or Connect

Posts by Flaneur

Amazon did serious damage to Apple and the entire industry by pricing their tablets at near cost, as did Google. They gave new ammunition to haters and anti-aesthetes who say that Apple is overpriced and fueled by greed. It didn't help that their tablets seem to have better displays than Apple's.
"We have all become Macbeth." —Speak for yourself. These (in the play) are the words of a man who overstepped the natural bonds of his people by killing their good leader, usurping his crown, all because of ambition and listening to his even more ambitious wife. He is desperate, tortured with guilt, trapped, and his soliloquy is a denial of Time in all its aspects: present, past and future, and then denial of life itself.Is that you? Certainly isn't me. Sorry, this is one...
If you think of it as a nano iPad, like layng does above here, it will sell on the strength of being the world's cutest and most desirable tablet. Like with the iPad mini, which many didn't see the use-case for, it may become a best-seller for a time, especially if they bump up the pixel density, which I expect them to do.I'm sure they've also done some market research in other countries,China for example, and they may see a market case for a betweener tablet that matters...
Well, it was a cargo plane for space station parts, a satellite launcher, with a crew capacity for fixing stuff like the Station and the Hubble. They worked the platform, in other words.It's true the boosters needed were a problem in the case of both disasters. Were the trade-offs worth it? I'd say ask the veteran crew members. We simple observers don't have much to form an opinion on.Do you have a link handy on that moon-orbit asteroid plan?
Apple, or Tim Cook, never said there is no need for larger screen phones. He said they could not do a larger screen without making unacceptable tradeoffs. That was about two years ago. At that time, there was not enough LTPS screen manufacturing to supply Apple, nor was there the A7 or A8 that they're going to need for the higher density screens they will be presumably coming out with.In the meantime, he pointed out the obvious advantage of the current sizes—perfect for...
The poor junkyard dogs at MacRumors couldn't get past those white bands. Only one poster, shinyafro, took notice of the difference in the surface of the new part.
Another little difference: the inserts in the new part are some kind of yellow metal, compared the the grey metal inserts in the older part. Suggesting new requirements in metal compatabilities.
Where is the 5" or larger phone that has a decent operating system, a decent power-efficient processor, a decent ecosystem, a physically beautiful body, and so on?Apple doesn't crank half-baked stuff out like nearly all the other companies, which are fast and technically competent, by the way, but not deliberate and perfectionist like Apple is in general. The larger Apple phones have been waiting for processor evolution and for display production expansion. Just wait. You...
Thanks. So the more I look at this new "iP6" part, the more it looks cast, not stamped.I'm sure that would be obvious to anyone familiar with type of stuff, but at first I thought no way do you cast anything this thin with normal metal, and have it come out this clean. But then on the other hand it's too thick around the screw inserts to be stamped. So a new molding process and a new metal alloy is an attractive explanation.Too soon to break out the cigars, but still . . .
It looks like the screw bosses have threaded inserts pressed into them. Internally threaded, that is. Is that a new thing? Do the aluminum cases also use inserts?