or Connect

Posts by alexkhan2000

The ATV performance has been better than I ever expected. I've read some comments here and there about movies taking hours to load and how they stutter or stop, etc., but I haven't had that problem at all. Movies start playing in seconds and I've never had to wait for things to load. I've been able to stop watching something, go onto watch something else, come back to the first program and resume where I left off. I've been able to skip around the chapters of movies as...
Agreed. The ATV (along with a new iMac) has replaced the Verizon FiOS set-top box, the DVD player and the old stereo system. I'm not much of a TV watcher at all; I just want to watch good movies (including the old classics), some documentaries from Nat Geo, History Channel, etc., and stream my iTunes content to the HDTV and the Bose home theater system. It's a really minimalistic setup but does everything I've ever really wanted and more. I'm sure more features will be...
When there is money to be made, even the most diametrically opposed in the ideological realm will get together and form an alliance. We all know that opposites attract (although this one does seem like the most strange of bedfellows) and the potential for good to come out for both sides is big. Does anyone think that Apple will dismiss or ignore the right-wing market base because people in that base think different from Jobs or most folks at Apple? Their money is as...
Some people do and some people don't. Why bother posting if it's not an issue to you? There are plenty of industry analysts and the vendors of the handset devices considering this very issue. Samsung recently hinted that it will be focusing more on the WP7 platform than Android in the future. LG is also putting more of its focus on WP7. Why have Nokia, RIM, and HP rejected the adoption of Android? They don't want to be part of the fragmentation chaos. It's also what Steve...
I've posted on other boards as well about this subject and will post here as well. There was an article on Asymco about the lack of any common DRM framework on Android. The article also brought up the prospect of the Android fragmentation not only being impossible to rein in but that it may actually be by design. From Netflix blog: The hurdle has been the lack of a generic and complete platform security and content protection mechanism available for Android. The...
Don't know if this has been posted here yet. Thought I'd share. Saw it over at Daring Fireball which linked to laughingsquid.com. Pretty spot on, I'd say...
Well, I think I've spent enough time on this whole subject and won't bother with it anymore. I think the most telling thing is that this news of Apple discontinuing the Xserve is not even mentioned in most mainstream tech sites and tech stock analysis sites. I visit a lot of other non-Mac-specific tech-oriented sites like CNET, ZDnet, Computerworld, Computer Weekly, Silicon Alley, Daring Fireball, Fast Company, eWeek, PC World, etc. as well as general business/stock sites...
I neve said that. Seriously, those things were said more by the Apple haters, doubters and the phone companies and industry pundits. Apple already had the consumer focus and the experience of selling massive volumes of the iPod for years before getting into the phone business. Also, they had something with the iPhone that the entrenched competitors didn't have. That's way different than coming up with the next great high-end server that can disrupt and up-end the market....
Ummm... Rather bad comparison, I must say. At the most, Apple probably sold around 10,000 Xserves a quarter. That wouldn't amount to 0.5% market share of which is a much smaller and very specialized market than the PC market. Well over 1,300,000 Windows servers are sold per quarter but that's still peanuts compared to around 75,000,000 PC's sold per quarter around the world.In contrast, Apple sells over 42,000 Macs per day and growing at 25%+ year-over-year. On a daily...
I think Apple realized that a long time ago. Yes, the server market has become commoditized and there's no going back now to Sun's heydays of 50% gross margins during the dot com boom era of the late-90's. The server hardware is a commodity with razor thin margins and the only way the large enterprise players like IBM and HP make real money in the enterprise market is through software and services.Again, like in the PC desktop/laptop market, Microsoft and Intel make the...