or Connect

Posts by vvswarup

The history books are littered with examples of CEOs who made giant acquisitions that amounted to nothing more than bragging rights at dinner parties. On the other hand, I don't think the amount Apple spent on an acquisition has come even close to a $1 billion since Steve Jobs came back to Apple. Some examples I can think of are PA Semi and FingerWorks, both of which were pretty cheap acquisitions. I don't even need to get into how much Apple has gotten out of those tiny...
In the media I've read, Apple's products have been panned time after time, only for Apple to post blowout sales figures. Take the iPhone. Steve Ballmer laughed at the iPhone, saying that the lack of a keyboard makes it a not-so-great email machine. It's still called a toy, even though it's the phone of choice in the enterprise market. In fact, none of the leading smartphones these days, such as the Galaxy phones, Nexus, and others have a physical keyboard. They're all...
 If you call this article "tabloid trash" even when it was labeled as an editorial, then there isn't a word in the English language to describe articles on Engadget, AP, Reuters or any other news outlet that discuss things like labor practices of Apple's suppliers, pieces entirely devoid of balanced journalism and clearly designed to generate page views. 
 Having a product fly off the shelf faster than Apple can make it is not exactly a good thing either. They can't book revenue from people who really want to buy a product but can't because it's not in stock. 
 How is Microsoft anything but a "locked down operating system?" And with Microsoft's business model, the only company making money is Microsoft. The OEMs have been robbed of the ability to differentiate their system in any way other than price, forcing them to fight over table scraps.  In the business world, success or failure is measured by profits. That's what helps a business pay its employees, fund R&D on the next product, and most importantly, keep the lights on at...
  If all it took to make an acquisition work was to have the money to make the deal, Apple wouldn't have stopped with HTC. Apple has the money to buy Netflix and Nokia. They can throw in Nvidia and BBRY just for laughs. When they're done making the respective shareholders of these companies ridiculously rich, Apple would still have plenty of cash leftover.    That's not how an acquisition becomes successful. And HTC is a terrible candidate for an acquisition on so many...
And your point?
I won't name "names" but one of the comments in another article on AppleInsider criticized Apple for doing very few things to benefit humanity, and cited Apple's lack of acquisitions as an example of Apple doing very little for the benefit of society. The same post went on to complement Google for their purchase of Motorola, saying that even if the acquisition ends up a total bust for Google, Google still deserves credit for trying to save "once great American...
I believe the iPad batteries are designed in-house, so they are probably already spending a lot on battery R&D. 
  I commend Bill Gates for giving away his fortune for things like cancer research, but I will not sit here and let you whitewash his record as a businessman. Gates was much an a-hole to his staff as Jobs was. He was every bit as ruthless as Steve Jobs was in general.