or Connect

Posts by Flaneur

That's not obvious from anything I've seen, especially since he seems to be tight with the older guard, which does not suffer fools easily. (Shark = foolish predator.)Do you have a link or two to back that up?
Sorry kids, you don't get to use "Death of a President" as a precedent. It doesn't humiliate the Prez, nor make fun of the tight-assed, lying secrecy state that the US became after a certain incident in New York. As far as I know, that is, since I haven't/won't watch the movie. (Not a fan of assassination movies, having lived through three real ones myself, four if you include Lennon, about which I have suspicions. We're still living under the consequences of the first...
That, and notice the quaint use of "overseas."I thought NolaMacGuy was more caught-up with history than this. Nobody reads anymore, and even if they do, they don't read McLuhan, it seems.Big news, we live in a global village, or we're all crew on spaceship Earth, if you prefer. There is no overseas anymore. If North Korea lashes out, we'd be lucky to avoid WW III.Rogen, Goldberg, Sterling and Sony Pictures are playing with fire.
I'll take your word for it that these are movies that advocate (that's the correct word, by the way) or "feature" (weasel word) the assassination of an actual contemporary fascist (i.e., dangerous, autocratic unpredictable) state leader. I'm not going to rummage through the rubbish to find out if you got it right.No it doesn't have to be a comedy, but I suspect that a culture like North Korea that never developed Western-style individualism, instead is still in an...
From the wooden perspective of "principle," the quality of the content doesn't matter, you are correct.I'm talking about something larger than unreflective free-speech yahooism, which is where maybe 8 out of 10 internet know-it-alls are getting their righteous indignation.Apple may have tons of lowbrow material on iTunes, but it doesn't have a single "comedy" about the assassination of an actual fascist dictator—of, it should be mentioned, a malnourished, isolated,...
So what? If iOS users want to go summing for lowbrow adolescent assassination comedy with bad geopolitical juju, they should have to go to Google or YouTube. I'm not suggesting anything about Apple's motives, just pointing out the poetic justice that results.Gruber, by the way, seems to have lost his edge, and he has a position similar to your comment. Too much alcohol? He's also back into his James Bond thing.
Right on Rogifan!
I would argue that it's not satire we're seeing here, but ignorant incendiary blowhard speech. The stampede you refer to may take months or years to unfold, or nothing at all may happen. Doesn't matter when thousands or millions of lives and an already shaky world are at risk. I wouldn't defend their right to show this movie, and would rather say it serves them right if it's suppressed.Something handled intelligently like Chaplin's The Great Dictator is another story. It...
Yes, and I would be interested to know how some intelligent South Koreans are viewing this fiasco.
Well said, and a better subject of satire. Two loser screenwriters at a Starbucks in Studio City finally get over their poseur envy and start swapping ideas . . . .