or Connect

Posts by alexkhan2000

It's obvious that Apple can't rely on Intel as a key supplier when its representatives diss Apple's products. After courting Apple for all those years until Apple finally made the transition to Intel, is this how Intel pays Apple back? Cloning the products that Apple has developed and competing with one of its largest and prominent customers?
That's true to a degree but it was the iPhone that defined a new paradigm for smartphones and left RIM behind. Ultimately, RIM and its co-CEO's are to blame for what happened. They just refused to believe that iOS and Android would be a threat and by the time they realized that the likes of Apple and the Droid phone makers are eating their lunch, it was way too late.
Do any of us want to look up what the likes of IDC and Gartner predicted or projected 3 or 5 years ago? We all know that it'd be laughably and woefully wrong. I'm just amazed that companies actually pay IDC and Gartner for their "analysis" of this stuff.
China will be Apple's growth engine for the next 5 years or more. The market potential there is mind-boggling. I've been going to China on a regular basis since '94 and it's still difficult to comprehend a nation of 1.3 billion people. To put that into perspective, that's the equivalent of *two* United States and *all* of Europe combined. And it's getting rich and richer every day. I'm quite certain that Tim Cook will be there on a regular basis in the future. It's...
One thing that often gets overlooked is Apple's operational excellence compared to other areas of the company's discipline like design, engineering, software development and marketing, etc. I work in the supply chain side of things in a completely different kind of industry and go to Asia (mainly China and Korea) 4~5 times per year, so I can appreciate what's involved in working with the suppliers there and coordinating the development, manufacturing and delivery of...
Good going, Apple. Another step closer to world dominance in the post-PC era... There'll be around 150 million iPads out there before MS comes out with the Windows 8 tablets while Android tablets continue getting buried as they stumble out of the starting gate.
If AppleĀ’s profit share of the global cellphone market is around 75% with only 9% market share by units, you gotta think that the profit share in the tablet market is close to 100% considering that Amazon is selling the Kindle Fire at a loss and many other other tablet makers have been blowing out their tablets at a loss as well (HP TouchPad, RIM PlayBook, etc.). Samsung itself has also said that it isn't doing well with the tablets. Apple could afford to absorb the...
Well, none of us have the numbers (online pre-orders vs. units sold at the retail outlets) so it's all speculation on our part. What we do know is that the physical retail stores have 'em in stock while the online pre-orders are now running weeks behind. This thread has a few people unhappy about the delayed deliveries - including an estimated delivery date of April 11 although the iPads were ordered on the announcement date. I can't really blame Apple for this because...
I stopped by the local Apple Store in the morning yesterday and then again in the evening to see how things were going. It was packed as usual and plenty of people were walking out with the new iPad but the Genius Bar still had stacks of 'em waiting to be snatched up. Based on what I'm reading, it seems Apple is a little off in balancing the inventory between the online pre-order and for the retail outlets. It's not quite right when people who preordered a week ago is...
I love the 13" MBA I got last year and, at home, it's mostly hooked up to the 27" Thunderbolt Display. It's great for long business trips but I do yearn for a 15" screen every now and then. A 15" MBA that still weighs only 3 pounds would be the holy grail - for at least a few years.