or Connect

Posts by SSquirrel

Is that why Sprint's crappy 3G is giving me perfectly smooth streaming video?  Go Apple!  I was expecting it to be a terrible slideshow on my phone today.  That theater is beautiful.  So much for relying on the Engadget liveblog like I usually do
    Dimensions for a 7" 16:9 and a 7.85" 4:3 screen. 16:9 7" - 6.10 * 3.43 = 20.923 sq in 4:3 7.85" - 6.28 * 4.71 = 29.5788 sq in   41.37% increase   Over 40% more surface area.  Even if Steve meant exactly what he said, his opinion of 7" widescreen being a poor choice would not be relevant against something that had 40%+ more screen real estate.  I've pointed this out on several threads about this topic.
  However, Paul Ryan's budget earmarks 33% LESS money for education.  OOPS!    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/12/what-paul-ryans-budget-actually-cuts-and-by-how-much/   Not to mention everything else it would cut:   http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/29/everything-you-know-about-paul-ryans-budget-is-probably-wrong/
  No.  1 size (8GB), 2 colors and 3 connectivity would be 6.  1*2*3 is how you do the math to figure number of specs.  So 6 new options added to the 18 old, woudl be 24.   2 colors * 4 storage sizes * 3 connectivity choices = 24   Alternately, it could be 1 storage size and 8 colors or 4 colors and 2 storage sizes, plus 3 connectivity choices :)
I still think simple was the better take for the iPad Mini.  Wi-Fi only, 16GB, decent cameras.  Maybe have a 32GB option and some colors besides Black and White.  That's it.  Once you start adding other things, you end up w/24 versions of the same product, which is just nuts.         You are forgetting that the iPad 3 got bigger b/c it needed more battery to back the lighting needed for Retina.  It's possible they could get away w/not needing that 2nd strip in the smaller...
  The iPad 2 is the younger brother to the New iPad.  The iPad Mini will be taking what everyone loved about the iPad 2, shrinking it down more, making it even lighter and thinner and selling it for even cheaper.  It isn't supposed to be the top of the line product again.  Look at the iPhone vs iPod Touch.  The Touch has an older processor, the Mini will have an older resolution.  I see many similarities and it won't be backsliding, it will be making a product to suit a...
  1) The iPad 3 vs iPad 2 weight: 8.68% or 0.115 lbs or 1.84oz heavier.  Since when is that "significantly" for something the size of a hardback book?    2) Who was widely expecting that?  I don't recall any serious talk of that from anyone reliable.  Was this some Digitimes claim?  There was never ANY chance of Apple completely revamping the iPad 3 months after its launch and anyone who said that has a bridge to sell you   3)Actually I use my iPad around the house in...
  B/c they won't have to keep a 3rd version of the full size ipad around w/the Mini already in that price point. :)  The iPad won't follow the exact model the iPhone follows b/c we don't have contracts w/the iPad and no subsidies.  iPad 3 $499.  iPd 2 $399. iPad Mini/iPod Touch $299.  I actually see a lot less need for the 2 in that scenario given that you get less storage and the only boost will be the bigger screen.  I don't think that trade is worth $100, but they will...
  Apple is not going to shift their entire iPad launch pattern to the fall.  The iPad Mini will come in a 1 size fits all wi-fi model w/1 storage amount.  They won't revamp the current iPad or kill the 2 off.  They MIGHT change the current iPad to the Lightning connector and point out they're doing that for consistency and to go ahead and get off the old one and I could see that.  If there has been a process shrink for the chip they use in teh iPad 3, maybe a shrunk...
  I agree w/most of your post in general, but especially this bit.  $299 (MAYBE $249, but I doubt it), 1024x768, 16GB, Wi-Fi only.  If you need LTE, go bigger.  You also describe my family pretty well.  My wife has an original iPad and a Macbook Air 13".  I have a Mid-2011 Mini and the New iPad (both iPads are Wi-Fi only).  We both have the 4S and we own an Apple TV.  I don't see us getting an iPad Mini now.  Maybe in a couple of years if one of our other iPads craps out...