or Connect

Posts by vvswarup

But Apple buying out Nest, I don't know if I heard that one. Maybe a few comments here or there on the forum, but the talk has reached a new level of intensity, after Google paid through their nose for it. It's almost as though people think Apple should have bought out Nest just to prevent Google from getting their hands on it. 
Nest has been around for quite a while now. We hardly ever heard anything about Nest on AppleInsider, except when they announce a new product. There was never any talk about Apple buying Nest.    Why is it that all of a sudden, after Google pays a princely sum for Nest, people say that Apple should have bought Nest? What changed? How did Nest magically become the must-have company for Apple? Better yet, how does Google buying Nest magically turn it into the company that...
 Google believes in "open standards and alliances?" Is that so? In that case, why did they support Flash, which is 100% proprietary? Why was Maps on iOS so far behind Android's version of Google Maps while Apple was still with Google? If they believed in open standards and alliances, they would have let Apple implement turn-by-turn and other features that Android users enjoyed for years. They didn't think they were getting their fair share out of the deal. 
Actually, Google already hit their "Wall Street lumps." A few years ago, Google's stock was in the dumps and Apple was riding high. Google's stock had fallen from an all-time high of around $700 per share around 2007 to around $500 per share in 2008. It fell even more during the bear market but recovered to around $500. It stayed range-bound for a while. During that time, questions emerged about Google's ability to generate growth outside of ad revenue. That's when...
This isn't about hating Google. It's the fact that many pro-Google people make it sound like Google doesn't care about making money and is doing these things out of the goodness of their hearts. That irks me because it is an utterly asinine notion. Google is as interested in earning a profit as the next company. It's just that Google doesn't care about the money it could make off of us consumers. They make far more money through advertising. That's why Google gives away...
From Samsung's interview, it's kind of funny how people deride Apple for being just a "marketing company" and laud Samsung, Google, and Microsoft as the real innovators. The irony in that statement is that Apple has never resorted to Samsung's tactics to promote their products. For starters, the amount that Samsung spent on marketing in 2013 is more than three times what Apple spent on R&D in that year. Apple executives don't give media interviews to talk about future...
So your explanation for Google not wielding their patent portfolio is they they'd rather be the white knight in shining armor.  How utterly asinine! Sorry to burst your bubble but no corporation with any hope of staying in business would pay several billion dollars for a company that's losing money if it didn't think there was something of value. Google was shaking in its boots seeing how its Android licensees were being forced to fork over cash to Microsoft in patent...
The history books are littered with examples of CEOs who made giant acquisitions that amounted to nothing more than bragging rights at dinner parties. On the other hand, I don't think the amount Apple spent on an acquisition has come even close to a $1 billion since Steve Jobs came back to Apple. Some examples I can think of are PA Semi and FingerWorks, both of which were pretty cheap acquisitions. I don't even need to get into how much Apple has gotten out of those tiny...
In the media I've read, Apple's products have been panned time after time, only for Apple to post blowout sales figures. Take the iPhone. Steve Ballmer laughed at the iPhone, saying that the lack of a keyboard makes it a not-so-great email machine. It's still called a toy, even though it's the phone of choice in the enterprise market. In fact, none of the leading smartphones these days, such as the Galaxy phones, Nexus, and others have a physical keyboard. They're all...
 If you call this article "tabloid trash" even when it was labeled as an editorial, then there isn't a word in the English language to describe articles on Engadget, AP, Reuters or any other news outlet that discuss things like labor practices of Apple's suppliers, pieces entirely devoid of balanced journalism and clearly designed to generate page views.