or Connect

Posts by Flaneur

I never trust anybody who starts with "Trust me." Just like 25 years ago, I stopped listening when someone said,"Let me be honest with you." Glad that one died out. Wish "trust me" would.
Those business ads, no matter how self serving, did a lot of good by shaming the racist diehards and laying out a better ideal for equal treatment for nonwhite Americans.At the same time, the US was killing hundreds of thousands, poisoning the environment, and land-mining the trails and fields in Viet Nam, Laos and Cambodia.If you had been in the US at the time, would you have been saying we should not be marching for civil rights for blacks, and that IBM and a hundred...
That's more like it. Although the stance taken by Tim Cook is the first hopeful sign I've seen in 60 years of watching this paranoid government work. (I remember the McCarthy and HUAC hearings, the instant suspiciousness of the Kennedy assassination, the overthrow of Allende, that sort of thing.)The basic right to privacy is something we have not had to debate in a meaningful way until now, when our entire mental life is contained in a little slab in our pocket. Cook is...
Foolish quacking. All presidents serve under the mandates of the intelligence and thought police apparatus that never changes from one administration to the next. Just ask Jack Kennedy. It will be as bad or worse under the next, just as it was worse under the previous.
The value of equality for everyone underlies all other values, social and political. If one doesn't share that view, it's like living with the one percent.If you don't think that gays and other gender-blended people deserve equality, you have a moral problem, like several do in this thread. It is your problem, not ours.A company taking a public stand on the leading edge of social consciousness is nothing new. In the 70s many companies made a big deal in their advertising...
"Fan-boys" — they probably have young English majors (in yoga pants) for copy editors, using out-of-date style manuals. Check out that hypebeast video. Lotta yoga pants.Unprofessional — the editing of the ads is ragged and messy, but that's what passes for "edgy" these days. And they throw in wall to wall zingers. Same thing. I really don't know how they live with themselves.On second thought, I know. It's the yoga pants.
Yes, but not to confuse the actors in the Samsung ads with real jerks, just like the Apple fans in the ads are not real jerks. (Click on the image to read the text.)The real jerks are the ones who make the ads like the first one above. Samsung's agency is 72andSunny, in LA, near Venice. The brilliant wannabe hipsters behind "the campaign that challenged blind allegiance to Apple's inferior products."https://www.72andsunny.com/work/samsung/fan-boysHere's a video about the...
You missed the point.
Well said. Tim Cook has stated that he wants to develop US manufacturing, but common sense would tell us that it's going to be a supply-chain driven effort, as well as custom and contained, like the Mac Pro. And the one very large reason for doing a car by Apple might just be that made in USA angle, where there IS a well-developed manufacturing ecosystem.
I don't know the doc you're referring to, i'm going by memory of watching the process happen since the 50s. Fatalism is bullshit. Prescriptions of copying geopolitical-technical revolutions is infantilism. Apple is doing just fine designing one knowledge-industry revolution after another. Their global supply-chain and sales machine is itself a new industrial revolution, it's American-derived and directed, but you are too blinded by sentimental liberalism and...