or Connect

Posts by kevt

Apple need to get their new versions to market, especially the iPad mini 2. Fantastic device, but it's a year old now, and the Android tablets, despite their shortcomings, show it up on screen resolution. Hopefully it won't be long - a retina iPad Mini and discounts on the current version would be a strong line-up going into the pre-Christmas season.
 Yet it looks like being a short and sweet one. Supposedly TSMC will make the A8 chip 2014, but Apple will go back to Samsung for the A9 in 2015. At least according to the Korea Economic Daily (July 15) 
 All these companies make plastic phones. They all lose money. Therefore Apple should never make a plastic phone. Well, using your brain. Apple has risked its premium brand name by selling a plastic phone, that (whilst good by plastic phone standards) is a clear step down in quality from the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5. They're taking the risk already, but for the sake of increased profit margins, not for competitiveness in price sensitive markets.
 Apple will never do dirt cheap, we're talking middle ground, where there are profits - not least for a company like Apple who can recycle previous technology, minimising development costs. No-one need debate whether Apple should make a cheaper iPhone. They have done. The 5c. Those who've got their hands on it say it's decent quality compared with some other plastic phones. And, yes, it runs the best mobile OS yet. It's a terrific plastic smartphone. But none-the-less a...
I tried QuickOffice before Google got it's hands on it. I much preferred Office2 from Byte2 - much better interface and it works well with Dropbox. Would prefer to use iWork/iCloud - will probably switch if Apple updates things so that iOS & Mac versions use the same file format.
 You're comparing it with last year's flagship model!  The 5 on which it is based is now last year's technology. It has been superseded. The right comparison, is with last year's 'previous model'.  The 5C is exactly the same price, despite the savings plastic affords.
 See above. I don't doubt for a moment that Apple have done a quality job with the plastic. But it still plastic, and much cheaper to make. I liked the feel of my iPhone 3GS - in some ways the rounded edges made it nicer in the hand. But it doesn't have the same quality as the glass and aluminium finish of subsequent iPhones. I am not denying it's a very good phone. Only that having made it plastic and  cheaper to manufacturer, Apple is charging exactly what it has always...
Learn to read I didn't call it cheap. I called it cheaper, in referring to manucfacting. Why don't you pick up a 5C in one hand, a 5S. And tell me? Which do you think cost most to manufacture, and which is higher quality? 
 The point is Apple has gone for cheaper in terms of casing - but that's not reflected in the price. How many times have posters on this board dismissed Android or Windows phones as being 'cheap plastic crap'? A U-turn as far as plastic goes. Now the iPhone 5c brings the worst of both worlds. Plastic casing ...  but ... same premium prices. Exactly the same prices they've always charged for last year's technology.  Nobody is expecting any Apple product to be dirt cheap,...
 What's your problem with my post? It's like you're replying to a post I didn't make. I specifically state that I recognise that BOM, aren't the only costs. The main point made was that the biggest cost cited in the post I was replying to was iOS development. And that is a fixed cost regardless of how many iPhones (and other iOS devices) Apple sell. Thus going for high sales maximises efficiency: that particular cost becomes less per phone. Of course reseller markup has to...