or Connect

Posts by alexkhan2000

I'm in midst of a 10-day stay in Seoul, Korea - part of a 3-week trip that will include China. Obviously, the SIII announcement is getting a lot of press but I don't see that the people are all that excited. There seems to be an upgrade fatigue building. I mean, how long ago was it that Samsung introduced the Galaxy Note? Or the last Galaxy II? What about the Nexus? Who can stay on top of all this stuff?   I've been moving about a lot in Seoul over the past several...
  As a Korean-American, I’m ashamed of Samsung and the tacky, classless way they do business. I’ve never owned a Samsung-branded product in my life and most likely never will. The only thing that’ll make me change my mind is if the Samsung Group conglomerate gets split up into dozens of independent companies without the Samsung brand.   Every time I go to Seoul I get sick of the Samsung brand blaring at my face wherever I turn: Samsung microwave ovens, Samsung...
    People in the US really do underestimate the market potential of China and the rest of the world in general. So many here tend to think outside of the US is all third world or something of that sort. I think we saw this in action with the investors who dumped AAPL over the past few weeks. Apple is still only scratching the surface in China (China Mobile still to come) and has barely gotten started in India and Brazil. These so-called analysts as well as the...
I think there is one important comparison that needs to be made between Apple’s earnings report and that of Microsoft’s: Apple is now a more profitable company by net income margins as well. 29.6% for Apple vs. 29.3% for MS ($11.6 billion net income on revenues of $39.2 billion vs. $5.1 billion on $17.4 billion). Heck, it seems it won’t be long before Apple’s net income catches up with Microsoft’s revenues.   Pretty amazing... A hardware company with better margins...
Man, that was good!
There is no doubt that those "wilderness" years away from Apple running NeXT and Pixar shaped Jobs into becoming arguably the most admired and dominant CEO the business world has ever seen. His ouster from Apple in '85 was really a long-term blessing in disguise. He needed those years away from Apple to learn all the ins and outs of running a business from the ground up. Not to defend Sculley in any way or form, but Jobs definitely seemed to be veering out of control at...
Umm... sales and inventory management is what Tim Cook did as COO but I guess you didn't know that. I'm posting Apple's unofficial 'org chart' during the Jobs era. Sales in large corporations is essentially about getting rid of inventory. I've worked in large companies as well.Seriously, what can a CFO at an airline company do in terms of selling to other enterprises? Your logic makes zero sense.
Yeah, I really don't understand the praise that the Metro interface gets from some people. It looks very unappealing aesthetically — especially the colors of those tiles. Nauseating... But that's just me... As far as Ballmer, it'd be good if he stays at MS as long as possible. You see, we like his strategy. We like it a lot!
Seriously, the guy must be a major numbers wiz. You see those types every now and then in companies of all ilk and size. Apple's numbers are starting to get into the astronomical range now and I can see that Apple needs managers who know how to deal with some really big numbers very quickly. That's my take on it.
How do you know that he's a "B" player? Executive VP and CFO at United, while a little odd for a sales VP position at Apple, is a pretty impressive credential. He may be put into strictly the financial and planning aspects of sales and inventory management and stuff like that. I'm sure Apple didn't just pluck him out of the blue.