or Connect

Posts by alexkhan2000

Agreed. I like it much better than the old one although I do believe Apple is still working on something much better for the TV set. This is still very much a work in progress - essentially a long drawn-out beta. But being that I only watch a few movies and documentaries per month, it's all fine with me. Live sports is the only thing I miss but I didn't want to pay for hundreds of channels I would never watch to be able to watch several ballgames per year.
I was thinking the same thing. How do they know what Apple is paying their suppliers when Apple is buying huge quantities and paying cash upfront? That being said, I'd have to agree that the components should definitely cost at least a little more than what they did for the iPad 2 last year.
Checked it out in person at the local Apple Store. Yes, the screen really is beautiful and everything definitely felt spiffier than on my iPad 2. Apple will easily sell 70 million+ of the new iPad this year. That being said, having bought two iPad 2s last year (one for the wife and kids), I'm going to pass on this one and will upgrade next year. But I will be out there telling other family members, relatives, friends, and colleagues who don't have a tablet that it's now a...
I'm sure the new Nokia phones are good. But we haven't been talking about the merits of devices from different phone vendors on this thread. The key for any mobile device vendor is now the ecosystem, which is also what Nokia's CEO Elop emphasized. He believes there's enough room for a third established ecosystem along with iOS and Android but we'll have to see if that becomes true over the next 2~3 years. It just seems to me that Nokia and Microsoft are poorly positioned...
Nokia's revenue has been in a free fall for the past 3~4 years, going from $75 billion in 2007 to something like $56 billion now and falling. Nokia's annual net profits was once $13 billion. Now they're barely at break even and have had some horrendous quarters recently with heavy losses. What's the point of making more and more unprofitable phones (mainly the dumb feature phones) to keep losing money? Windows Phone will be the last hope over the next few years for Nokia...
Okay, if you say so. You're entitled to your opinion like anyone else here.
Samsung is a public company listed on the Korean stock exchange:http://markets.ft.com/Research/Marke...?s=A005930:KSC Market cap of 196.45 trillion won means around $174 billion in US$. BTW, I was referring to annual revenue. Apple still trails Samsung Electronics in this area but should surpass Samsung by the end of this year or early next year. Samsung's revenue for 2010 was $133.8 billion with net profits of $13.7 billion. Apple's TTM revenue is $127.8 billion with net...
The majority of Samsung's phone production is still the "dumb" feature phones. You know, the ones essentially given for free by the carriers. Ditto for Nokia. I believe Nokia still ships more of these than Samsung but both are in the process of focusing on smartphones. The margins are almost non-existent on the feature phones. Samsung needs to get away from producing these phones as new cheaper phones from Chinese makers is gobbling up the low-end.
It seems this is more of a strategic business move to accommodate a shift in display technologies for the future. You notice that this spun-off company will still be called Samsung and be a wholly owned subsidiary of the Samsung Group. To me, it looks like a reorganization move to make the business more nimble and competitive and not be bound under the huge Samsung Electronics umbrella.Samsung has to be worrying about the rise of new electronics giants in China. Samsung...
This is not true. Samsung Electronics makes up the majority of the revenue of the Samsung Group conglomerate. Out of Samsung Group's $220 billion in revenues in 2010, $134 billion was generated by Samsung Electronics. Apple will surpass Samsung Electronics' revenue in the coming year and Samsung Group's revenue in 2014. Samsung Group's other businesses combined aren't half as profitable as the Electronics company.