or Connect

Posts by vvswarup

So if you choose to buy someone's product, that person now owes you something? If someone in Spain choose to buy a song/app from Apple, that individual chose to buy an Apple product of their own free will. Apple doesn't owe the whole of Spain one damn thing! Now it's a different matter if Apple does business in Spain, e.g. having stores in Spain. But even then, I don't blame Apple for working with the system in place. I blame the government for putting the system in place. 
Steve would have paid a dividend. He wouldn't have had a choice. In terms of shareholder value, Apple's cash hoard was being a drag. Apple was probably earning less than 1% on their cash hoard. If Apple paid a dividend, a shareholder could buy stock in another company and generate a much greater return on it.    There's also the issue of share creep. A lot of people at Apple have received options grants. When they exercise these options, those are new shares on the...
Apple's fundamentals haven't changed at all. It's just that stocks as a whole aren't an attractive asset class to be parking money in.    All the arguments I've been hearing about how Apple's growth isn't sustainable sound like saying, "Eventually everything that is born has to die." Don't tell me that Apple's growth will level off. Tell me HOW Apple will level off. Will Apple die of cancer or natural causes?
You people are reading way too much into this. Insiders sell shares all the time to raise cash. For example, if they want to buy a house, they might just sell their shares to get the cash. It means nothing.
A lot of people move to states that have lower tax rates. They undertake all sorts of measures to reduce their taxes as much as possible within the bounds of the law. Outsmarting Uncle Sam has been a national pastime for decades.    Many individuals have tried tax saving strategies such as gifting some of their income to their kids as a way to avoid taxes. Since kids have no income, they have no income tax, so parents would be able to get some of their come tax-free....
First of all, in the eyes of the law, there are no "small guys" and "big guys." At least ideally. Patents are designed to protect the fruits of one's investment of resources, be it a large or a small corporation. A patent troll is used to describe an entity that acts basically as a patent holding company. It buys up patents from other companies with no intention whatsoever of actually using those patents to make a product. The patent troll buys up patents with intent to...
Let me rephrase my statement. FRAND is not exactly a legal designation. It is a licensing doctrine that applies to standards-essential patents. My statement was in reponse to a poster who claimed that people on this forum go gung ho when Apple sues with a patent but cry foul when other sue Apple, throwing around terms like FRAND. Standards bodies create standards in order to ensure interoperability. Companies that contribute to standards with patents typically agree to...
Your perception is completely wrong. FRAND is a legal designation applied to patents that are essential to implementing standards. Apple isn't suing using a patent LEGALLY DESIGNATED as FRAND.
Why are you wasting your time? Let me tell you what people say whenever it is put forward that dozens of other companies have their stuff made in the same "terrible working conditions." They say that Apple has the resources to eat the cost so they should take the lead. Essentially, they're saying that Apple has the resources to do better, so they should do better. Others don't have the resources to do better. They don't understand that it's not so simple as just throwing...
This is turning in "Which came first, chicken or egg" type debate. Here is what I can tell you. Companies want to save resources, be it time, money or others. It's easier to hire a US citizen than it is to hire a non-US citizen who needs sponsorship for work permit. If you want to know why people are turning away from Engineering and Comp Sci, one need look no further than our schooling. High school education has died. Students' math skills have been on the decline for...