or Connect

Posts by Flaneur

Don't know about this pessimistic view, but I do know that in general Chinese people will be as good or better than anyone at spotting cheap knockoffs. Immensely detail-oriented people at near-microscopic levels, which is why they appreciate the build quality of iPhones, not to mention the fact that they make them that way in their own factories. Pride must enter in.However, they don't have the background in individualism that underlies Western concepts of intellectual...
Exactly, because the perception of prestige brand is paramount in China, where they really care about the difference.
Yes, finally, after a near eternity of seven long months! /sShe started last May, seeming to pay much attention to China in particular. Here's a sample story from Mark Gurman, linked to by PhilBoogie in another thread:http://************/2015/01/26/angela-ahrendts-recruiting-us-employees-china-stores-initiatives-revealed/#more-362758Edit: Oops, I forgot, no 9to5 links allowed. Insert that plus mac.com for the asterisks if you're interested in how she's approaching the...
Good point, nicely stated. From this distance, it looks like a brilliant strategy. I wonder how it plays to the intended audience.More evidence that the Ahrendts era is underway? It seems there's a lot of artfulness behind this.
Fred Wilson is one of those PC/MicroSoftened types who does not get Apple's design sense, neither hardware nor software. Gruber sums him up here:http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/05/05/wilson
So the new Apple retail under Angela Ahrendts is going to open four more stores in China in the next three weeks? Maybe not such showcases as this, but still . . . Anyway, what a stroke of genius to get Wang involved, with his calligraphy and the perfect classical poem. He's a great-looking Bohemian if I ever saw one, an old-school Apple user from Central Casting. This is going to sell a lot of Apple stuff, and maybe even make some cultural waves as well.
Appears like Relix doesn't own the original Gram Parsons/Chris Hillman "Sin City," which was on the album The Gilded Palace of Sin, A&M Music. What Relix owns seems to be a live version of a later Burrito group. The original song was a real work of comic-apocalyptic literature, sort of in the vein of Day of the Locust or The Loved One. A real LA genre, in other words.
Thanks. Disappointing, though. It was a great song for its time, maybe one of the reasons I ended up In LA. Gram Parsons was a huge loss.
What's the play count of "Sin City," by the Flying Burrito Brothers, out of curiosity?
I know what you mean, the poseur factor being pretty strong in America, but consider that it's a good outdoor hat for artists, coming as it does from Basque shepherds, not only for warmth but because you can pull the edge in any direction to shade the eyes. So it's good for working under indoor lighting as well.This all gets more important as you get older and your eyes are more burnt out by contrast. The main problems with berets are the assumptions people make about you...