or Connect

Posts by vvswarup

That's exactly what I said. Very few corporations pay that rate. But people use the fact that few corporations pay that rate to justify the fact that our taxes aren't really all that high, something that I disagree with.   As I said before, corporations reduce the tax that they actually have to pay after paying lawyers and accountants to come up with a tax strategy. If our marginal tax rate were lower, there wouldn't be as much of an incentive to come up with ways to...
  Your claim about how very few corporations, if not none, pay much less than the marginal tax rate of 35%. But in using this fact to refute a belief that the United States has the largest corporate tax rate in the world and it should be lowered to make our economy more competitive fails to account for a key fact-HOW corporations end up paying that low tax rate. The MARGINAL tax rate represents the tax rate incurred if a company did absolutely nothing at all to lower its...
This guy isn't part of "Wall Street." Wall Street is the group of "analysts," more appropriately known as armchair CEOs. This guy is worse than those Wall Street bigwigs who, in the words of a friend of mine, should stick to deciding what cereal to eat in the morning.
  What you're saying is Apple is not doing enough distributions, making it a shareholder unfriendly company. I understand your reasoning but I disagree with the conclusion.   The stock buyback was always about offsetting dilution from stock option grants. Companies have to be very careful about the message they send when they do distributions. Look at this way. Companies have two choices when it comes to their cash. They can give it back to shareholders or they can...
Are you being serious or sarcastic?   What those armchair CEOs on Wall Street say is meaningless because in the grand scheme of things, it's cash flow that's going to keep your business in good shape, not a trophy signed by the Wall Street bigwigs. The first-place trophy isn't going to pay employees' salaries, fund R&D on the next product, or pay component suppliers. A business needs cash flow in order to to these things.   Market share doesn't automatically...
Page can preach all he wants about how he wants to do right by the consumer, but at the end of the day, they're a business just like Apple. They're in this to make money. No one should ever believe that.   To those who claim that Google has given us great free services like Maps and Gmail and have made the world a better place with these services, let's not forget that Google gets tons of advertising revenue from them. They're comfortable in the strength of their...
It's too early to say that there was no response to this article compared to the furor over labor violations relating to Apple. This article was released on Labor Day, when most people are on vacation.   With that said, no one roots for Goliath. In every situation, Apple is Goliath against a bunch of Davids. 
If there were a rule against apps doing the same thing 1st party apps do, Apple would have kicked out every stock market app, every texting app, and most important, every mapping app among others. There are tons of 3rd party mapping apps.    If Google puts together an app for the app store, I see no reason why Apple wouldn't allow it.
There's no question of Apple "allowing" Google Maps as an alternative app. It's up to Google to develop one and put it in the app store.
People who think that Apple should license patents and make money are not seeing the point here. Apple's strategy revolves around putting a unique product in the hands of the consumer. Apple tries to set itself apart from competitors products. Licensing out the patents and making a mint off of licensing fees might sound nice on paper. But in the long range, it's contrary to Apple's strategy of building a unique device.