or Connect

Posts by Flaneur

The authorities would support your point of view. But I think any 21-year-old who thinks he's ready to start a race war OR a war of liberation is a kid.
There's an interesting thing that black social thinkers are always trying to explain to whites who make an equivalency argument like yours here. Here's a rough outline of the dynamics, best as I can do quickly, working without much familiarity with the vocabulary of class/ethnic struggle.Dylann Roof represents a member of the oppressor class, in fact the more retrograde element, which wants to retighten the screws that hold down the oppressed group, in fact to turn back...
First, who you calling racist, redneck? /jkI think gun fetishists and Rebel flag fetishists would like to bury those images because they disgrace their fetishes. They give the excuse that they don't want to feed the kid's desire for notoriety. (You think he reads AI?) I included them because I know damn well that some of the people who are quibbling over this flag thing aren't putting two and two together.The flag, along with the Rhodesian and South African patches on his...
What, you think he's going to be reading AI? You think he's going to inspire copycats, and these pictures are going to cause that? Then I guess you're in favor of not publishing images of the flag in a provocative way. Correct?
No, we're starting to get just a little bit wiser about the power of symbols over the human mind, especially the emotional part of the mind. "Fascism" gets its name from the symbol of the fascii carried by Roman troops, adopted by Mussolini. Germans banned the Nazi swastika after the war, they got so wise to the power of symbols. Destructive power, that is.History just got changed under your nose by Dylann Roof. You have to adjust your view of the flag's history, quick,...
Not to pick on you, but your post will do as an example of how . . . differently you're seeing this from people who are responsible for millions of customers, shareholders or citizens of states.The kid killed nine people under the banner of that battle flag, which has now instantly culminated its sorry history into the fascist-like symbol of a call for real race war. Responsible, mature heads of corporations decided overnight that the symbol had to go under these new...
The point is that it has recently become triple-tainted by white supremacists. No research necessary beyond looking at those pictures Dylann Roof got of himself with his flag and his .45.
mstone's point is that the flag isn't used in a historical context in the games in question. True or not true?
Any person who has evolved sufficiently beyond his origins will seem insane to those he leaves behind.In other words, there are probably more than a few people in Alabama who would agree with you.At least there are a lot of people in California who would agree with Tim Cook, leaving aside Orange County, Simi Valley, and places like that.
Which illustrates the problem of censorship in general, correctly, same with eliminating games with guns and violence.But I think the reason for the flag ban should be kept front and center. The kid who convinced himself or was convinced to kill nine black people wrapped himself mentally in that flag, and that flag was on license plates and at state houses throughout the south. It became a symbol like the lynching noose.Apple's business has become more and more clearly...