or Connect

Posts by Flaneur

Driving around in a Fiat damaged the ego, very funny. Really. Might as well throw in the VW bug, which captured ~10% of the US market in the 60s, and major share around the world to become the best selling car ever.No, I lived through the change in the 50s and 60s when Plymouth dropped the lovable, lumpen Cranbrook and came out with the Fury. DeSoto brought the Firedome out, we got the Barracuda, the Marlin, the Sting Ray.It all had more to do with selling Space Age...
Beautiful car. As in humane and charming, something that's completely missing from the design language these days.Where did I see, just yesterday I think, that Steve Jobs felt that the Segway scooter lacked "anthropomorphic" design.Interesting word to use. I know what he means. It had surfaces and angles that are alienating to the senses, none that are attracting. Most car designs now express aggression, penetration, predation, unreasonable speed, and so on, all...
Geez, Marvin, you're coming in on the wrong runway here, I think.The Fiat is a fairly popular car here in LA, despite its compromises as a road machine. The reason? Because it has charm, a quality almost totally lacking in the automotive field for many years, since the 70s actually.The two other cars you cite as favorable examples not only lack charm, they embody aggression in a screamingly obvious way that I feel Apple would shun.Your last point about the double bluff I...
Sleazy article, and it ill represents you in this forum. Did you miss the next to last paragraph out of carelessness or a desire to keep the truth filtered out?
Thanks for posting this. Engelbart was maybe THE most important founder of the augmented-intelligence slant on computer development, as opposed to the artificial-intelligence slant. This according to John Markoff in his introduction to What the Dormouse Said, my favorite history of a technology of all time. It was stories from Engelbart and his friends that inspired Markoff to write the book as a countercultural history.Steve Jobs was clearly in the augmented-intelligence...
Apple has always been a transportation company: bicycles for the mind. : )The car and the computer merged in 1968 (N.B.!) with the first electronic fuel injection system, based on Bendix patents, redone by Bosch, and introduced on the US versions of the VW Squareback and Fastback, later used by Volvo, Datsun, Mercedes, etc.it was analog, using transistor-transistor logic, but still it was the first electronic engine management for emissions control. More power and fuel...
Yep, I believe the bug was designed for 100 kph, or 60 mph. Add radials and good shocks and you could be good for maybe another 10 mph on dry pavement, but with the original skinny bias plys they were very squirrely at any speed. Thank God for Michelin, we used to say back in the 70s.Aquaplaning I did discover a couple of times in my youth, even with my heavier notchback with lots of tools in the front. I just learned to slow down. They should come with warning labels, and...
Nice. Here's how the front can look when you have an air-cooled engine in the back—or an electric motor.Circa 1965 VW Type 3 1500 Sedan, "Notchback."
I saw they travel around giving test drive events by appointment. Do they also take you out from the Santa Monica Blvd. showroom? What's been your experience with them, in other words?
Having thought about it a bit more, and after listening to Gruber's podcast with Matthew Panzarino—both smart guys who also don't get it—i'm even more convinced that Apple did not want to pull the curtain on the wizardry behind the gold watch in front of that audience and the peanut gallery watching in their basements around the world.They know better than to cast their pearls before journalist swine. Look what the barbarians are saying already. See the Economist article...