or Connect

Posts by vvswarup

I won't name "names" but one of the comments in another article on AppleInsider criticized Apple for doing very few things to benefit humanity, and cited Apple's lack of acquisitions as an example of Apple doing very little for the benefit of society. The same post went on to complement Google for their purchase of Motorola, saying that even if the acquisition ends up a total bust for Google, Google still deserves credit for trying to save "once great American...
I believe the iPad batteries are designed in-house, so they are probably already spending a lot on battery R&D. 
  I commend Bill Gates for giving away his fortune for things like cancer research, but I will not sit here and let you whitewash his record as a businessman. Gates was much an a-hole to his staff as Jobs was. He was every bit as ruthless as Steve Jobs was in general.
  In business, profit does equal success. That's the objective of a business. Markets will become saturated, leading to commoditization. Smart, well-run businesses anticipate this trend and plan an exit strategy before commoditization takes hold fully.    But commoditization can be delayed. The Wintel business model was doomed to commoditize PCs from day one. OEMs were buying the OS from the same vendor and the CPU from one of two vendors (Intel or AMD). Those two are the...
You are vastly oversimplifying things. Revenue alone does not solve problems. If your expenses exceed revenue, you're not going to be in business very long. If you have low margins, that's not a good thing either because not only are you less capable of weathering a revenue decline but also, you have less money to reinvest in the business.    As for Amazon, have you asked yourself why Amazon would choose to earn as little profit as possible? And turning a profit isn't a...
Translation: Businesses that invest money smartly deserve to be punished with seizure of the illbegotten savings.    First of all, Apple is a business. They're accountable to shareholders. Any decision on spending money has to be looked at with the yardstick of strategic importance.    And your notion that Apple just looks at "known plans and profits" is very far from the truth. How long do you think iOS was in development before it was released with the first iPhone? I...
  It is rumored that iOS was developed around the time the iPod was announced and Jobs originally wanted it to be on a tablet. The iPod was released almost ten years before the iPad. And the iPhone was released 5-6 years after the iPod. That doesn't look like "short-term" profit to me.   And spending money just because you can isn't smart business. At the end of the day, that's what Apple is. That's what your beloved Google is. It is disappointing to see you apply...
I would take what analysts say with a grain of salt. They aren't trend setters. They're trend followers. Analyst estimates for Apple exposed this in the worst way. When the stock was on the way up to $700, it was all unicorns and rainbows. Apple was the darling of Wall Street and it was about to blast off into orbit. You had analysts playing the "who can come up with the highest price target" game. When the stock capitulated, the analyst community was all of a sudden...
It's not the copying that's funny. It's the fact that for years, people have derided Apple's vertically integrated business model as not offering the consumer enough choice. People have steadfastly supported the Microsoft model of universal licensing. Google emulated this approach, touting it as an "open" model that offers consumers choices. Yet, here we are today where companies are moving toward the Apple model. Samsung started out as an OEM. Now, they're taking a more...
Apple's advertising may not convey a "smarmy attitude" but Apple takes digs at the competition as much as the next company. They take digs at competitors during their product presentations. As an example, during the iPad 2 announcement, Steve Jobs said something to the effect of "Will 2011 be the year of the copycats?" Also, Phil Schiller pointed out several things he perceived as weaknesses in competing tablets when he unveiled the iPad Mini.