or Connect

Posts by kevt

If typing was the only consideration, I'd prefer a physical keyboard. But it isn't, and I could never go back to one because of the loss of screen space, or design compromises with slide out ones.   Well done Blackberry in offering choice: keyboard or full-touch screen. Whereas I don't think Apple needs to provide this option with the iPhone (as it does not have an existing user base sold on keyboards the way Blackberry does), I do hope Apple will offer more choice...
Some of the Apple products I have owned:-   Classic, LC II, Colour Classics (with Mods to PowerPC), LC475, Performa 6320, 5400, 5500, iMac G3 (for my kids) and Mac Mini    PowerBooks 100, Powerbook Duo 270, 2300c, PowerBook 2400c (had to import it), PowerBook G4 12", MacBook 13", MacBook Air 13", MacBook Air 11" (3 in our house now)   iPod, iPod Mini, iPod Nano, iPod Nano (fatboy)   Tablets: Newton 2000, Newton 2100, Original iPad, iPad Mini   Phones...
Not interested. I'm not into this search for the next device type - watch, glasses, whatever. What I liked about my first iPhone was that I could do with 1 device what I'd previously used 3 for - palm pda, phone, iPod. I don't want another thing, just further refinement of what I do use.
  Because maybe next time they'll go for something at a lower price point from someone else if Apple doesn't. A well rehearsed Apple philosophy - not being afraid to cannibalise your own sales - it's better than having competitors doing it.   Because if they do those who have less money to spend on phones would then consider an iPhone who otherwise wouldn't.   Because growing the user base secures profits down the line through iTunes media and App Store sales.   Because a...
  Fair point. And good to see Apple has addressed this ... in Mountain Lion.   But I'm using 10.7 which doesn't allow this.  (It's not that I'd begrudge the upgrade costs - it's because of legacy apps.)   And the other sync issues due to different of file formats on iOS remain. I really hope Apple addresses this.
  I find those most frustrated with iWork, are those who use it. I've always used iWork, and it's predecessor AppleWorks, since it was known as ClarisWorks 2.1.    Apple has seriously neglected iWork on OS X, (as it did for long periods with AppleWorks).  iWork 09 => very minor update in '12.  Says it all.   Forget arguments about feature comparison with MS Office. For those using an office suite on both a desktop/laptop and tablet/smartphone - elegant synchronisation is...
I don't use Facebook, and resent it being listed as a send option in iOS. But I hope this comes to the iPhone - it would have to be an App. People who want it could install it. And those who dislike it needn't bother. Otherwise FaceBook obsessives may migrate to Android. But it's another move towards more interactive and functional Launchers/Home Pages. Apple fixed grids of icons is uninformative, lacks functionality and many customisation options. I'm hoping for...
Delay in iOS 7 may prove costly - it may mean delays in iPhone 6 or whatever if the new hardware has features requiring an updated OS. Hopefully not - Apple has seen significant fall off in iPhone sales prior to new model launches as people hold off purchasing to get the latest.
I'm not surprised about the iOS adoption, nor the Android malware.   But I am surprised that iWork is proving popular when there are such limitations, e.g no page creation in landscape, and particularly the poor syncing with iCloud. Despite the fact I use iWork on my Mac, I find it more convenient to use Byte Squared Office2 with DropBox. It's just so clumsy with iOS iWork having different file formats. And also there's the having to use a drag-and-drop-to-browser...
  The general interface is good in the general working of the device, but the App launcher is visually dull, uninformative, lacks functionality and customisation options. Even when it was introduced it was hardly innovative: the resemblance to Palm OS launchers would make even a Samsung lawyer blush. And one of the most popular App types on the Palm platform was alternative launchers.   The importance of this shouldn't be underestimated - when people try out smartphones...