or Connect

Posts by Mr Beardsley

First, you really know what I do for a living? Interesting that you can know that about me. I guess writing C++ MFC applications for a government contractor means I'm not a developer. Man, you should really tell the company that I work for that I don't really do what they think I do. Second, is cleaning up files and database connections the general case of deallocating most objects? That is more of a special case that can easily be handled even while using GC. My...
Maybe you should read up a little on modern GC. Why would you need to send an object the dealloc message? The only reason those are useful today is to clean up after yourself when freeing up an object. There will be no reason to put anything in the dealloc method once the GC is taking care of it.http://www.iecc.com/gclist/GC-faq.html
What's interesting is that in almost all cases* GC will be faster than Cocoa's retain/release method. I agree that retain/release is about as good as it gets regarding manual memory management, but there is a lot of messaging overhead with that method. When the AutoReleasePool is released, it in turn sends a release message to all the objects it contains. This can add up to a lot of messages depending on the situation. Now with something like a mark and sweep...
I know real developers use assembly because using higher levels of abstraction that make you more productive as a dev just isn't the mac way.
The KPs sound like bad hardware. My first bet would be bad RAM. If you have more than one stick of RAM in the machine try running on 1 at a time to see if you can isolate which stick is causing the problem.
Try doing a "Get Info" on the secondary drive, and select "Ignore Permission on this Drive".
Not much sense is reading the rest of your post, when your first statement is completely false.
Tiger server isn't technically needed, but I would certainly look at purchasing it for what you are about to undertake. I actually think Tiger Server would be a really good choice for your small company. Since you are small the pricing of Tiger Server will beat out Windows Server 2003. Got to love unlimited licenses for only $999! You will have to pay a licensing fee with Windows server (probably per seat) that will most likely run you more than Tiger will...
I think Apple tried to compete in the Java Enterprise, but I don't think they ever made much headway. I would guess that the vast majority of people who deployed WOAs deployed them on Apple servers. If that is the case Apple might as well use their best tech. Part of the appeal of .Net is how you can use one language and framework to write desktop and web apps.I'd just love to have some way of accessin databases from within Cocoa. EOs was too cool, and I hope they have...
My hope is that Apple is letting WebObjects ride off into the sunset to be replaced by additions to Cocoa. WebObjects was cool, but porting it to Java never paid off the way Apple had hoped. It appears that Apple was using Java as a fall back plan on Objective-C. However with the end of Cocoa Java, and now WebObjects being put out to pasture, it seems Apple is firmly commited to Objective-C as its application development language. Also, Objective-C 2.0 shows that Apple...