or Connect

Posts by Flaneur

And that's a classic reductio ad absurdum if I ever saw one.The story will probably come out someday, and it will be very easy to tell what he thought about this.
Actually what changed was Apple's ability to source 75 million Low Temperature Poly Silicon screens per quarter, 25 million or so at a novel pixel density of 401 ppi. As the shortages have shown, this was barely possible even in recent months. We can only imagine how they had to lean on display suppliers to expand their capacity, but we did have some supply-chain reporting 2 years ago that Apple was using up 3/4 of the world's production of LTPS displays while straining to...
Agreed, and ironically I think the source of their recent problems with stability among the platforms is a direct result of the fact that they're working on it. Never have they tried to connect so many devices and platforms in so many ways for so many users with so much data of so many different types. It is no wonder to me that Bluetooth interferes with WiFi or iCloud messes with your purchased vs. homemade recordings, or whatever. It's a mare's nest they're dealing with,...
Very funny.Oh, wait, maybe not so funny.
You missed the point. It's about manners. It's rude to make a cross-cultural joke about names or other words in another language, when you know a speaker of the other language is going to have to process your verbal fart. There's no way he is going to think it's funny, especially if he's of the underdog culture. Chances are he's going to be hurt and offended.Wang is funny to 13-year-old English speakers. By the time you're a gentleman of the world, you should have put away...
Context is everything. Your examples are probably not from Chinese sites making fun of American names with sexual-anatomy overtones, and even if they were, there is the asymmetry question—the overdog isn't funny making fun of the underdog, it's the other way around. So says any ethnic comedian.The simplest way of looking at it is that the offending posters are being rude to Chinese readers of this site, and it's out of ignorance borne of cultural supremacist narcissism, or...
You are absolutely right, the self-absorbed, isolationist ignorance of Americans is often on display here on AI. Making stupid jokes about Wang's family name (a common one which means "prince" I believe), is disgraceful and rude, and generally the kind of thing that happens when a subject like this comes up.Americans suffer from being monolingual, ignorant of geography, isolated between two oceans, and they are hiding from their own history as destroyers of a native...
Yeah, I think you meant the 6S. That would be me, eligible for upgrade this September.
I wish you were right, that they do get it, but I don't think so. These left-brained numbers guys, PC and Microsoft damaged, still think Apple buyers are brand-obsessed sheep. Numbers guys don't feel the care put into the products. They are numb to it.Intro line on "Marketplace" today said something like, "the faithful came to worship at the chapel of Apple" last quarter, or some such tripe.Still, your point that they are playing the system for their gain is just that much...
Don't know about this pessimistic view, but I do know that in general Chinese people will be as good or better than anyone at spotting cheap knockoffs. Immensely detail-oriented people at near-microscopic levels, which is why they appreciate the build quality of iPhones, not to mention the fact that they make them that way in their own factories. Pride must enter in.However, they don't have the background in individualism that underlies Western concepts of intellectual...