or Connect

Posts by Flaneur

Correct, pick away. I just meant to point out that Chan begat Zen, and that the art of both is beautifully and simply unlike what people are thinking of when they generalize about Chinese "taste." Most are familiar with Zen art, but not the Chinese parent.Thanks for pointing out to us that the root word is "dhyana," which I imagine begins with a "j" sound. Thus Chan, then Zen.
I thought so too once, but later saw it as "color."
Why are you assuming the 5C was designed for the Chinese market?
Interesting slant on Nixon's trip to China in the new bio "One Man Against the World," by Tim Weiner. The purpose of the trip was to try to talk Mao into pressuring the North Vietnamese into a peace deal. Nixon failed, Kissinger too I supposeā€”haven't read the book yet.The idea that only a conservative could have gotten away with making a US deal with China may be correct, but it's based on a false notion that Nixon and Kissinger knew what they were doing. From beginning...
China is the birthplace of Zen, and Taoist art besides.In the 19th century, American industrial design was already known for exactly the two adjectives you use. Remember tail fins in the 50s, potato cars in the late 40s. It's lasted to the present. Have you checked out Escalades lately?
"China isn't known for [good taste]." Neither is, or was, America.On the other hand, there's a tradition of attention to detail in Chinese art that goes back thousands of years. Some of it is quite tasty.I don't recall any chrome on any Apple watch. Polished stainless maybe?
"Panders"? The mini-quandary referred to in your post can be solved if you consider that Chinese tastes in objects like phones and computers can be world-class, and of great appeal to non-Chinese markets.
To be fair, we have to allow for the quarter-century lag in perception that afflicts conservative viewpoints. For example, it was around 1990 that Deng Xiaoping was ditching the old Red Star regalia ("ChiCom Red") in favor of "modernization" of China. But history is like science: annoying detail in the way of ideology.
Very doubtful. The 5C was based on an understanding of the world youth market. Seems to have worked well enough.
Ooo look, our most ethical commenter has found a new duplicitous trick to suspect Apple of. Thank God he has the sinister imagination to bust the company, no matter what ruse they come up with to sell Watches. /s