or Connect

Posts by kevt

I find those most frustrated with iWork, are those who use it. I've always used iWork, and it's predecessor AppleWorks, since it was known as ClarisWorks 2.1.    Apple has seriously neglected iWork on OS X, (as it did for long periods with AppleWorks).  iWork 09 => very minor update in '12.  Says it all.   Forget arguments about feature comparison with MS Office. For those using an office suite on both a desktop/laptop and tablet/smartphone - elegant synchronisation is...
I don't use Facebook, and resent it being listed as a send option in iOS. But I hope this comes to the iPhone - it would have to be an App. People who want it could install it. And those who dislike it needn't bother. Otherwise FaceBook obsessives may migrate to Android. But it's another move towards more interactive and functional Launchers/Home Pages. Apple fixed grids of icons is uninformative, lacks functionality and many customisation options. I'm hoping for...
Delay in iOS 7 may prove costly - it may mean delays in iPhone 6 or whatever if the new hardware has features requiring an updated OS. Hopefully not - Apple has seen significant fall off in iPhone sales prior to new model launches as people hold off purchasing to get the latest.
I'm not surprised about the iOS adoption, nor the Android malware.   But I am surprised that iWork is proving popular when there are such limitations, e.g no page creation in landscape, and particularly the poor syncing with iCloud. Despite the fact I use iWork on my Mac, I find it more convenient to use Byte Squared Office2 with DropBox. It's just so clumsy with iOS iWork having different file formats. And also there's the having to use a drag-and-drop-to-browser...
  The general interface is good in the general working of the device, but the App launcher is visually dull, uninformative, lacks functionality and customisation options. Even when it was introduced it was hardly innovative: the resemblance to Palm OS launchers would make even a Samsung lawyer blush. And one of the most popular App types on the Palm platform was alternative launchers.   The importance of this shouldn't be underestimated - when people try out smartphones...
  To be fair, I find it damned annoying that I can't remove some of the unwanted and unused apple Apps on my iPhone. Can't even hide them. And when someone produces an App to do this, it gets withdrawn from the App store.
  You've quoted the 2 extra - a Samsung and DropBox account. I'm curious, if anyone knows what the nine are - or is this exaggeration?   I wouldn't crow about 'having to sign up the dropbox account'. iCloud is so poor for document sharing, even with (or especially with) Apple's iWork suite, that DropBox or similar is pretty mandatory for a lot of iOS users.    Edit: I guess Amazon for eBooks could be another one.
You've left Palm out of the picture. They were producing some decent stuff at the time. Better than the early MS offerings. Palm had lots of developers and a wide range of Apps.But they stood still, and failed to modernise their antiquated classic OS in time. When WebOS arrived it was too late - customers and developers had switched to iPhones & Blackberries.
  I'd accept even file compatibility, never mind full feature for feature compatibility.   I've long used iWork, and AppleWorks before it (since ClarisWorks 2!) Features are fine on the desktop.   But iWork document synchronisation with iOS via iCloud is a joke - primarily as the iOS versions are not writing full versions of the documents.   It's more convenient for me to use Office2 from Byte2 combined with DropBox - a sad state of affairs.    Maybe if Apple had...
  This. People should relax. Apple has done this successfully before. They are never going to do 'cheap and nasty', or join or a race to the bottom. They brought out iPods at different price points, and maintained quality. They've brought the iPad mini, and that's selling well at a lower price point without being 'cheap'. Sure, there are compromises by comparison with the top models, but gains in terms of portability.   It is not only good business sense because Apple...