or Connect

Posts by Flaneur

You missed the point.
Well said. Tim Cook has stated that he wants to develop US manufacturing, but common sense would tell us that it's going to be a supply-chain driven effort, as well as custom and contained, like the Mac Pro. And the one very large reason for doing a car by Apple might just be that made in USA angle, where there IS a well-developed manufacturing ecosystem.
I don't know the doc you're referring to, i'm going by memory of watching the process happen since the 50s. Fatalism is bullshit. Prescriptions of copying geopolitical-technical revolutions is infantilism. Apple is doing just fine designing one knowledge-industry revolution after another. Their global supply-chain and sales machine is itself a new industrial revolution, it's American-derived and directed, but you are too blinded by sentimental liberalism and...
Deng Xiao-Peng made it a priority for Terry Guo in the 1980s.The US could start on a ten-year plan to develop the next generation of electronic technology, probably already are with nonotech to some extent, but it probably needs to be a massive or visionary gov't backed effort, like it was in aerospace, or DARPA. Not a thing we can get done until the anti-scientists among us die off or are neutered by shame.But expecting Apple to move a continent's ecosystem of...
Still wriggling on the hook . . .Except for Intel, there isn't much manufacturing going on there in mass consumer manufacturing. Or industrial, as in servers, etc. All that went across the Pacific.The founding of the Valley was based on large-scale integrated circuits on doped silicon, a product made possible not only by Bell Labs with its invention of the transistor, but by their development of mass manufacture (with Western Electric) of autoclaved artificial quartz...
I can see you've put a lot of work into this cause, and you're going to parasitize any progressive news that Apple generates by itself.You can't expect to be taken seriously at all until you acknowledget a problem you are currently waving your hands in front of, hoping no one will notice. That is, the deep, far-flung throughout Asia ecosystem of electronics R&D, manufacturing, logistics and assembly.The US has a lead in intellectual capital, as I've said before, and that...
So Apple and Tim Cook are lying, according to you. And they should "bring those jobs back" to the US, according to you. And Tom Cook should be joining or leading "marches of support" for the exploited Asian workers, according to you.Where do you think the marches should take place? In the US? In China? Since you called Suddenly Newton naive, I think you owe us a realistic answer to the question. Where do you want these marches? And an answer to the question, where do you...
Your little manufactured quarrel with Tim Cook, which is the same as Fiorina's, is hilarious in its simple-mindedness.Civic or business leaders have an obligation to speak out for justice within their home countries when the time is right for change.They are prohibited by ages of civilized custom from sticking their noses into the moral affairs of other countries, even if they do business or conduct other affairs with the other country.How can you possibly confuse these...
I know exactly what you mean, and since you're in Atlanta, it must cut very deeply to see Apple treating the whole US as one entity, when obviously there should be one policy for the enlightened regions and another policy for the South, where medievalism still hangs heavy like a cloud of sulphur from rotting kudzu. /sBut I have to give Tim Cook the benefit of doubt since he grew up in the South, saw cross-burning first-hand, experienced the hostility toward enlightenment...
Good, then you agree with my view, which is incidentally the view of Tim Cook and every futurist who has ever confronted the evolution of technological and cultural shifts on a global, tectonic level. The US has passed into a post-industrial phase, as far as its leading-edge economy is concerned. Its most valuable product is knowledge, design, methods of integration, any kind of creative "software." This is why and how the R&D and basic research is still advanced in the...