or Connect

Posts by Mr Beardsley

If you have ever done any DOD work, you'd understand that they are probably much better off using a commercial OS. I think contracting by its very nature produces a more expensive and lower quality result.
As someone who has to use Windows at work, I'm glad that it is improving. Competition is a good thing. Diehard Windows users should appreciate that even if they don't like Apple or its products, the competition has been good for the industry as a whole. The taskbar in Win 7 is much closer in functionality to the dock in OS X, so that will be nice. I am wondering though when Microsoft will ever get around to figuring out how to let Windows be installed on, and boot from...
So question, how do I as a developer start writing an application that uses the new stuff in OpenGL 3+ when I can't get an implementation of it under OS X? Look at what you just wrote, there needs to be the support in the operating system for devs to start work using the new features. Marvin is exactly right that Apple needs to get in gear and start moving to the more recent specs. It is somewhat sad that new OpenGL 3 drivers were released almost immediately for Windows...
This is the payoff for having a well designed system that was built for multiple users from the start. Having all your settings stored in your home folder as opposed to a global registry makes moving a breeze.
Unfortunately the writing has been on the wall for WO for quite a while now. It was unfortunate that Apple moved it off of Obj-C and over onto Java. WO had an absolutely great architecture, and had extremely powerful set of tools. EOF was the forerunner to today's CoreData, and did an awesome job of abstracting away whatever database solution you were using. I hope that with the renewed interest in Objective-C and cocoa due to iPhone development we will see Cocoa...
You're not understanding. The scaling is done in Quartz. The Quartz Debug application just gives developers the ability to tell Quartz which scaling factor to use. App writers don't need to use an API, just test their UIs with various scaling factors.
I imagine folks should expect a free Windows version of Xcode about the same time free Visual Studio comes to the Mac. I wonder why we don't hear about Mac developers clamoring for Visual Studio on the Mac so they can develop for windows mobile?
It's nice to see Khrono's getting 3.1 done so quickly. I think that goes a long ways towards removing the feeling that OpenGL was dying. I wonder when we can reasonably expect to actually see this available in OS X though? It would be nice if we had access to the 3.1 drivers on day one like Windows and Linux.
I like the new direction it seems Apple is choosing for it's UIs. Here is a great blog post by a cocoa developer discussing "Administrative Debris". Static buttons and playheads just sit there as debris to the interface. You can see how Apple's approach to minimizing this in several areas. In iMovie you can just scrub through a clip just by dragging your mouse horizontally across it. In iPhoto you can flip through a stack of photos again by dragging your mouse...
I don't see this as much a ploy to get people updated to Leopard, as it is a way of allowing their app developers use the latest and greatest Leopard toys. The new versions of these app packages require Leopard, but if anyone complains about that fact they can just get the box set and no more reason to complain. I'd love to see Apple offer new versions of Final Cut and Logic Studio written solely for 10.6 taking full advantage of 64 bit, OpenCL, and Grand Central with...