or Connect

Posts by Mr Beardsley

Actually no it doesn't. Read up some more on Quartz. Quartz is nice and fast at rendering and resizing bitmap images, but not so fast at working with vectors. This is part of what Quartz 2d extreme is supposed to fix. Since Quartz works so well with bitmap images, that is why Apple still uses them for a lot of the widgets in OS X. Here is a thread on Ars that you can read.http://episteme.arstechnica.com/grou...r/997006643731Also here is a post that talks about making...
Quartz doesn't vectorize bitmap images, it is just really good at interpolating. The icons in the dock that Chucker mentioned are actually files that contain the image of the icon at 3 different sizes, one small, one medium, and one large. Quartz can quickly and accurately interpolate between these sizes to show an image that is somewhere in between. This makes it appear that the icon can grow and shrink like a vector. To see this in action, hold down the Option key as...
You have 2 Library folders because one contains preferences and support files for you as a user, and one contains preferences and support files for all users. The Library folder in your user directory contains all the preferences and files that are for you only. Mail items, address book contacts, preferences for your applications, and stored passwords in keychain are just some examples. The other Library folder that you found on your Macintosh HD contains things like...
Melgross don't fret over the lack of discussion reguarding resolution independence. I don't believe that showed up in Steve's WWDC keynote last time around. That was in the Graphics and Media State of the Union presentation. It will be those more focused workshops where the under the hood enhancements are discussed. I for one am very eager to learn more about Objective-C 2. Here's what the blurb on Apple.com had to say:I'm anxious to see how they managed garbage...
I don't know if it is really worth all the effort to strip out the binaries for other platforms. In the end I think it will only save you a couple hundred MB or less. The Binary part of an application is typically pretty small, only being several MBs to a couple 10's of MBs. It's all the resources an app uses that cause it to take up so much space.
I found a quick little walk through that should do exactly what you are wanting. Here
I know you guys probably want to be able to open documents created in ODF, which we'll have to wait and see if Apple adds that to iWork. However, if all you are interested in is having Apple provide a file format that is "open", then have no fear as Apple provides that already. Here is some reading if XML file formats float your boat. iWork File Formats
I'm sure it is GC just like Kickaha mentioned. I also hope that since they killed off future developments for Java Cocoa that they will put more work in to sprucing up Obj-C. GC is a nice first step.
I don't think safari has ever run under Rosetta. When Jobs demoed OS X running on X86 processors, he made note of how fast Safari was on that architecture. I believe you can force Safari to run in Rosetta if you need it to work with PPC only plugins, but by default Safari is Intel native.
When your child runs out into the street, are you going to stop and give them choices? There are times when you need immediate, unquestioning obedience from a child. Spanking can help you achieve that. As others have said, children and situations are different, and spanking is but one tool. Would you try to fix an entire car with only a 13mm box end wrench? Is the 13mm box end wrench really good at what it does in the right context? You bet. Consistency, proper...