or Connect

Posts by jkichline

Apple and IBM to Google and Samsung, "Hey, shut up kids, the grownups are talking over here".
Facebook, CNN, Hulu and others... take note. It's 2014. It's time to drop Flash like a bad habit.
Meanwhile in Googleland – KitKat can't even hit 11% penetration...   While Android fans may think it's funny that Apple fans mock them on this number, it's not a superiority complex... it's a very real problem for developers. Why would I build the next best, cutting edge app if only 5-10% of the population can run it? Economically that doesn't make sense. Developers are then forced to code for the lowest common denominator which means less elegant code, more time testing...
And now we know why the Chinese State Media was coming down on Apple...
IDC statistics. Ignored.
That's why I don't install Flash in Safari and just have to switch over to Chrome for websites stuck in the last century (ahem, CNN and Facebook)
Hey Corning... tell me again how fragile Sapphire Crystal is...
As an app developer, this pretty much sucks because it would allow people to download the app and then get a refund. Currently Apple allows you to keep the app but not update. This would need to be changed to force removal of the app and all your data as well. Otherwise developers get short-changed.
That's probably not completely fair to developers since complex apps that allow documents to be imported can cause the crash, not the fault of the app per se. Any amount of testing cannot rule out every possible scenario that users through at something without exponential amounts of testing.  Apple would need to lift the limits on beta devices to allow more testers and the cost of apps would go up to pay for perfection.
You see, there's this thing with phones. If you don't use them, they actually last a long time. It's called standby time. The thing is... iPhone users actually use their devices for much more than a phone and actually enjoy them. There's actual apps and really good games that allow your device to basically supplant a laptop. So if you see an iPhone user charging their phone, it's because it's actually being used instead of sitting in a drawer or pocket waiting for a phone...