or Connect

Posts by alexkhan2000

I used to be of the thought that a 7~8" iPad mini is unnecessary until I started commuting in the subway trains of Seoul, Tokyo and other densely populated cities around the world over the past year or so. I live in Southern California so that's about as opposite as the geography gets for large metropolitan centers. Here in So Cal, I definitely don't see the need for a smaller iPad when I have the iPad 2 that I'm very happy with. Still, whenever I go into a Starbucks or...
Try commuting every day on subways and buses in cities like NY, London, Paris, Rome, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo, etc. and you'd appreciate a smaller tablet. I visit these cities on a regular basis and the iPad is just too big to use while on the move in crowded trains and on the streets. Most people in this world live in dense cities and move about on foot, not drive around like most people do here in the States. If I lived in Seoul I'd definitely want a smaller iPad but...
It's almost sad (in an unintentionally funny way) to see what Microsoft has become. They've become the laughing stock has-been of the tech world and all I see from Gates here is outright denial of the state that Microsoft is in. I really thought that Microsoft would come out with something at least a little more compelling and well thought-out but, alas, that was not meant to be. Gates is totally out of touch and has been for a long time. He can't fix anything now even if...
Microsoft acquiring Nokia... That's an interesting thing to ponder. What a horrible predicament it must be for both Microsoft and Nokia - especially Microsoft. They're both cornered and none of the very limited options they have are attractive. Acquiring Nokia would mean that Microsoft can forget about licensing WP8 to other OEM phone vendors. It'd be do or die with Nokia and it's already close to death. Not acquiring Nokia would mean that the Nokia burning platform...
    It just highlights the economic power of the US in relation to the rest of the world. The same can be said of China Mobile that only does business in China yet they are number10. Ditto for Vodafone for Europe. The telecom brands do carry a lot of economic weight. It's impossible to not notice the top carrier brands in each country, whatever they may be. Eventually, these carriers will cross various geographical boundaries through M&A.   I'm surprised Samsung's brand...
Let's not be in denial about how well Samsung is doing with the sales of their smartphones. I see big screen Samsung phones all over Asia - including here in China where I'm traveling for business. Samsung is killing the likes of Nokia, Motorola, Sony/Ericsson, and LG that I used to see more of in the past. Apple's iPhone presence is notable but a distant number two to Samsung in terms of visibility. There's no doubt that the Galaxy SIII will sell in the tens of millions...
I've spent the past three weeks in Korea and China and over 70% of the smartphones I see have 4"-and-up screens - especially in Seoul where Samsung dominates with the Galaxy, Nexus, and Note. Looking at all the people using their smartphones in crowded subway trains, they don't seem bothered at all holding or using the big screen phones. They (including women with small hands) seem to get around fine using them with just one hand. How often is it that you have to have the...
I've been traveling through Korea and China the past couple of weeks and virtually every non-iPhone (which is a whole lot more than iPhones) has a 4"-and-up screen. It doesn't seem to bother the people here at all. I see a lot of them use it just fine with one hand and Asians, generally speaking, are smaller people with smaller hands. I saw a lot of Galaxy Notes in Seoul and although it does look goofy, people use it as a phone just fine. They seem to have no problem...
This makes perfect sense. All the rumblings and actions being taken do point to Apple getting into the TV biz. It definitely does remind me of all the hoopla going on before the iPhone was finally released. That being said, I agree with those who say that the only real differentiator will be software and content related. Great industrial design will help and there'll be millions who would buy a dumb panel with the Apple logo slapped on it, but for the long-term viability...
The world is not America-centric. Apple's international revenues are already approaching 70%. Most people in this world don't commute in their own cars. They use public transport. I was just in Seoul for 10 days and saw a ton of 7~8" tablets and 5" Galaxy Notes in subway trains and buses. I'm in China now and see tons of phones that are 4" and up. To a lot of people here, the 3.5" iPhone is too small and the 10" iPad is too big.   I live in LA but travel all over...