or Connect

Posts by vvswarup

I would take what analysts say with a grain of salt. They aren't trend setters. They're trend followers. Analyst estimates for Apple exposed this in the worst way. When the stock was on the way up to $700, it was all unicorns and rainbows. Apple was the darling of Wall Street and it was about to blast off into orbit. You had analysts playing the "who can come up with the highest price target" game. When the stock capitulated, the analyst community was all of a sudden...
It's not the copying that's funny. It's the fact that for years, people have derided Apple's vertically integrated business model as not offering the consumer enough choice. People have steadfastly supported the Microsoft model of universal licensing. Google emulated this approach, touting it as an "open" model that offers consumers choices. Yet, here we are today where companies are moving toward the Apple model. Samsung started out as an OEM. Now, they're taking a more...
Apple's advertising may not convey a "smarmy attitude" but Apple takes digs at the competition as much as the next company. They take digs at competitors during their product presentations. As an example, during the iPad 2 announcement, Steve Jobs said something to the effect of "Will 2011 be the year of the copycats?" Also, Phil Schiller pointed out several things he perceived as weaknesses in competing tablets when he unveiled the iPad Mini.
For years, Apple was on the receiving end of elitist rhetoric. We had people like Dell calling for Apple to shut down and give the money back to shareholders. We had Steve Ballmer derisively dismiss the iPhone as being too expensive. When the iPad came out, everyone and their mother was racing to declare it an utter failure, calling Apple stupid for making it look like a "giant iPod Touch." People lampooned the iPad name ruthlessly, with a reference to female personal...
Apple is not a pure hardware company. Apple is a software company too. They develop the operating system for their hardware.
I don't define success as "making money" and failure as "not making money." What I'm saying is that when it comes to a for-profit entity like Google, the "sucess" of a product or service has to translate into making money. It probably cost money to develop that product/service. If you can't recoup that investment within an acceptable timeframe, you won't be in business very long.   I say this to refute people's claims that Google does what it does out of some motive...
For a business, "success" has to translate into making money. That's how you pay your employees. That's how you pay for components to make the next great product.    And your statement that Google may be just trying to "elevate the level of technology out in the world" is one of the most asinine statements I have heard in a while. The fact that Google spouts such patently false nonsense makes it even worse. Google wants to make money as much as the next corporation. The...
What should Apple have said? "Stop selling off our stock."
Moral of the story: Never listen to a sell-side analyst from Wall Street. This is doubly important for Apple. I find it laughable when they throw out suggestions for products that Apple should sell, like a 5-inch iPhone or a cheaper iPhone. Do they seriously think they can run Apple better than Tim Cook and his team? 
What choice did Apple have? They had to honor their deal with AT&T.