of it that way too. Numbers go only so far. Apple has milked the "We have the most apps" card for all it's worth. That's not going to be the case anymore, so now it's time to emphasize a new selling point for the App Store. You can't argue with $2 billion, simple as that.
Apple has booked up over 60% of the touchscreen capacity. Rumor has it that they're offering upfront cash payments to suppliers to get served first with components. What more would you have Tim Cook do?
Businesses exist for only one reason: make money and lots of it. I don't by company rhetoric which claims that they're taking certain actions out of the goodness of their hearts. I won't spare any company on this, including Apple. All that talk about wanting to maintain the "user experience" is simply business-speak for: "We want to protect our brand and a bad user experience is bad for our brand." Also, if companies don't have/don't like a particular product, they tend...
If Apple supposedly bought up all the component supplies just to block out competitors, they're idiots. What if the iPad and other products had not been as successful as Apple thought it would be? Apple would be sitting on mountains of components While creating shortages for competitors and squeezing their margins is a welcome side effect, the logical reason for Apple offering upfront cash payments is so that Apple can get the best possible price deals and ensure as...
An open-source software program is one where the end user has unfettered access to the source code. By contract, a closed-source program is where the user does not have access to the source code. By "unfettered," I mean that access to the source is not encumbered in any way (e.g. license agreements). Android is "open-source" to OEMs since they can pretty much put whatever skins they want on the products. However, if what Andy Rubin says is true, that Google is not...